Starsector: Best space combat 13 years in the making - 0.96 out (2023 update)

No idea, sadly.

How long is this been in development now? I bought it back when it was called Starfarer I think.

He started it late 2009, and it went for sale around mid 2011.

Man I bounced so hard off of Drox, that doesn’t give me any confidence.

Only the top down view is what’s similar to drox, rest is like mount and blade in space.

I’ve tried to play Drox but it hasn’t clicked for me either.

Starsector however I binged on hard when I’ve played prior versions. I’ve barely played Drox but the combat in that was all flying your own ship. Starsector is far more tactical. You can control ships individually but it’s not twitchy gameplay.

Whatever you guys.

I do plan to give Drox another shot at some point after searching out a good tutorial. It felt like something I’d like. What didn’t click mainly was what the heck I was supposed to be doing.

If you are playing, you may want to check this thread, where the dev has put the changes for the next version (0.9.1)

Dear lord what a list.

I gave Drox a good go, maybe 15 hours. It never stopped feeling empty, soulless or a bit pointless :(

Pulled the trigger on this today - it so far feels like an excellent recommendation. Wanted to resist the EA, but it is scratching a nice itch even in its current form (which doesn’t feel rough at all…).

Just watched @BrianRubin’s Starsector preview video.

RRMW* Alert Level 5.

Questions: (sorry if these have been asked and answered):
–universe the same each time or procedurally generated?
–multiple save slots? save anytime?
–can you set difficulty level?
–this seems like a 2-D version of the X series more than a Drox Operative-like. Is that perception accurate or off-base?

*The Rubin Ruined My Wallet Effect.

The ‘inner worlds’ is the same, or more or less the same, the ‘outer core’ is procedural.

It’s a bit weird, there is an option to save, that always use the same slot, but there is a ‘save copy’ button also, that saves in a different slot.
Yes, at least outside combat.

Easy / Normal. I think there was an option to start in a shitty ship and in debt that is equivalent to Hard mode, too. And and optional iron mode.

I love that this is a thing.

This is actually what I’m most interested in hearing people’s opinions on, as I loved X3TC but wonder if doing it in 2D would allow for a better interface for managing your burgeoning corporation.

I love that you are a thing. :)

Bought this a little over six years ago and regularly completely forget it exists. Thanks for the reminder.

Try this – the best Drox tutorial by one of the devs (I think he was the artist).

Thoughts @BrianRubin?

Unending Galaxy feels more X’ey than this does, to be honest.