Starsector: Best space combat 13 years in the making - 0.96 out (2023 update)

Mods will add a terrific amount of content and well worth it.

Thanks! I will look into those next.

New blog was posted.

I wonder if I was too optimistic on the year I picked.

New patch notes are up!

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=22918.0

WOW! When does that come out? I think I’ll finally give it a whirl when it does.

No one knows

If we are lucky, next year.

I thought since he posted those update notes it’d be coming in a eeek or two? But guess not?

Well, his posting notes means it’s getting closer, but it still could be in 4-6 weeks, from previous experience.

Guess I’m gonna wait a bit to play then. It was on my short list to the point that I might have fired it up right before I read this.

Alex said in one of the first few posts following the patch notes that they could count on it being released soon so I guess we’ll see.

Sorry, not news of the 1.0 release, but a new update is available.

https://fractalsoftworks.com/2021/12/10/starsector-0-95-1a-release/

With the way you phrased it, i though it was just updated patch notes, but that is actually released!

Thanks, clarified a bit! Usually whenever this thread is bumped, it’s met with “Arghblarghl don’t bump this until the game is out!” so I wanted to get that out of the way first. :)

For a .1 update, it has several new things, it isn’t only bugfixing

• Skill system changed for more flexible builds with more options

• Several new game-changing top-tier skills, and other new skills

• All skills can be re-specced, no more “permanent” skills

• New ships: Eradicator-class Fast Cruiser, Manticore-class Destroyer, Vanguard-class Frigate

• Missions show the mission target location prior being accepted

• Dynamic slipstreams that enable quick and efficient travel in hyperspace

• Sensor ghosts in hyperspace!

• Improved early access to ships and weapons through arms dealers

• Phase cloak changes to make phase ships easier to deal with if they’re outmatched

• Ship AI improvements; ability to issue a “defend” order targeting a friendly ship

Oh shit. I’ve been holding off on playing again since he released the patch notes.

It’s time to make a pirate-killing playlist and get stuck in, I guess.

(I literally checked their website last night btw, so this was unexpected)

Is it time I should get into this for the first time?

So his new “Defend” order seems useless.

Every time I’ve used it my fleet immediately abandons whatever ship I told them to defend and leaves it to die alone while floating around watching it die. I think it’s basically a 100% result for me.

“Defend the carrier.”
“Run away from the carrier and a couple of us hide behind it, never getting in weapons range and watch it die, gotcha.”

Their PD doesn’t even help because they’re so far away it can’t shoot the swarms of missiles and fighters coming at the ship they’re “defending”.