Starsector: Best space combat 13 years in the making - 0.96 out (2023 update)

Definitely. I read that it’s possible for even 175% especially if you have Alpha cores running them.

If you surveyed a world that had ruins, but didn’t explore the ruins, is there something that tells you that short of going back to the planet? Is there some indication on the planet list or something?

I ran low on cargo space while exploring and left some ruins unexplored a while back. I want to go and make a sweep of them now but I neglected to take notes.

I had wanted to have some feature that allowed me to set markers on planets for the same reason.

Like unexplored stations or derelicts because of remnant or radiant defences.

Edit: I just made a suggestion of this in their suggestion sub-forum

Ok, set up a colony. It’s way off the beaten path, don’t really know what I’m doing but figured if you’re going to figure it out it’s by just doing and learning from your mistakes.

Got one administrator, have slot for 3, so guess I should go hire couple more. I was looking since I’ve got beta and alpha cores where you have the option to make them the administrator, is that now how that works?

Thanks, I’ve got some alphas, do I need to have them in inventory on my ship or the planet for that to come up as an option to install them as an administrator? Just trying to understand the mechanics of using one to run the colony if I decide to use one.

Are the number of improvements you make to a colony tied to size?

I’ve added like 3 things and it’s saying I can’t add any more?!

I think it’s tied to colony size, in terms of population, yeah. I should tell you what you need to grow - you only get up to … I want to say 3 buildings at the max population of six? Something like that.

Maybe just watch this:

Thanks man, and I’m pretty sure it is tied to size, I’ll get the hang of it once I’ve done it a few times.

I’ve got the money, I’ll probably throw some at it to spur growth because the pirates are already showing up and I need to scale to deal with them.

Edit: one thing that immediately jumps out from the vid, I do not have a strong enough fleet like what he showed. Time to spend some money on a better navy. ;)

You’re allowed 4 industries somewhere along the line—possibly at population 7? I have a bunch of colonies with 4, but it’s also a very late-game save now.

Not all buildings are industries. The ‘add a structure’ screen says which is which.

Think you need a size 9 world to get to 5 industries. The math on the population growth means that you’d have to play and encourage growth for quite awhile to ever see a size 9 planet. As in, you will probably be done with anything you really want to do before it happens.

I foresee pirates getting on my nerves.

The pirate base bounties do pay well though. Keep a look out for those in the Intel screen periodically.

I have never tried eliminating a base – I assume you need a shit-ton of firepower?

Depends on the base and if a fleet is guarding it.

Typically the size of the patrolling fleets is related to the base’s power. If you see giant fleets with like 3-4 capitals, the base would be tough.

What I would do is to attract the attention of a mega fleet some distance away, you can

1. lure it away and then boost towards an unguarded base to just do a relatively simple battle, remember to raid first for goodies with ground troops.

2. or, take on the fleet first, if you are up to it. You can normally take on the mega fleets, sometimes even if they have like 4-5 capitals when you have only 2. I use a border hugging technique.

Just last night, I took on a pirate fleet of about 4 Atlas MK2, 5-6 assorted crusiers and more than a dozen destroyers and frigates with an initial deployment of 1 Conquest, 1 Legion with 2x Apogee and 1 Eagle and a Falcon. I did not have the deployment points to put more. But I used my command points to order them to the bottom border of the screen, and they proceeded to tear up the incoming pirates.

The pirate ships are typically low quality so they overwhelm you with numbers by flanking. If you just let the AI take complete control, a small high quality fleet will get defeated the moment they get flanked.

But if you seal off your back against flanking by using the border, you’ll be able to outsmart the AI, they get into a traffic jam trying to get to you, and your missiles are in a target rich environment.

This is very helpful, thanks. I don’t think I’m ready, my fleet is only 8 ships, 1 capital. What is your fleet size and composition?

How is this accomplished? Simply by controlling your ship and staying near the edge?

I play like you, using only RTS. So I’ll left click on my ships and right click on a destination.

I do it when the battle starts so that the ships’ AI don’t have to figure out complicated stuff and just travel there. Then when the pirates start arriving, I’ll just selectively use command points to assign the bigger and nearer targets for my ships.

Having weapons range extenders like using long range weaponry and integrated targetting mods help a lot. Also get the command points replenishment skill so that you dont run out of command points to issue orders.

The fleet I ran in that battle was 1 conquest, 1 legion (carrier), 1 heron, 1 dominator, 1 eagle, 2 falcons, 2 apogees. I cant field all of them at once. But I’ll rotate them into battle.

Being at the bottom of the screen helps because the rotation is super fast, they can jump out since they are already at the bottom, and they fight immediately when they jump in.

OK, thanks, that helps a lot.

I have trouble finding these better ships. But I assume it is just a matter of searching multiple bases for the good stuff.

O yes. I spend a lot of time shopping around for juicy ships with no D-mods. They cost tons, but I think just doing missions will get a lot of dough, enough to start slowing upgrading.

I’m ruthless about selling ships I get in the beginning stage of the game. Anything with D-mods are sold immediately.

Using a fleet full of crappy ships basically just eats up supplies and fuel that you can save towards a powerful ship that can turn the battle. And being small, you can typically escape battles to fight another day. So I’m not a fan of flying around with ships recovered from battles.

Think I’m going to need to get me a real fleet like I mentioned above, because these guys aren’t that far off from where my colony is located and I know for a fact they’re just going to keep coming.

Right at this point I don’t have the fleet necessary just to take out their fleets, much less the base.

So, that’s the next step.

This game is just so good.

I find the bases easier compared to the mega fleets. Unless it’s a mega station itself. Most time, 1 capital plus 4-5 decent cruisers will do the trick for bases if you make sure it does not have a fleet guarding it.