State of Decay 2 - Time is your worst enemy

There’s a problem with the game’s file system which causes the download to choke for 2-3 minutes whenever it begins. It doesn’t happen with any other game. But just leave it and once the store churns through the game’s file system, the download should proceed normally.

Also, you shouldn’t have to go to the store to trigger the update. If you simply launch the game, the game can trigger the update automatically. Or at least, that’s what other games like Gears 4 and Forza Horizon 3 did, and I assume that State of Decay 2 does the same thing.

Or, if you just wait, the update will happen automatically sometime within the next 24 hours.

My guess is that when a patch is that big it tries to allocate the space ahead of time which takes awhile. hence the delay, steam does the same for me on several games.

Well I updated the game and now the game just crashes as it starts up …

I spent more than 1 hour with Microsoft tech support the first 1/2 hour, the tech remote control my PC for 1/2 hour
and than somebody on the Xbox support team spent another 1/2 hour. To be fair I had two Microsoft accounts and there was a confusion on my part about what account I was on. Still the process is way more complicated than Steam and no way a company can make money on $30 game if you have to spend an hour providing tech support.

Only 12 gigabytes left to download, I hope the game is worth it.

You might be right, but it didn’t happen for me. I booted it up several times, toggled the online status thinking maybe that would jigger the patch loose or whatever, loaded and reloaded two different communities, but the version stayed the same throughout. If it was updating in the background, I didn’t get any sort of notice or progress status. I didn’t even get a notification there was a patch.

I’m patched up now, but unless the patch isn’t fully implemented yet, I would have had no way of knowing how to get it, much less that it even existed. :(

-Tom

Mine is patching automagically when I attempted to launch the game.

Microsoft (cough) Games For Windows Live 2018 Premium fucking sucks. The thread title is more apt than ever.

DOOM 1 for DOS had differential patching for WADS files.

Well. It said it was patching. [shakes fist at microsoft]

I don’t know how the fucking makers of the OS and deliverer of updates/patches can make the download/updating process of their app store so fucking bad for previous versions of GFW middleware and now this bullshit with the going nowhere progress meter with still-useless error messages “something happened.” How have they not fucking figured this out?

I am a sad panda because I -was- in the middle of getting my money back but I got very excited for the 1.2 patch list. Unfortunately, I forgot it is MS we are dealing with. There is a reason Windows Store and Windows Phone are effectively dead…

Now I have a game I cannot even install after having to uninstall it. I really hope they work this out so I can get at least SOME value outta my cash. It is such a reinforcing reality though of why MS Store is universally despised.

EDIT: Yeah I had download it four times for it to “take” which it did on the 5th try and 120GB of d/l later. Thank god for gigabit fiber but even w/ that it was excruciating.

It was easier to uninstall/delete and redownload as the patching was getting nowhere and stalling on a 150mbps connection. The MS Store app is useless. I don’t know how MS manages to do worse than Origin, Steam or UPlay–they wrote the fucking OS and should know it better. I mean, they had BiTS for years.

Welp, I still get the stupid mouse cursor bug. :(

I have two questions, both of which have probably already been asked in this thread before, but I can’t read through an entire thread for answers to two questions so pardon my breach of forum etiquette!

I’ve got an XBox One, but I haven’t used it in years, since I got my PS4, but I do have a Windows 10 computer, so how does this play on the PC? And should I get a wireless adapter so I can use my XBone controller? Or should I risk pissing off my wife by connecting the XBone in our new living room?

Also, I’ve never played the original. Should I start out with the Year One Edition on Steam? Or has the sequel effectively rendered the original obsolete and unnecessary?

So, potentially more than two questions.

A thousand pardons.

Ike

Plays great on a PC. If you prefer using a controller, then by all means do that, but I generally prefer keyboard/mouse and am having a blast.

Regarding SoD1 vs. SoD2, someone summed up my impression well, upthread. Ah, it was kentdog. Now that I’ve played it a fair amount, I can say that I agree with this.

Aside from the patch download timing out once and requiring a restart, I had no problems patching last night and no post-patch-glitches in the game, except for maybe this: I can’t seem to use a Craftmanship book.

I switched to the character who already has four stars (she started with the skill), but she just can’t use the book.

Are books only good for learning brand new skills (or for leveling skills that were learned via books in the first place), or are they supposed to level skills no matter what?

Edit: I just noticed that one of her traits is “Bad Carpenter”. Hmm.

Also, I’ve never played the original. Should I start out with the Year One Edition on Steam? Or has the sequel effectively rendered the original obsolete and unnecessary?

I’d be interested for you to play 2 first, and then go back and play 1 and see what your impressions are of both. That’s just my experimental brain that finds things like, “In what order should I show my kids Jaws 1-4?” interesting. Either way, I’d recommend playing both.

When presented with the opportunity to play a game and its sequels or successors, I generally prefer to play the earlier games first, so that I can enjoy the improvements, rather than be frustrated by going backwards in quality and QOL issues.

There are exceptions, of course. I played Dark Souls 2 when it came out to take advantage of the online community and then went back and played Demons Souls and Dark Souls.

I guess what I’m asking is, in a world where SoD2 exists, is it worth playing SoD1? If it’s still worth playing both, I’ll probably play 1 first. It’s remastered and on Steam, after all.

Yes. SoD2 doesn’t include a lot of things from SoD1, and I miss many of them.

My memory of SoD1 isn’t all that detailed. What stuff is missing from SoD1? I’m like 2 pretty well so far, although haven’t killed my first plague heart yet.

Bullet time for your skilled gun users. That’s not in there because it wouldn’t work in the stupid multiplayer. And it was just so frickin’ gratifying! It highlighted the gore, it made you feel like a badass, it never got old. And now it’s gone. Thanks, multiplayer! I also miss the escalating challenge of the Breakdown DLC, but I’m guessing there’s something like that in the works.

Otherwise, I’d be curious to hear what scharmers thinks is missing. I’m of the opinion that State of Decay is obsoleted by State of Decay 2.

-Tom