Starpoint Gemini Warlords - I aim to misbehave

Just bought this but only now got to this thread, and it isn’t sounding like a made a wise decision. I blame Steam reviews. Anyone still playing this or have any comment beyond the controls and lackluster combat? That’s like, a huge portion of the game. :(

Sorry, man. The controls just never clicked for me. It’s a shame because I’m pretty sure I’d like the game otherwise.

I’ve stuck with open world style space games long after they were fun just because I was in an open world space game. The X series comes to mind (X2, X3, etc.) So that part of me thinks this would be real fun, allowing me to do multiple things depending on where I was at in-game; trading, fighting, building, exploring, etc.

But all the control comments make me wonder what’s up. I could still return this on Steam if needed.

Use the fire at will Command. It’s way easier to deal with the controls that way.

I disliked the bland map and space movement stuff so much I quit after < 10 hours.

It’s intended to be that way.

I recently starting playing Starpoint Gemini: Warlords and am thoroughly enjoying it. I’m rather surprised by how negative everyone is in this thread. If you go in expecting to play something like Everspace or House of the Dying Sun or any other space fighter sims, you’re going to be sorely disappointed. But this game is supposed to be different.

The controls are more akin to e.g. Star Trek: Legacy (which I can attest plays great with a controller and is, by all accounts, terrible when played with mouse and keyboard). You’re not the pilot of a single-seat fighter craft, but the captain of a larger starship. You shouldn’t be firing manually, except heavy weapons (which conveniently home in on enemy targets). You toggle “fire at will” on or off – it should really only be off when you’ve disabled an enemy vessel and want to capture it rather than destroy it.

Honestly, Warlords, at least, does a good job of explaining the controls when you play the tutorial. And if you’re not using the radial action menu (with fire at will, hail, scan, transport, grapple, etc. options), you’re playing it wrong. This really is more of a capital ship game with strategic elements, and more akin to e.g. the Starfleet Command games or Star Trek: Legacy (or Star Trek: Tactical Assault for the PSP), than something like Star Citizen or Rebel Galaxy and so on.

Yes, the game is a little rough around the edges: I think the menu, when docked, is cumbersome, the voice acting is often a bit ropey, and the writing is sometimes not exactly stellar. But overall, this is an enjoyable game that offers a satisfying starship experience with a fairly smooth sense of progression.

Hm, that’s interesting to hear this game works well a controller, since I believe this was released fairly recently on consoles. Maybe I should give it a try …

Yeah, from what I remember, Starpoint Gemini 2 didn’t really work all that well with the controller, but they improved things a lot with Warlords.

Yeah, even though I still prefer mouse and keyboard, the gamepad controls are night and freaking day when going from 2 to Warlords.

Hi!

I’m a community manager for LGM Games and I just wanted to share with you some news regarding SPGW. As you may already know, SPGW went out of Early Access almost a year ago but we nevertheless continued to update, tweak and fix bugs in the game.

This month we’re preparing a huge 2.0 update that will bring an overhaul in diplomacy (factions will be able to declare war on you and react in other ways towards you), new equipment, a brand new ship, improvements for game controllers and better hints for new players.

If there’s anything else you’d like to know about the game or the update, feel free to ask me here or in inbox. :)

P.S. Mods, I hope this post isn’t spammy, I wanted to reach out first to you via message but, for some reason, I couldn’t send you one.

Cheers!

Hi there, LGM. No problem, this is totally cool of you to drop in. Thanks for the heads-up! I think the obvious question folks might have is what sort of timeline you’re talking about. It sounds like you’re saying it should be out this month?

(I’m not sure why the forum wouldn’t let you send me a PM, but I’ll give it a stern talking to.)

-Tom

Hi @tomchick!

Yes, we’ve just announced the date - April 23rd. If the apocalypse doesn’t kill us all first. :D JK!

We’ve also released a dev diary (on Steam) regarding changes in diplomacy system, which you can read here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/419480/discussions/0/3288067088103393778/

In short (if you don’t want to be rerouted to Steam):

Diplomacy has been overhauled in order to make AI factions more “alive”.

• faction can hail you, and declare war even if its neutrally aligned, or even friendly, which largely depends on your actions in the game;
  • some faction may ask from you to declare war to other faction;
  • factions may declare war to you if they feel threatened by seeing you’re building Proxima;
  • other factions may ask to become your ally;
  • and more

Basically, factions now react to your every action. Want to befriend a faction that is an enemy to some other faction? Prepare for some serious talking. The same stands in event of Proxima building, which some factions may see as a threat, while others could see it as an opportunity.

I mean, that’s just a fraction to come and I would gladly discuss it (and the game) with SPGW players here. ;)

Is this for all platforms? Or not just PC, is really what I mean.

This is for PC (Steam) version first, then GOG build.

I can’t say more about 2.0 for Xbox One because we’re currently focused on bringing all DLCs to the Microsoft’s console (there are two DLCs left).

Yaaayyyyy!!!

I may have to give this another whirl.

If @LGM_Games is still there, maybe they could answer my question of this post: Starpoint Gemini Warlords - I aim to misbehave

(to recap, when I and my fleet got into a heated battle, all my companion ships appear to have abandoned me)

I hope it will work out for you better this time. We have added a lot of improvements and hints for new players and controller scheme.

Hi Papageno! Does it occur randomly or during a specific event?

It’s actually common when you’re cruising down a certain area, even with Sublight turned on, and an enemy fleet comes near, for your fleet to engage in a battle with enemy’s fleet. You should see them on the radar fighting (yellow and red arrows).

Hi @LGM_Games,
The post I linked to described it pretty well. They were still in the vicinity after the battle but I couldn’t give them orders because the game said that they were no longer part of my fleet. Which leads me to ask if there’s a morale mechanic at work and they’d lost confidence in my command.