Starfield by Bethesda -- PC and Xbox exclusive -- 09/06/23

Let he who has not bought Skyrim multiple times be the first to say they won’t buy Skyrim in space.

Just heard this was delayed, watch for a overloaded 2023 now.

The idea that RPGs have improved by leaps and bounds since Skyrim is news to me. There are lots of open world ubi games but they are not elder scrolls. As for Elder Ring, glad it’s good, but that is one game.

Alright, this post inspired me look up a list of well regarded RPGs in 2011 and later:

Skyrim
Dark Souls
Diablo 3
Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen
Mass Effect 3
Grim Dawn
Gone Home
Bloodborne
Dragon Age: Inquisition
The Witcher 3
Yakuza 0
Dishonored 2
Firewatch
Persona 5
Dark Souls 3
Divinity: Original Sin II
Dragon Quest XI
Nier: Automata
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Monster Hunter: World
Disco Elysium
Fallout 4
Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2
Elden Ring

Erm, and fit in there somewhere Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Lightning Returns, Final Fantasy XV, Bravely Default, Shin Tensei something, Tales games and other JRPGs I might be forgetting.

Relevant to this thread:

I really do need an excuse to finally start Outer Wilds one of these days.

But, i don’t think games like The Witcher 3, Elden Ring, Divinity Sin 2, Yakuza or Disco Elysium scratch the itch of a Bethesda style game. They are different types of RPG.
(and some of the games like Dishonored, Firewatch or Gone Home are rpgs, where the hell did you get that list)

True, but they might be relevant anyway to the notion being challenged, that Bethesda probably hasn’t learned anything in the intervening years from other RPGs that came out since Skyrim.

I think Witcher 3 is probably the most relevant game to that notion, since it shows you can do really detailed sidequests with interesting characters in an open world game, and Elden Ring, which shows that you can have a million dungeons and stuff to find in an open world game, and you can make nearly all loot you find interesting. I haven’t played a lot of games on the list, so they might have an interesting lesson that Bethesda might or might not have learned from.

Me too, but the time-loop mechanic keeps giving me pause. Like, would be be losing all progress once the Universe does its reset thingy?

Now I want Elden Ring in space. I guess that’s what Armored Core will be.

You learn to roll with it - seriously you don’t lose anything you don’t need at the reset, because you keep the most valuable thing: knowledge. I won’t belabor the point because we have a whole thread about it, but Outer Wilds is seriously one of my favorite games of all time. Possibly my very favorite.

Damn, I got Outer Wilds & Worlds mixed up again!

Wilds is the timeloop one & Worlds is Fallout in Space, right?

Correct.

Yeah, Outer Worlds is the forgettable “Fallout in space” that should serve as a cautionary tale for Starfield.

Outer Wilds is one of the best games ever made.

I threw Worlds in today because I wanted a break from Skyrim and i haven’t done the DLCs yet. I guess I wasn’t in the right mood because I bounced right off. The humor was falling flat and the looting is just inconsequential, I’ve come to realize.

This was my exact experience with OW trying to play it again late last year.

I used to do the Kajit run in 12 parsecs until I took a laser blast to the knee.

IMO memes, often driven by jank, got Skyrim it’s initial appeal and mods have kept it chugging.

Remember, Fallout 3 is “Oblivion with guns.”

But I have a hard time imagining “Skyrim in Space” unless it’s similar to The Outer Worlds…which I suppose is “Oblivion with guns in space” only with much less time / budget and mostly small segmented maps.

Starfield would be better if it was actually Outer Wilds but an RPG. A seamless single galaxy with multiple large planet bodies to explore with quests and stuff. (no time loop obviously)

Starfield is totally gonna be Outer Worlds with much larger budget and more serious style and artstyle.

Starfield also presents to me doubts in how actually is going to be played. Well, I can imagine well enough the game on land, it will be similar to their previous games, but like… are we going to have a spaceship with freedom to go wherever? Are we going to have space combat too? Is there going to be space trading? Can we land in a planet wherever we want or will it transition with a landing screen?

I am interested to see if Bethesda can present a main plot that is not AI based ala Fallout 3 and 4. I will be sad, but not surprised, when the main antagonistic turns out to be a computer.