Starflight 3!

Heh, yeah. Starflight was this enormous game; at least, for something published in 1986. It totally sucked me in for weeks.

The best game of that genre is still Star Control II, in my opinion, but I am watching this new effort with obvious interest. :)

Thanks for reminding me of the one question I absolutely have to pose to @Greg_Johnson!

So, why Forth? Was it just due to prior familiarity or was there a specific reason you felt the language was suited to the project?

I wanted to give you props for the old school hacking story. I’m glad I didn’t have a PCjr back then. That was well beyond my ability. I was just transitioning from writing basic to pascal around the time Starflight came out. Except for some knowledge of what to peek and poke in basic on the TRS-80 I had had previously, I didn’t know a thing about getting down to the PC hardware yet.

New email:

Ooh Lookie What We Found!

Today Greg opened up the ole archives for us and HOLY COW did we find the good stuff! Over SIX BINDERS WORTH of Greg’s original handwritten Starflight notes, decision trees for alien interactions, a mint condition copy of Starflight 2 (still shrink-wrapped!), a print-out of the ORIGINAL SOURCE CODE! GASP Whew! And what’s even crazier is what’s shown below is just about HALF of what we found.

There are some other gems in here, can you see ‘em?

Share what you find in the comments! And as always if you have any questions, want to share a Starflight memory or just want to say hi drop us a note in the comments as well!

Sincerely,

The Starflight 3 Team

That image makes me so joyful.

I love how they’re so happy to have a “print-out of the original source code” in 2018.
As I said above, this is my first contribution to a kickstarter-type-of-thing for a PC game. Although I have to wait until the end of 2020 at a minimum, I’m feeling optimistic!

This image is GLORIOUS.

Finest kind.

Same here. I can only hope it was done on a dot-matrix printer. Loved those things.

I loved the sound they made.

I remember working in an office with an open floor plan and several dot matrix printers. They were each housed in a sound dampening box. People constantly forgot to close the boxes. It was… noisy.

Re - Starflight
I remember getting this for a holiday from Compusa for an old pc. I also remember it not launching, calling customer support and having them send me a separate disc with the patch on it.

One of the formative games for me. Although my original copy is gone, I’ve got an original box/manual in storage.

Holy crap. The original Starflight was the first game I ever played.

Hey if all you dudes could kick in a few bucks for this, I’d consider it a personal favor. I really want to play this game.

Me too! Holy crap I really want to play it. Though, heh, I hope the ability to turn down that bloom effect on everything is possible. :D

I’m going to paste here part of a PM I sent to @Left_Empty literally YESTERDAY about Starflight. What a weird friggin’ coincidence this is. Here:

It may very well be the earliest memory I have, is playing this game.

Ahem…

Sonova. I tried searching but assumed it would be on the first few “pages” and wasn’t. Can a moderator remove this/merge it?

So is Fig the new Patreon is the new Kickstarter?

Way ahead of you. And yes, all must give. Give 'til it hurts.

I ordered!