Starship Troopers: Terran Command

Some more gameplay.

Any impressions? Do your part people.

I uninstalled as soon as I realized it consisted solely of scripted scenarios chained together in a campaign. No skirmish, no multiplayer. I can’t imagine why someone would opt for this over, say, that Conan RTS, They Are Billions, or especially Infested Planet.

-Tom

I’m a sucker for starship troopers, and im enjoying it well enough for what it is.

However, the old Microprose tactical game was better overall IMO. Units do gain experience and leveling does get you access to more supply/unit options, but Tom is not wrong. It’s tough to love, unless you have a grand softspot for the starship troopers genre strategy genre…

I doesnt do anything wrong per se, its solid, for a modest uninspired rts, with no multiplayer NOR deep strategic campaign. The lack of one or the other is understandable due to the duality of these options, but lacking either essentially means it’s not trying to deliver anything for potential players to sink their teeth into.

And…FINISHED ROFL! I really am a sucker for this topic and strategy, probably just who this game was made for lol.

By the end i was ready for it to be done, but glad a played it. Although i really REALLY want to play the old MP game of this! That has something to chew on despite its issues.

Very mediocre RTS with no depth or care over from scripted mission to mission. Some missions were annoying, others had very mildly pleasant surprises. You CAN save at anytime but NO pause and play, which is a knock-off its allure for me.

Playing this is making me rewatch the excellent Roughneck series on crackle. The graphics are ok, but surprised how adult the content was for a kids show. Still holds up!

I really wish someone would make the old AH game into a computer game.

Not surprising that the game is a series of missions rather than a real campaign. Pretty much par for the course for much of the stuff Matrix/Slitherine publishes–devs at that level just don’t seem able to pull off anything more ambitious. Not necessarily a bad thing, but this particular subject just cries out for a campaign. I mean, who wouldn’t want to be leading a campaign against the bugs across multiple planets, managing resources, developing troops, researching weak points and ways to exploit them…

Just finished the main campaign i liked it, the missions were varied enough and it was enjoyable. Some missions were pain, specially the ones that give you low supply and you have to fend off tons of bugs (i hate you Tiger bugs). Felt like a tower defense game at some points.

Hopefully they add a grand campaign later.

This is a lot of fun. Not everything has to be high budget :)

Preach, my brother. I have been saying this forever.

I don’t think the underground mapping set up phase would go over well.

It’s probably why there aren’t any ASL games that in aware of.

Is there anyway to get your troops to auto go into formation? I can’t imagine you have to manually place each unit so they don’t overlap given that a mechanic is that they can block friendly fire.

If you hold right click and drag while selecting multiple units they will move in formation.

I think it’s pretty devoid of post C&C sophistications :) Ctrl groups are as fancy as it gets as far as I can see.

Just finished. Not that much tactical or strategic choice in trotting your men around the maps, but still fun for the kinetic joy of an infantry line blatting away at streaming beasties.

According to today’s press release about the roadmap for Starship Troopers: Terran Command, the game that “contributed to the renaissance of the RTS genre” is getting more content:

Bolding theirs. Too little? Too late? To be determined…

And in case you got some money burning a hole in your pocket: