Starfield by Bethesda -- PC and Xbox exclusive -- 09/06/23

Citing the old computer game Sundog and pen and paper Traveller as inspirations are talking right to me.

“Honey, it’s not you. It’s Todd Howard.”

Sweet! Can’t wait to die during the character creation process.

I like the character drawbacks having in-game ‘cures.’

taps fist on chest twice I feel you brother

More lines of dialogue than Skyrim and Fallout 4 combined. And skill checks are back for dialogues. Looking good for role playing.

And a more traditional dialogue system. Read it earlier… Looking for link. Someone will probably beat me to it, but it looks pretty solid.

EDIT: link to interview. Constellation Questions: Talking Starfield with Todd Howard - YouTube

Yea, that is really working for me. Can’t wait.

Thanks for posting that Q&A. I like what I hear.

I’ve always been curious about Traveller (Seth Skorkowsky regularly posts videos about it) but have never played it. I’d love to. So that’s good namedropping as an inspiration. :)

The Persuade mode looks very cool too. Starfield stays at the top of my “games you are excited to play” list.

I wonder if they will have psionics. It has been a very long time, but I thought traveler had that. I like seeing that in sci-fi games.

I almost cried when he mentioned Sundog. One of my favorites from the 80’s. No one ever mentions Sundog.

That would be pretty sweet! But my feeling is starfield is straight hard scifi. I’m ok with that.

Sundog is one of those games i saw as a kid on the software rack and wish i could play. It was Starflight and Sentinel Worlds were my early space games… but watching some youtube video of sundog i would have played that game A TON.

Bethesda still has the old pc gaming roots!

Come on, MadTV had some hilarious bits. The first “Dr. Kylie” one had me in stitches. And of course there was Nicole Sullivan as the Lancôme Lady. And who could forget Mrs. Swan.

“Don’t worry, I tell you every’ting! He looked like a man.”

Oh, I loved Mad TV. Don’t think I said otherwise. I think that show got SNL to turn it up a notch, it’s a shame it didn’t last longer.

Interesting interview with Todd. A lot of topics, Star Field included. Todd Howard: Skyrim, Elder Scrolls 6, Fallout, and Starfield | Lex Fridman Podcast #342 - YouTube

That is almost 3 hours long. Is there a cliff notes version?

Not really. Not much super detail just more general talk about game design, tone, feel etc You can jump to starfield at 57 minutes and it’s around 20 Minutes long banter.

One thing I found noteable is that he speaks about mods
in the context of ES6 but also how people can make a living off mods. So pay for mods are still on the table. And it sounds like Starfield and ES6 have been built for modding from the get go.

“It just works” /s

Yeah, I noticed that as well. Bethesda is betting on a long tail like they’ve enjoyed from some of their other games. He even mentioned liking the Inigo mod for Skyrim without naming it, lol.