State of Decay 2 - Time is your worst enemy

I have no idea, I don’t remember seeing my bases themselves damaged, just certain plot upgrades.

My current base makes so much noise I’m attacked nonstop.

I’ve seen people use spare cars to park in those spots. Most likely that door has always been destroyed.

Just finished the game for the first time, as a trader leader. 0.81% of players have chosen to finish with this path so far. I finished on day 15 or 16.

I had a lot of fun with the game and learned a lot on my first playthrough so I expect the next run to go much faster.

You’re totally right. Just watched some videos and that gap was present in both. I was sure I’d checked. Hrm. But good suggestion about the cars. Even though cars are climbable, that might help.

Looks like I’m going for Sheriff, for my first completion. Having a hard time mastering the use of molotovs while clearing plague hearts.

Having a hard time mastering the use of molotovs while clearing plague hearts.

Yeah, there’s something wrong with these throwables. Here’s some footage from last night wherein the grenade flies out at a 45 degree angle from where I’m aiming. Do I need a better explosives skill?

My throwables always seemed to auto target in a general direction I sort of looked in. They also always seemed to give my people 2nd degree burns they’d have to recover from. But damn, they were great at clearing infestations.

Aaaaaaaaaaah! I left my game running but paused for about a day, came back and all my survivors are now dead. I was positive I’d hit ESC to pause before alt-tabbing out, but I must not have. Wish this game would just pause automatically any time it’s not in the running in the foreground. Wish there were multiple saves, too.

You didn’t set it to offline mode it seems.

Offline mode (Settings -> Multiplayer -> Offline) is and was enabled. I must have just left it on another screen and not the ESC/pause screen.

Yikes, that sucks. I wonder how that went down. Did everyone just starve to death?

(note to self: in the event of an apocalypse, don’t put barstein in charge)

-Tom

oh you must have been on map/base screen and not hit esc to pause sot it wasn’t ‘running but paused’ at all but rather ‘running’

Are there savegame utilities to cheesily backup the files (and restore) manually out yet like there was for SOD1?

Yes, they’re called Play A Different Game Instead! There is no reload in a zombie apocalypse. Buncha hateable savebabies all up in here.

Seriously, though, surely the saves are local. I imagine it’s pretty easy to find the saved game file and copy it.

-Tom

I sure wish I had a way of finding out! This game needs a log for situations like this. I misspoke, though, there is one character left. I’ll leave the “community” in place for the heck of it. Maybe later I’ll try to salvage it somehow. With just one character, that’s sure to be a challenge. Meanwhile, onward to a new community!

Totally agree! Starting over after failure is one of my favorite things about this game. But yeah, I tend to be a savebaby. In this case, I was just being lazy, though.

This turns out to be true. Naturally, it’s in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Dayton_8wekyb3d8bbwe\SystemAppData. I have no idea what’s what in that directory, so I guess I’ll just zip the whole thing up periodically, just for unexpected disasters like this one. I mean, I loved those guys and I’ll probably never know what happened to them.

So I start over with a new community. This is my third or fourth rodeo, so I know what to do: run and snatch stuff from all the nearby buildings as quickly as I can. Run everywhere to build cardio. Sneak everywhere to build stealth. Stealth kill as often as possible to build wits, and more stealth I guess. Stock up on stuff and weapons. Upgrade a few things in the base as quickly as possible. Take the early mission for delivering plague hearts right away. Take another for delivering medicine, even though it depletes my meds supply a bit. Don’t recruit the Living Humans group who like me now, because I don’t have enough beds and it’s good to have allies.

