Starflight 3!

Thrag is exactly right. Starflight pre-dated Star-Control by many years. SF1 released in 1986 and was started in 1983. StarControl 1 was released in 1990 and StarControl 2 the one more similar to Starflight was released in 1992. Paul Reiche and Fred Ford and I had offices across the hall from each other. Paul was in fact my mentor on Starflight and helped me get me first game designed and done. (THANKS PAUL!!!) I helped out a little as a return return on Star Control 1 and 2, but that was 100% Paul and Fred’s game. Anyway, just in case anyone is asking. And to whoever said the game looks almost done… HAAA!!! That prototype is really smoke and mirrors. We put that together really as a prototype to help us think about the game. For the real thing we need to pretty much start over. So don’t worry about things like bloom. It all has to get re-coded for real anyway and lots and lots of design and art direction is yet to come.

Wow! Cool story. I love that.

OMG HI GREG! fanboys everywhere

I was in middle school when it released, but first saw it I think in high school when a friend with a pc got it. I had a c64, so I was just left drooling as he filled notebooks with bits of info he collected as he played. In the summer after high school I got a pc, and immediately bought 2 games for it, SimCity and Starflight.

You know you could have played Starflight on C64 right?

Yes, but right about the time it was released in 1989 my 1541 drive decided it was done with this world. I bought the pc in '90.

I need to find a way to record my Genesis so I can do a let’s play of that version of Starflight.

Yeah they really didn’t take streaming into account when they designed the Genesis.

…AHEM…

No one likes a smart-ass, son.

Says the smartass who made the comment about capturing the Genesis. :D

And I’m pretty sure Qt3 wouldn’t exist if nobody liked a smartass.

I WAS DEAD SERIOUS SIR.

They need to get Protostar on gog.com.

Oh you meant a Sega Megadrive.

Nah man, he’s talking about literally capturing Peter Gabriel and making him perform songs for him to record.

Well, if he gets to take ownership of that Genesis, I want to claim the Phil Collin’s era Genesis for myself.

Do you have a bicycle helmet and a GoPro?

Hshahaahahaaaahhaahahaa

So… forth? Was it just a language you were familiar with and liked or was there some technical reason for choosing it? Ever since I found out Starflight was written in it I’ve been curious.