Starfield by Bethesda -- PC and Xbox exclusive -- 09/06/23

Sad I won’t play this year, but happy they take the time if it is needed.

I don’t think anyone here would give them grief for ensuring the game is up to par and as bug free as possible. In fact, I think a lot of us expected this. But we aren’t a younger and more naïve market here at QT3, we’re jaded old gamers used to this. Here’s hoping it doesn’t affect pre-sales, etc, for them.

I will say this though, missing a Christmas sales cycle is a big deal. Remember Skyrim? November release. Fallout 4? November release.

Right? It was crazypants to believe this would launch on 11/11 of this year.

And if it had, I would expect it to be a bug-ridden mess.

Don’t worry, it’ll be delayed again to the fall.

That’s my guess, too. I just don’t see them releasing that big new IP blockbuster in … June?

140812081344-zalmay-khalilzad-fred-pleitgen-amanpour-interview-iraq-u-s-maliki-00061711-story-top

Right now I couldn’t care less about Starfield, and I won’t care about it until I can see if it’s even something that would be in my wheelhouse or of interest. This blind assurance it will be amazing doesn’t do anything for me, but to each their own, and I’m really glad for you that you have something you are so excited for that you’ll pick it up literally sight unseen!

Speaking only for myself, the way the game looks is almost incidental. It could be stick figures and I’d be totally into what they’re doing.

I’m not. And I have no preconception on how amazing it will be. I said I’m totally fine with limiting what’s being revealed until much closer to release, like this E3 was going to be. Also, Starfield will be free to try for me on GamePass.

I spent a lot of time in their previous games and am looking forward to trying this one out. I don’t need to see screenshots and videos to know it will be worth at least that.

And I remember the pre internet days where a lot more came as a surprise. No need to pre chew the excitement for me, internet.

Oh yeah, I get that for some of you that’s the case, but for myself I don’t really get why - what do you know about the game I don’t? Has there been written previews describing the gameplay and the depth of the mechanics or is it just the pedigree of the studio? I don’t really understand it, but I appreciate that for some of you the name Bethesda and Sci-Fi/Space Setting is enough. It’s not for me though, I’m afraid I’m going to need to see some details. Master of Orion 3 burned me plenty with it’s years of blog entries promising these amazing mechanics and gameplay systems. Put some proof-filled pudding before me, I say.

Same - I have hundreds of hours in Skyrim and probably 60 or so in Fallout 4 (I keep bouncing off second plays of this due to the base building stuff, maybe I should try again now, it’s been a minute), but I don’t think of Bethesda as a “play anything they put out immediately” kind of studio. I was always going to give it a fair shake though, and certainly I’d absolutely love for this to be just an exemplary title!

I’m not trying to evangelize here, if you’re not feeling it that’s fair. This sort of thing is totally my jam and I am quite sure I will enjoy whatever this turns out to be. I don’t expect everyone to share my enthusiasm though. I just put what info I can find out there.

Oh of course - no worries, I’m just curious now… what is the source of this enthusiasm? I don’t even know what kind of game this is. Third person action RPG ala Mass Effect? First Person ala Skyrim/Fallout? Do we know if there is some sort of central hub/base building, or space ship flying, or if we explore new worlds or if there are other games out that it will play similar to? Because right now, and it’s VERY possible I’m missing something and that’s why I’m asking, I don’t know jack shit about this except it’s “open world” and “a space RPG”. That’s not enough for me to get excited, there are tons of games on Steam right now with those two descriptors and don’t do anything for me.

Not crazy at all. Bethesda not showing any in-game footage, much as it pushed my buttons personally, doesn’t necessarily mean the game was in poor shape, it could have been a new marketing strategy or something.

As for being buggy, yeah, it’s a Bethesda game. It’ll be buggy when it releases in fall of 2023.

But what am I supposed to do for a year?

Play more Fallout 76?

Spend the next year trying to get that gigantic mod collection working correctly in Skyrim Super Special Edition Vol. 2.

Start camping for a 4070.

One of the devs in an interview did describe it as “Skyrim in space.” Not all of your questions have (officially) been answered, of course. A leaker said something about free-flying your ship, but that may or may not be accurate.

The “Skyrim in space” moniker is definitely enough to pique my interest, though.

Perhaps my memory in my old age is failing me but I do recall developers getting death threats for pushing back release dates.

edit: although you did say “here” so maybe that’s about right.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FluidDelayedLangur-size_restricted.gif

I guess I had thought we had more to go by, but I can understand folks looking forward to a AAA-studio made open world game set in the stars. I myself would enjoy something like that, but I really do need to see something before I can get on board the hype train.

That said, I do appreciate they didn’t hype us all up and THEN announce a 200+ day delay, so good on them there. But hopefully as we round into Q2 next year we start to get something, at leat.