Starflight 3!

Yes, I think they get too bogged down by the minutiae of the original games’ mechanics. For example, gathering resources and moving slowly from system to system are not among my top 10 reasons for why I thought Starflight or Star Control were fun.

Thanks man.

Georges Méliès was a fucking genius.

Found the comment where they say this:

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/starflight-3/comments/26699/26730

This is super baffling. “We only have a limited amount of time to do this or it won’t be done at all.”

Why such the…tepid marketing push, then? Gah, so mad.

Oh, and still at 48%. This isn’t happening. Fuck.

This is as disappointing as when Conquest: Frontier Wars 2 didn’t happen for similar reasons (no game to show, not enough updates, poor marketing, etc).

I never even heard about that, and I’d totally have bought in if I had.

Exactly.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1869102574/conquest-2-vyrium-uprising-rts-fans-unite

Man, that’s a crying shame.

So is the fact that Starflight 3 is clearly not going to be a thing, though the campaign being this mismanaged doesn’t give me a lot of confidence in the (purely conjectural) finished product.

Even if this fails, prior to the campaign I thought there was a zero possibility of a follow up to Starflight. Just knowing there’s some intent to do so is still an improvement in the situation.

That’s very true!

My brother and I saw F-29 Retaliator demoed on a PC at a local computer shop in Honolulu, 1990. The silky smooth frame rate was a “writing on the wall” moment for me, not just for C64 but even for Amiga. That and the fact that all the hot new Origin games were launching on PC by then.

I was pretty much done gaming by 1992 (freshman year college) and didn’t get back into it seriously until 1999 when I finally purchased a relatively state of the art PC.

Ugh, still at 49% of goal after the weekend.

As Derek said, doesn’t really matter at this point 49%, 75%. they obviously aren’t hitting the goal and from the way it was handled I’m not sure they were all that keen to do so. Seemed more like throw a feeler out there and see where it goes.

Another project I would have liked to see happen. The original was fun, and seemed to come out in the middle of the hype for Empire Earth. It and Battle Realms both never got the love they deserved I think.

That seems really deceitful.

I will say $400K is not a trivial amount of money they raised.

So maybe a kick starter for a lower amount or something? Or maybe fig does the indiegogo thing where they can make it anyway even if they dont hit their goal?

Also Greg Johnson is good people. I do hope it works out for him somehow. Sadly I feel this whole campaign was not so well thought through.

I agree. I mean look at their Twitter. 99% of their tweets are retweets from backers. How is that compelling?

Accentuate the positive, as the old song says. Maybe we’ve sent a signal, if someone is listening. I’d back this again if they get their ducks in a row.

Yeah, that probably is just my disappointment talking more than anything. I mean they did the backstage thing to see if there was initial interest before going ahead. Maybe they were just too tied up with the other project to get this to point they needed or to be able to allocate the resources needed to do a successful campaign, and the whole little window thing could be they need a project lined up for after Toejam and Earl, and someone is already willing to fund them developing something else, so if this doesn’t happen it goes on the backburner while they pay the bills with another project.