Starsector: Best space combat 13 years in the making - 0.96 out (2023 update)

RC12 is out. Lots of hotfixes on this release! ;)

Is there any way of knowing when a new hotfix/version comes out?

Because even going to the forum there isn’t a way to tell that I’m aware of.

The dev’s twitter.

The official site blog:

This new release has now totally displaced all my other gaming time.

The mods adding new ships and weapons are pretty great.

The base vanilla game without at least some mods feels very bare bones to me from a ship/weapon content perspective. But there are a lot of excellent and pretty well balanced mods out there. A couple of my faves still haven’t updated and who knows if they ever will, but crossing my fingers.

And for whatever reason I’m really loving 700 range weapons this patch. Plasma cannons were always good but they usually felt inferior to Tachyon Lances in the past. I haven’t really dug through the change log to figure out what the change was that altered this (or at least my perception of it).

Wow, the skills have been changed a lot. What happened to Fleet Logistics? A lot of the new skills look pretty meh.

I need to figure out when to try colony stuff. I think I tried it too early and now everything is hell.

I’m always out of money and I can’t afford to do much of anything, since no money means no fuel or supplies to do anything.

It feels like a Pirate run might be a lot more viable than in the past based on the missions that pop up, which is pretty cool though.

Yeah, I’ve been tempted to colonize but I can’t afford it. I’ve found 3 capital ships so far and the monthly costs of maintaining my fleet and 6 officers plus all the fleet logistics costs are killing me. I had to scrap my combat Atlas II for supplies and fuel after I found my Legion XIV Elite Battlecruiser. I’ve also kept the Onslaught I found. If I can ever build up a few million then I’ll consider colonizing.

I’ve held off getting a battleship, sticking with cruisers for a good burn and manageable cost and I think that’s a sweet spot. That said, I picked up some of Tartiflette’s amazingly sweet mods like Seeker and Torchships which add a huge variety of smaller ships.

I might introduce a Paragon into my fleet if I bump into one though. My colony is now making about 50,000 a month after years of languishing at zero, so finally in a good place.

I ended up taking a Hegemony commission to stop the 50K per month cash hemorrhaging. Not ideal because it made me hostile with half the galaxy but at least now I can save some cash.

I have all the industrial skills and fuel really isn’t much of an issue because I salvage a ton of it. Logistics on the other hand is still a total PITA. I burn though my supply in a hurry and my fleet isn’t even really very big. I don’t remember it being this way before this release so I wonder if something was changed there?

Are you flying through a lot of storms? Because that repair cost adds up crazily in a short while. Emergency burn/transverse jumps also add up. The issue is that recovering combat readiness also costs supplies, in addition to combat damage.

Even with the above - I’m constantly buying supplies all the time, so you’re right that deployment/running costs of large capital ship/hi-tech ships totally suck. I love the game forcing me to do a trade off though.

No, I avoid them like the plague to avoid the repairs. To the point where if I hit one, I’ll reload. I’m not doing the other stuff either, except recover CR after battles.

Now that I think of it, In previous games I believe I may have had a mod on my capital ships that reduces supply usage? I seem to have a vague recollection of that, anyway. If so, I haven’t found that one in my current game.

There’s one - it’s called the Efficiency Overhaul which I mount in all my non-combat ships. It’s just 6 OP though so might be worth putting it in the largest cap ships.

If this is a storage issue maybe add a tanker or other hauler type ship to your fleet.

Nah, it’s just a supply use/cost issue. Installing the efficiency mods dropped my supply use down to 2.9 per day.

Well, I have to say that after playing the new update quite a bit, I think the previous version was flat out better than the new one. I don’t like most of the changes they made.

I think the new skill system is bad. You have to complete one side on an entire skill tree before you can get the second tier one skill. Since logistics and fuel usage are now so onerous, that requires heavy investment in Industry, like it or not. And a lot of nice, fun skills are gone, replaced by a lot of ‘meh’ instead.

Hyperspace is now tedious AF. No way now to mitigate storm damage which costs you even more logistics. Nebulae seem to be everywhere now, too. Nothing interesting at all is in hyperspace, either. It’s pure tedium to travel across it.

Hey, you can now get ship damage from bumping into asteroids. More logistics repair costs, just what we need.

What’s with all the AI officers in enemy fleets now? I guess they wanted to make the game even harder.

I haven’t seen even a single story mission so far after about 20 hours of play. Is there even a story now?

On the plus side, at least pirates don’t immediately come after your new colonies as soon as they’re formed like they used to. Cheers and celebrations for that.

This release may be an example of the dev simply overthinking things. He seems to be trying to fix things that aren’t actually broken and reducing the actual game fun in the process. Maybe development has gone on for too long and the game is starting to regress instead of getting better because of it.

I don’t recall nebula being as much of PITA before 0.95. I agree this change made it less enjoyable to play, although a mod called Solar Shields is supposed to mitigate this somewhat.

The new AI pilot skills is a mixed bag; I’ve come to accept its trade offs but when you bump into level 8 enemy AI pilots who happen to have a plethora of skills rendering their ships nigh unkillable, its a toss up whether everyone will enjoy that challenge. Early game, before you pick up your own officers, having a bunch of enemy officers can end your fleet fast.

I’m still pressing through but one of the things that has improved is that I haven’t seen as much capital ship spam as before, perhaps because I have refrained from picking up any myself.

First time really trying to play the game now that UI scaling has made it playable for me (Devs, thank you so much! Have been waiting years for that and I can finally play the game!). I took the salvager kind of start and did the initial tutorial bit where you open the gate and then deliver the report to Corvus.

I’m trying to figure out what to do here. I love open-ended sandbox and exploration games but there’s so much cost involved in flying around (fuel, supplies, etc.) that I feel like I can’t just roam around and need a gameplan first. And since I haven’t played before, I don’t really know what I should be doing. It’s hard to gauge what might be too far, what might be too difficult, etc.

Any getting started kind of recommendations would be great. I just need a stable way of making money/replacing supplies in order to feel free to roam around and explore the game. I tried surveying some planets but that seems to be a big losing endeavor in terms of planetary data, since it costs some precious supplies. I’m also not sure if I should be recovering ships and selling them in port or just scrapping them for materials?

I have found stuff doing exploration that i don’t want to spoil because it was cool (and also destroyed me so i don’t really know what happens.)

And there are some special missions you can get in the academy in Galatia system (the one that messes up the jump point in the tutorial) that i think opens up into more story missions, i havent done many yet to know.