Starsector: Best space combat 13 years in the making - 0.96 out (2023 update)

They publish design blogs every few months here: Starsector » Development

Most recent was last week.

Oooohhh!

missiles that fire lasers when they get close enough to their target

Missiles with laser beams on their heads!

It’s one guy, dude, and he’s been working on it like this for years. Have some patience sir.

Wasn’t he diagnosed with cancer in the last couple years as well?

1.0 will be out before Star Citizen releases, guaranteed.

Indie devs seem to develop serious health problems a lot.

Stay away from computers, people, they’re bad for you.

Honestly, stay away from indie development. If you have the skills it requires, you could make five times more at a big company doing a fifth of the work.

That said, I’m grateful Starsector is around – they can take their time.

To be fair it’s a lot easier to develop a game that’s only in 2D and has no elevator buttons.

I wasn’t being impatient. Was just confused. I hadn’t seen a game, even by indie developers with such large amounts of time between updates. Was actually worried he didn’t have time for it anymore (due to maybe a main job) and the last update might have been the final one while it was still beta.

No, Alex (the primary developer and owner of Fractal Softworks) doesn’t have cancer. That would be Ivaylo, Alex’s longtime friend who helped with early Starsector code and early writing/worldbuilding. Basically, promoting a fundraiser for Ivaylo was what Alex could do to help out his friend who had helped him out in the early days of the game. (Also, FWIW Ivaylo is really just a great guy. It’s hard to express exactly, but: I feel like the best marketing for Starsector would be getting Ivaylo on camera to talk about Alex. Also it’d be hilarious.)

Anyway, Starsector has been Alex’s sole professional focus for quite some time. We are indeed still working on it (and I’m trying to wrap up some other clients so I can put more focus on Starsector, as well).

Thanks for the clarification.

Thank you for the clarification! Hope Ivaylo is doing well.

Always good to hear from you @dbaum :)

Do you have a rough ETA on the next update? If not that’s cool! Reading through the blog looks like a lot of good stuff is on the platter.

A streamer fired it up last night on a whim and I spent the next 2 hours making a play list to listen to while playing.
Still trying to finish up some other games, but I suspect before the week is out I’ll be shooting at pirates and salvaging ships.

Please share when ready.

I just realized that between an email cleanup and getting the nzxt system last year, I’ve both lost my install and the key. Here’s hoping bmtmicro responds. Looking bmtmicro, I can’t believe it was all the way back in 2011.

In my experience it will be pretty painless.

I also found it easy to recover a lost key in the last year or two.

This game is tempting, always tempting, to jump back into. Maybe a good top down space romp until Distant Worlds 2 is in better shape…

Yep. 2024 will be Starsector’s year!