Starsector: Best space combat 13 years in the making - 0.96 out (2023 update)

Thank you!!! I didn’t even notice the options tab there.

It may mess up things with the 2d sprites. AA is designed more for 3d polygons.

If you use the new UI scaling it does say to set AA to 12.

Bit of a random observation, but found it interesting the two games I’m playing the most right now are both written in java by solo developers, this and Remnants of the Precursors.

That’s why I let the AI do my flying, because all of mine turns out like this.

Word.

Today was a hell of a day to realize I’ve completely forgotten how to play this game.

I’ll get to it at some point, but my eyes kind of glazed over and I got my face punched in by random pirates because I forgot how to spaceship.

Yeah, I spent a little time in it tonight and quickly realized I’ve forgotten everything I ever knew about this one.

Haha, glad it’s not just me. At least I can read the fonts now.

Wow, glad I bought this … in 2012. :-) This version is fun. I am getting a strong Traveller vibe from the setting, which is just what I was looking for! Interesting game.

Yes, this is great for my old eyes. I had been doing a UI scaling workaround on earlier versions, but they weren’t as large as this allows. Great improvement.

I remember specifically recording a video to explain to people how I played this game and I also did that for future (present) me. I haven’t rewatched it yet, but I’m going to before I even download this sucker again.

EDIT: I found them - it looks like I did one for the early game as well, which is handy.

It was 2013 for me, back when it was called Starfarer, which in my opinion is a vastly superior name. Looking forward to actually playing it someday!

I gave it another go and did better, but my threat assessment is basically non-existent so I keep dying.

Also, apparently the Explorer Start starts with literally zero money. Which… makes it shit. Merc start has 50k to start with. Explorer has zero. Which means you have to fight pirates in the first system, something you’re not great at, to even pay your upkeep costs. No Exploring for you.

So back to giving a Merc run another shot and probably running away from stuff.

Been playing it a bit more and it’s the same ole goodness.

I do have an issue with a lot of the new missions. In that they’re literally impossible, which is silly.

“Smuggle these drugs into Place X.” Okay, sure, I got shielded holds.
Head over there. Oh you can’t get in there if anyone sees you. Any. One.
There are 3-5 fleets that are permanently parked over the world that never leave or go anywhere.
The second you turn off your transponder they blast towards your sketchy ass.

It’s just dumb. I literally sell shit to various Black Markets all the time. Offering me 20k to do something that’s literally impossible is dumb. The only way to do it is kill every fleet in the sector so they can’t see you.

In this universe smuggling wouldn’t exist because you can’t do it.
And then other times you can do whatever. The mission is like “yeah just drop that shit off, it’s cool”.

The Scavenger start is my favorite. You can find some really nice stuff early on and I love the starting Apogee flagship.

Hey! We’ve been trying to reproduce this (explorer start, normal/easy, tutorial/skip) and haven’t had any luck. It should always give you between 18k and 50k. Are we missing a case here?
(Latest hotfix version is RC11, fwiw, though I just tried it on RC8.)

And ah, otherwise glad people are mostly having fun! thumbs up

I’d have to look what version I’m on, it’s entirely possible my broke explorer start was a fluke or some odd version.

Edit: Looks like RC9? I’ll update to RC11. I started a new Explorer on RC9 and had 50k, so heck if I know what happened. :)

Nothing more exciting than running out of fuel near a blackhole.