Stars in Shadow

It was very far down the list for some reason. Apparently the Gods of Search do not smile on this game.

The development branch has diplomacy changes - all good, but there are significant stability issues yet to be resolved.

There are also some clear holes in the weapos tree (what are ion weapons for?). I hope they further develop it; it has a smart, tight design I appreciate.

Big new patch - mostly the above diplomacy changes.

Take the patch notes about difficulty seriously. Many players are complaining the game is too hard now; the AI has been significantly improved. (It’s still a stupid AI, so brutally functional, not smart.)

Also a victory screen (finally!) and graphs etc.

Glad to see they’re still working on this one. With better diplomacy, tougher AI, and the Steam sale now, 66% off, so I finally caved to the Rubin Ruined My Wallet effect and bought it.

Hah, love this. :)

Agreed, but in a good way. I have started a new game recently and find the AI to be quite challenging. Diplomacy makes more sense now.

In my current game as Yoral (six legged sciensey lizard bears rule) my expansion path has been narrow and the third, fourth and sixth colonizable systems were inhabited by pirates or star harpies. System four had the full monte of star harpies with an Engineer, a nest, three of their larger ships and over 20 harpies. It took me a long time to research the tech and amass the resources, given my teensy empire, to build a fleet of missile boats to take them out. I haven’t run into any factions yet but I bet that I’m so far behind them.

And this is on ‘normal.’ Huge universe, sparse systems.

One of my favorite gaming blogs, Matchsticks for my Eyes, last week posted a well-deserved appreciation of Stars in Shadow:

Yeah, I posted that on Twitter and apparently @Scotch_Lufkin bought the game because of it!

Yup, its a steal at that price. Unfortunately the sale is over, but it gets that sort of discount in every Steam sale, I think.

I just re-installed.

I see that GMG has the game and dlc for $6.

2-18-2021 8-35-52 AM

I grabbed the dlc, for a buck. Time to re-install.