Starsector: Best space combat 13 years in the making - 0.96 out (2023 update)

I really enjoyed Starsector but I really wish they found a way to not make it feel like a logistics sim. There was always the need to worry about fuel and supplies and people which was an okay mechanic at first but started just being a nuisance in the endgame.

By the endgame i have so much cash that fuel and supplies (and fuel and tanker ships) arent a problem, also the gate system makes it pretty easy to get around the map.

Yes, that’s what annoys me. It goes from a major mechanic to being “oh better not forget to fill up the tank again” level. Some way to automate that level of fiddly would be nice.

Games that trigger my “do I have to do everything around here” impulse are not fun for me. Being able to recruit a quartermaster who takes care of such things would make it more enjoyable.

I felt the same way. It’s kind of similar to how I feel about survival games, for the first little while it’s fun just trying to survive but after a while keeping my character fed and the like just becomes a chore. Scrounging for basic supplies is the killing rats equivalent of a CRPG, it’s fine for the first while and makes for noticable progression but eventually I want to be doing more interesting things.

Not saying the game should be changed or anything but it’s why my playthrough petered out and it failed to really hook me long-term.

Sorry to be the bearer of some sad news.

That sucks - I’m not sure who it is in relation to Starsector, I have to admit?

Dev on StarSector and Alex’s (the main dev) longtime friend, per the latter’s tweet when the GoFundMe started:

The link to the tweet/GoFundMe was posted in this thread so was updating on that situation. Sorry, I should have provided more context since it’s been a couple years, but I was on my phone.

No worries, I only know the name “Alex” from the blogs and wasn’t sure if this was him or maybe even the little kid in the photo, so I appreciate the clarification!

Ivaylo wrote the installer and some of the early codebase; not sure of all the details there. And did do all of the original setting/descriptions for Starsector that I’ve built up from.

I spoke with Ivaylo only a couple times, but he was definitely a big personality; I had always thought, if Alex wants to really market this game, he just needs to get Ivaylo talking about it. (- And then you get bonus embarrassing stories about Alex which he’d never, ever tell.)

I didn’t know Ivaylo well, but he was a good dude and lots of fun even in the short time I interacted with him. And, since, I’ve spent many years building upon the foundation he laid. He will be missed.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for filling in the details, I appreciate it.

Provisional patch notes for upcoming version. Maybe in 2-3 months if we have luck?

This will be good to dip back into. Sounds like events system could spur a new phase of content modding.

(updated thread title)

sigh.

Updated patch notes

This game always makes me glad things like Steam exist now. Whenever I see there is an update I realize I am going to need to go to the site, find out where to download it, and then hopefully remember my login password in order to get the license so I just end up not bothering to go do all that.

Doubly so for mods and Steam Workshop. Having to track down a dozen mods and make sure they’re up to date is not something I miss.

For me it usually is, damn where did I put the mail with the key. Then where did I order this from, and then requesting btmicro send me my key again. :)

Yeah, I remember making fun of Steam back when it first started. Fool.