Starsector: Best space combat 13 years in the making - 0.96 out (2023 update)

A big trade ship gets detected on the way in due to the big signature.

A fleet of small ships like hounds (fast, good cargo and shielded compartments) can go dark and never get detected.

Sure, but I’m not talking about avoiding detection, I’m talking about going in with your lights on and your holds full of (mostly) legal goods.

If 10% of your cargo is illegal, but that 10% is shielded, then 19 out of 20 customs stops won’t find anything. Assuming the wiki right about this. Anyway, I’d rather be blasting than trading.

Yeah but im talking about fun here hah

I had two colonies in the same system. And then I had one. Both had positive growth, were in the 6 -9 stability range. The older one had good defenses, the new one had ground defenses and I was building an orbital station. There had been pirate activity but I wiped out the pirate base.

Anyone know if a colony can be destroyed? If so should I get an announcement?

I wonder if this is a bug. I had saved and exited the game when I had two colonies. When I continued the game at some point I noticed that one colony was gone.

Question: I am playing the vanilla version of the latest build. And I have a mercenary fleet that is much more powerful pursuing my fleet. They caught me three times and each time I used a story point to disengage. They caught me again in hyperspace and I’m out of story points. How can I escape them without losing my fleet? I tried engaging with a portion of my fleet and then retreating but each time that I retreat they engage immediately and I’m running out of supplies

How you tried talking to them? There are several instances in the game where the main quest will generate a fleet that pursues you as part of the story. You need to talk to them and make a decision if that’s what’s happening.

I did try to talk my way out of it initially and opened the comm link but I don’t recall what transpired, it was brief and my only options were to spend a story point or engage. What I do recall was that I failed to deliver some organ parts on time for a pirate gangster, so they may have taken out a bounty on my crew.

I reloaded and every time the mercenary fleet eventually catches up with me and won’t talk with me and I can’t shake them.

EDIT: It appears I have earned the wrath of Warlord Jorien Kanta, head honcho of the pirates. Looks like I’m effed.

Can you let the AI control your ship, but override one function for yourself?

I don’t believe so. It is either full auto or you manually control the ship has been my experience.

I thought you could set your guns to auto and just steer. I’ll have to check.

You can, that’s how I played. Worked great, the AI was much better at judging ranges and firing arcs, to the point of firing individual weapons.

How do you do that?

Yeah you always have to have control of one group.

Missiles tend to be the best option imo, since you can fire them at good moments when you see an opening and even if you flub it, they’ll probably do something by drawing PD and the like.

Very helpful as I misunderstood the auto fire setting

Shuma has it right, I used autofire for my weapons.

I also marked the settings box that inverted the behavior of the ‘strafe and turn to cursor’ button, since I always wanted it on. Made the ships much easier to maneuver IMO.

A news update that felt like it warranted a thread bump for:

Just got this in early July. Started out as an explorer, but have now developed into a highly effective murdering bounty hunter! I think I killed so many pirates that they are hunting me as I narrowly escaped a 4 fleet pile-on, who all chased me back to the central sector. This is making finding a system to settle difficult.

Has this really not been updated since December of last year? As it’s still not done, why the long pause?

Long waits between updates has been the norm for the project, hasn’t it? It’s been in development for 11 years, after all. :)

For example, Starsector 0.8.1a was released June 3 2017. The next update was Nov 20 2018. So give it another year or so. Hah!

Yeah, jpinard comment is kind of hilarious… in a slightly sad way. This is normal, the last 4 years had annual releases of new versions, more or less.