Starsector: Best space combat 13 years in the making - 0.96 out (2023 update)

It’s an indie game man, don’t expect Elite graphics here. Regardless, the graphics are colorful, detailed and easy on the eyes. It’s very good looking game.

I was just referring to a different game you clued me into. I can’t remember the name and am not at home so I can’t check. But it was great, and i appreciared the tip about it because otherwise it was something I never would have touched.

I’ll check Starsector our sometime.

Ohhhh, I’m guessing this one?

Oh man, I still need to try that game out. When are we going to pass a law that adds more time in the day!

Star Fleet Armada? It’s soooo good. So good. And even though it has a lot to it, it’s great to play in short bursts.

Nope- although that looks cool. I just logged onto Steam on my phone (!) and found it: Drox Operative. So good!

Best space game of the last decade.

At least until this one hits 1.0. Then we’ll see. ;)

Dang, I was too slow to pull out that FTL joke out of my hat :(

FIXED for you!

Anyone know how big the team working on this is? I’m amazed they haven’t run out of money since it doesn’t seem like they have been aggressively marketing it in early access.

I don’t recall what version I last played but just the battle part as it was then would make a great standalone game.

Like everyone else here I can’t wait until they release 1.0.

Credits show 4 guys: one art, one sound/music, two for code/design. The artist I think it’s a contractor/freelancer, this guy, so possibly he has been paid by Alex (the main guy) per work. Surely, it’s the same deal for the sound guy, for this kind of project it wouldn’t make sense to have a sound designer employed full time for years.

Does that mean it will be coming to Steam at some point?

I think he is planning to release it on Steam, yes… but he wasn’t interested on using Early Access, it seems he is going to wait until 1.0.

This guy here! (Though I haven’t posted on Qt3 for a while.) Yeah, I’m a freelancer working for Alex (who is a great client btw, he seriously pays my invoices within hours). The talented Stian Stark - yes, his real name - does the music and sound, and you may know his work from a bunch of Cryptic Comet games. Last guy on the credits is Ivaylo, an old friend of Alex’s who was the original “loremaster” before I took it over (he’s now off running his own consulting business and having a family and stuff).

As for Steam, an early access game that has more than a year between major updates would not be taken well by the users of their review system, one imagines.

Hi there! I almost added that guy was the Dungeons of Dredmor artist, a favorite game of mine :)

Is Gaslamp Games going able to do another game?

OMG hey you!

Hi Turin! Glad you liked that Dredmor. (And, uh, what I can say is that Gaslamp as the entity it once was is not ever going to make another game.)

Hi Brian! I gotta take this chance to say that I enjoy your space game evangelism in general so keep up the good work :)

There are exceptions. But they are exceptions!
Personally I’m very fine with developers being spared the Steam stressorama.

One thing I wonder is what Alex is going to do for 1.0. For the longest time the industry update/colonies was the missing piece of the puzzle.

Does that mean that the game is feature complete, and from 0.9 -> 1.0 is going to be polish / balance / revamped tutorial, etc?
Is he going to add some kind of endgame? More involvement in faction warfare, being able to reach a ‘win state’ with your faction?
Or is he going to add some kind of central plotline questline for the endgame? for example with the existing lore, a hidden AI building up a force hidden somewhere would be possible menace for the sector.

Sweet! I love this game. I can’t wait to try out the new version. Thanks for the news!