Then I take a mission I haven’t had before, which smells like a tutorial or noob mission. I forget the name of it now, but it’s something about getting a shit ton of building materials rucksacks. Cool. It requires bringing Nate along, whose traits I don’t bother to look at. Nate’s traits, heh. So Nate and I run over to a warehouse located a ways away, sneaking and running and stealth killing, with Nate warning me about zombies right about when I’m already taking them out. We finally make it to the site, and hoo boy, it’s infested. Millions of Z’s, many of which are plague Z’s and a screamer or two. I’m pondering the situation, when Nate suddenly ungroups from me on his own volition and takes off running down toward the infested warehouse. “Nate!” I think but do not shout because I can’t shout in this game, “don’t do that!” But it’s too late. Nate runs right up to a group of twenty or so zombies and starts wailing away, and I’m like, shit, well, you only live once, and I run down there and start wailing away with Nate. Soon, I’m almost overcome, and back off a little, and then a feral zombie appears and goes after me. Jesus, this is super early in the game for this, I think, and then my hatchet breaks and I don’t have time to equip a backup weapon but I manage to kill the feral with my little folding knife anyway. I’m out of meds, my health is low, my stamina is low, and I’m tired and somehow I make it safely to an adjacent building when I hear Nate die.

How does this happen so soon? Why did Nate run down there like that? I managed to complete the mission without him (bring back four building materials rucksacks) but I can’t figure out the moral to this story. I wish you could pull up those tombstones on the Community screen and read them. If I’d been able to read Nate’s, I’m sure it would have said something poetic about reckless endangerment.

Moral: “You can’t save everyone, some people are just destined for a Darwin Award”

How bad are the bugs? I number of the reviews mention them. Anyone know when a patch might be available?

Whoa, I have never seen that. I would love to think that’s part of the gameplay – a Leeroy Jenkins character trait or something – but my guess is it was part of the bug where your companions disappear. I suspect something happens that “unparties” them and they start heading back to base. If that happens in the bubble where you’re causing zombies to spawn, basically the activated part of the world, the character will then have to encounter the zombies. It sounds like he unpartied and then started pathing back to base through the nest.

That’s my guess. I could be wrong. I hope I’m wrong.

Not bad enough not to get the game. I played through a map and a half without bugs ruining anything, and I certainly never had them get a survivor killed like what barstein is describing with Nate. But it’s got its share of rough edges and I am looking forward to whatever stuff they iron out in their first patch. I don’t think there’s an announced ETA. Undead Labs’ Twitter feed, which I believe is their only online presence, says they’re working on a patch, but nothing about specifics.

-Tom

That’s a great theory, but I’m not 100% convinced because the infestated warehouse was about fifty feet away from us and in the opposite direction of the base. So Nate was definitely not running in the direction of our base when he ran to the warehouse.

Bad. Don’t listen to the pollyannas.

Some examples, all personally experienced:

Fight a juggernaut. You or a follower get knocked down? The entire UI goes away. As in, everything, including the option to quit the game. You have to alt-f4 out. This happens most of the time.

Followers may or may not randomly drop through the world, becoming useless. You can’t dismiss them, either. You have to exit the game and go back in.

Followers will also decide to simply set off on their own for no apparent reason. Usually happens around plague hearts. Have fun catching up to them trying to either a)dismiss them, or b)re-add them as a follower (why they’re not a follower any more is a mystery).

Explosives may or may not randomly freeze right in front of you when tossed. They may then explode.

Speaking of exploding, perhaps you’re one of those happy souls who enjoys plowing through zombie “hordes” (which, BTW, are never more than 3-5 zombies in this game). Sometimes the game puts a bloater in there. Only it doesn’t put the model there. Please enjoy running over that invisible bloater!

If you’re in a vehicle, you learn to stay very, very far away from guardrails. Vehicles+guardrails = permanently stuck guardrail and car. This kind of basic physics bug says all that needs to be said about SoD’s “polish”…

…not to mention the magical mystery doors. Is it open? Or is it closed? Like Schrodinger’s Cat, you won’t know until you try one!

I won’t go into the ridiculous out-of-thin-air zombie spawning, or the ridiculous infestation rates, or the just plain silly oversights and hiccups and goofs.

SoD2 is, to quote a Reddit post, the best shitty game you’ll play. I am eagerly, eagerly awaiting a patch on this one.