State Department undersecretary claims Firefox is not free

I have only my experience to go on - but the primary reason why I had to develop everything for Internet Explorer exclusively at my last job was because Microsoft buggered up DHTML in their validation controls and took that tool out of my toolbox because no Mozilla renderer would do them right. I think that Firefox may have since made changes to address that particular issue, but I’ve worked for a couple of big huge companies where that was part of the problem.

The layout nonsense and script also played a part, though. Although I’d prefer that all client-side scripting just took a flying leap in general because it’s been nothing but a pain in my ass to debug.

You just got owned, dude.

A lot of lame eCRM front ends and shit use IE6 :(

We don’t do it for fun! There’s usually a good reason. #include EverythingRaymondChenEverWroteOnThis.

This is going to get interesting

Fixed your post.

No… he made a mistake, and then admitted his error. That’s called “being an adult”.

Jackass.

Dude, Jose has a job now. He’s an adult too! Look at how adult he is.

Digg’s developers conclude telling people who are still on IE6 to upgrade is pointless and sadistic, because over 75% of IE6 users do not have a choice…

God, I must have forgotten that Qt3 is a bastion of exemplary, mature, and praiseworthy behavior! How silly of me!

No, you’re just an asshole. Asshole.

I’ve secretly replaced Jose Liz’s brain with custard. Let’s see if he notices the difference.

I’m sure you have forgotten many things, but that’s irrelevant. What is relevant is that alexlitel did the classy thing in this thread; he admitted he was wrong. That is indeed exemplary, mature, and praiseworthy. He learned something from this thread, and came away from it with a better understanding of the world around him. Can you say the same thing? Can you ever say the same thing after any experience? I have my doubts.

Seriously? Saying someone got owned barely registers in the immature scale here.

Coming from Mr. “I’m gonna make more money than you”, that’s… rich? Ironic? Dumbfounding? Laughable?

FACT!

See, that’s what ownage looks like.

This expands upon what many of us are saying and giving examples of. It’s nice to see that Dig went the extra mile to do their homework, and it’s very enlightening to see the split of reasons why folks are using IE6.

Looks like there are even a few work users on pre-XP systems. Scary.

You would be shocked to know how many NT4 boxes are still in existance. I finally got rid of the last Win2K machine here in the past month. We still have to keep IE6 support around for some of our customers that “haven’t yet completed compatablity studies for Internet Explorer 7, and do not expect to have them completed until July 2010” (and yes, that is a direct quote from a Fortune 100 company’s IT department).

Microsoft running a jobs program (i.e. a stack and collection of systems that is incomprehensible and impossible to interop unless treated as full-time work) for IT pros? Hogwash.

Oh I would believe it. I was part of a large team that went through my last company to target systems still on OS’s prior to XP. While most of those have now been addressed there were a number of systems related to manufacturing, support and even security, that were running older OS’s. Imagine a multi-million dollar assembly line still on a 95 system, as well as several card readers, camera controllers and time clock readers on NT, etc. They are the forgotten relics of today, whereas that old IBM System 360 was the relic of yesterday. In both cases they end up being put in a role and eventually reach a point that they become cost prohibitive to even upgrade.