Starfield by Bethesda -- PC and Xbox exclusive -- 09/06/23

Fair enough. And wonderful synopsis!

Custom-creating spells was one of my absolute favorite parts of Morrowind. And oh, man…that exploration. Oblivion felt like a step backwards on both of those counts, to me. And hell yes to flying.

Skyrim is an absolute masterpiece, and the ability to have a different weapon/spell/shield in each hand is just…really effective and can be a lot of fun, especially for spellcasting.

Still miss custom spells, but I deal.

Is it a spaceship game? Obviously it’s going to have a bigger scope, but could it not easily be along the lines of Outer Worlds, or for that matter Mass Effect, where the spaceship is basically a fast travel hub between planets?

Okay, touche. That’s a very valid point. And I suppose that jives quite well with “Skyrim in space.” So maybe my assumption was way off-base.

I’m going back to the information Alistair found on RPS -

It’s true that this may be background info. The Normandy also had weapons that were never used outside of a cutscene. But to have those kind of details at this stage of discussion might mean they’re a bit more than window dressing.

HORSE ARMOR, CONFIRMED!!!

The main story. I f’n hated it. The constantly appearing things to Oblivion, the very similar Oblivion instance maps for those … just annoying. Skyrim peppered things with the Divines much better in my opinion. And lets be frank, the dragons were simply amazing and still are to be honest. Nothing made me feel like I’m knee deep in a high fantasy RPG than when I had to run out and actually battle a dragon (after the first initial scenes anyway.) It felt so crazy. The fights against liches, also crazy.

That’s the only thing that drew my attention in this pointless teaser. My first thought was: I wonder how old that bread is. Then, there’s a sandwich shop nearby?

I don’t believe Bethesda can make a truly hard core RPG. Ever since Oblivion they’ve watered things down a bit more with each game.

I can only hope it’s at least on par with Skyrim, which was no hard-core RPG but still one of the most entertaining games of all time for me and an improvement over Oblivion. Still, Morrowind was the best overall experience of the three, even with the poor combat system.

Well technically there is an expansion that takes you to Morrowind in Skyrim, or rather the island north of it which, from the Morrowind Bloodmoon expansion…happens to be very similar to Skyrim (oops!)

If it is Fallout 4-ish, I won’t be unhappy, as I played that to death, not as much as I did Skyrim, but a lot. Loved the combat and exploration and stuff, didn’t give one hoot about the story or RPG-ish stuff. I would of course love a “real” RPG layer with that sort of exploration and combat, but if all we get is Fallout 4 in Spaaaaaaace, I’d be ok with that.

I have to ask what you mean here because we’ve played Bethesda games for like … ever … here and they are known for their style, not changing it. But when I hear, “hard-core,” I wonder what you mean. Dark Souls like? More complex leveling? More complex social or faction systems?

The one of the above that annoys me to no end is that RPG’s need to be more like Dark Souls. The sole game that has led a sub-genre of, to me, annoyance. Never while growing up did I ever play an RPG where repeated death loops was a game mechanic. Never did I, happily, play a game where repeated death and starting again was a system mechanic built into the heart of a game. I know we’re just sharing personal opinions here but no, I do NOT want that in a Bethesda game and do NOT hope that’s what, “Hard-core,” might mean, but I truly don’t know. I don’t mind hard combat or like in the case of Skyrim, difficulties that amped the HP and difficulty of enemies. But most surely I don’t want a forehead bashing type of game.

Again, hard-core is a generic term so it’s hard to know which parts you mean. I think you might mean just generally harder or more realistic, in which case I agree completely and we’ve had long discussions in the Skyrim thread about adding more realism to it via mods.

Probably my grandest hope here is that they leave this game open and provide tools for modders. They truly are what take a good game to greatness in many cases.

I think the main hardcore elements of Oblivion were the lack of quest/map hand holding, less details on skills/stats/mechanics(the player is supposed to ‘discover’ some of them) and generally harder combat.

As for the need to be like Dark Souls, it’s just what’s cool nowadays, part of a cycle similar to what happens in the fashion industry. You played plenty of games based on death loops (anything from Mario to Ninja Gaiden), it’s just that in the 90s the loop was limited by the number of lives.

Though Planescape: Torment had that very requirement for some quests.

It isn’t like they cannot. It’s that they don’t want to.

Fantasy, for us, is a knight on horseback running around and killing things
-Todd Howard

I really do not need hardcore RPG in my Bethesda games. Some deeper RPG mechanics, sure, but please don’t make it harder gain. I need my qestmarkers and some hand holding. I do not have the time and patience for Morrowind anymore. I thinks thats why I love Skyrim so much. Questmarkers, sure, but a lot of things you can just discover just by walking close.

Star Citizen vindicated!

Well not having quest markers really depends on the game. Something like Dark Souls and Control manage because there is always clear paths of progression. With more open games it is a bit tricky. Playing Elex now and yeah, no way I am running around a death swamp forever trying to eye spot herbs in the fog: Quest objective icons turn on!

Whats wrong with being murder hobos? Thats what DnD is!