Starflight 3!

Why? To see what goal they set?

That, and there’s an excitement, a deadline for the campaign, sometimes bonus goals, etc.

Plus I never played the originals, so I haven’t pledged yet, but this is looking pretty similar to Star Control 2, which I love, so I’ll probably end up pledging once the campaign goes live.

Ok, just keep in mind you save 5 bucks on a pledge you make now.

I did not know that! So the lowest tier will be $25 instead of $20? Hmmm. Maybe I should pledge now.

No, it would cost 15 instead of 20. And take a look at the 45 dollar tier. That’s a backstage exclusive, would only run 40 after the $5 off and has some nice perks if you are inclined to spend that much (it has everything from the 80 dollar tier except the second in-game item).

Fine, twist my arm. $45 done. Just hope it’s not too much like Star Control. :-p

damn was hoping Hello Games would make one. No Mans Sky could be a perfect engine for a Starflight sequel… imo. Im sure this game will be ok.

Well Starflight and Star Control have a lot in common. For the old games at least, I’d say the main difference is how ship-based combat was handled, it’s really simple in Starflight and that’s actually how I like it - I don’t come to games like this for the combat. If you do, Star Control May be more up your alley.

I came from Starflight 2 on the Amiga, and was never a fan of Star Control. Honestly I don’t remember either game that well, but I have fond memories of the former and I believe I returned SC I disliked it so much. Never played the more actiony Genesis Starflight. Hence my reservations, but I am willing to give it some money to find out.

Me too! I also prefer the mineral hunting from Starflight to that of Star Control. I think Starflight did exploration better than Star Control. I also preferred the fact that you had to create a crew. That made it more Star Trek-like, which is always a good idea in my opinion. ;-)

It’s good. As others have pointed out earlier, even better than the PC version. (The new version seems to take some inspiration from it, with its focus on the ship/space view.)

I have thought the same thing.

I think I’d rather see how Greg’s vision for this type of game has evolved in the last 30 years.

Hey, Greg! Pardon me if this question is too abstract (you put my game designer brain into Early Concepting mode), but can you talk about generally one or two parts of the game that you guys are really striving to recapture from the original games and also a couple of areas that you plan on trying to make big improvements or to try a different approach? (I guess graphics and UI are maybe obvious answers there… anything gameplay related?)

Me either. However in my defense it was one game I always wanted to play, but couldn’t, because my parents bought Apple. I used to sit over at my friends house for hours and watch him play.

I only know this because I was just looking at the Wikipedia pages for the games and this stood out to me: Both came out for Mac.

By Apple I mean IIe->IIgs. It was many, many years before I got my hands on a Mac.

Ha, sorry I should know better. That crossed my mind after I posted. Mac did not equal Apple in those years.

Yeah, pretty sure I played on a ][+

You played Starflight on an Apple II+? You probably mean Mac Plus?

I remember there eventually being a version ported to the C64, but I don’t remember it being on an Apple ][.