Starsector: Best space combat 13 years in the making - 0.96 out (2023 update)

They just inadvertantly recreated Gratuitous Space Battles!

The dev updated the patch notes yesterday

From the comments it seems he still needs to do some playstesting and a new starter system before he releases this version.

Dear lord, it’s beautiful.

http://www.ksoy22zr5deu.dioselgato.com/graphics/shirt_gallery/gifs/2001_design.gif

Added “Distress Call” player ability; may result in friendly fleet arriving with some fuel or supplies
May now receive distress calls while traveling through the Sector

That’s pretty cool, and knowing him it will be fully simulated (I suppose all ships in a x radius near the player get the call, allegiances are checked, etc)

Ejecting cargo

I was wondering what is the intention for this, but then I remembered you have ‘weight’ that affect your travel speed, so think old sea ships, with people throwing out valuables to get away of pirates.

Surveying planets now generates a “Survey Data” commodity. High-class data is extremely valuable

I think I like this idea more than the typical ‘space mining’ you see in other games, where the player obtain resources just clicking an asteroid.

Planets that don’t already have related jump points (i.e. gas giant gravity wells) get “nascent” gravity wells in hyperspace
Transverse Jump ability: Jump into systems using nascent gravity wells

Cool idea. People with that ability (needs Navigator 3) will have maybe twice the warp jump points than other players.

Debris fields generated by battles now sometimes yield recoverable (but badly damaged) ships.

It has to be pretty cool to scan a debris field and discover a usable ship. And the debris fields are spawned dynamically, as there are battles in the systems.

Battles now generate derelict ships that slowly drift away, can be salvaged, and are eventually lost

More of the same, very cool that real battles can produce stuff and evens like derelict ships in the star map.

Ship recovery

Again very cool, I can imagine myself with a fleet of recovered, broken piece of shits that has seen better days.

I’ve been watching a Let’s Play series for the last couple of weeks that plays the latest version of Starsector with some mods.

I’m perfectly ready for this to be out.

I would so buy this if I knew I’d get a steam key when it gets on there eventually.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/2017/03/29/ships-log-of-salvage-daves-final-mission/

Dev diary of new version, sort of.

What a tease i want the update :(

New version is out btw!

I’m on a vacation trip so i can’t really play until may, so give me some good impressions :p

ZOMGYAy!

This isn’t a complaint and I apologize if this has been asked before (maybe even by me?), but is there a reason he hasn’t chucked this on Steam Early Access yet?

Funny thing, I couldn’t find my key at first… because the original email said ‘Starfarer’, and not ‘Starsector’.

He says he wants to wait until it’s done. Like with Matrix games of yore, the people on the forum are praising him for keeping it off Steam.

W00t. I know what I’m doing this weekend.

Well… hopefully.

This game is only 244MB, it must be really shitty!

It totally is. You should avoid it at all costs.

YOU must be really shitty!

runs away crying, locks self in bathroom

Hahaha! It’s probably way too obscure, but I was just riffing off of all the crap the Evochron developer got over the years because of how small the download size of his games are/were. He took enough flak that he had to create a webpage to explain and “justify” the small size.

Starsector looks like there’s a lot of good stuff… but of course that can’t be true if it’s only 244MB!

So can anyone just download the game from the site? I went on and just downloaded and started playing.

I never had to enter any of my info from the email I got back in 2012 when I purchased.

Yo only have to enter the key once in every computer so you probably did that long algo.