State of Decay 2 - Time is your worst enemy

I can’t speak for scharmers, but Rob Zacny at Waypoint claims State of Decay 2 dispenses with its predecessor’s authored character stories for more procedural characters. He compares the game to, um, No Man’s Sky.

He’s certainly cooled my enthusiasm for now. :(

If theres one thing I know about the apocalypse - every person in it will work well together and have a well crafted story.

Nice tortured zombie metaphor at the end though

I’d certainly never suspected to ever read someone who played the first State of Decay for its story bits.
I am snarky, I get what he means, but to me, all those preredacted story cutscenes in the first game were so forced and… well, simply bad. I couldn’t wait for Ed to finally get it. Lily, would you mind shutting up about some watches I have to go get? Oh, and could you stop being invincible? Kinda disrupt my tragic little world building.

I was much more attached to my depressed axman who went out, got lost, found his way back to be nearly killed by a Juggernaut right outside my base. He hanged out in the base, not doing much after that, but it was okay. Or my military trained girl who pulled wrestling moves out of nowhere, and nearly died in a car accident near that remote farm of assholes to the east because of a road bump.
My State of Decay was awesome. Mr. Zacny’s sounds as boring as a TV show.

No Fullscreen option anymore?

With the patch I’ve been noticing my survivors interacting more with the base, they don’t just walk around and stand. It almost feels like The Sims 3. I’d love a Sims 3 game with SoD gameplay! Still addicted to game, but I do miss the unlocking hero’s mechanic of the YOSE version of SoD. The original did have a good fairly ‘linear’ story mode, which is missing, but its not the meat of the game anyway, most of its the base and going on runs, which SoD 2 nails down pretty well. Can’t wait to see what they do with the DLC.

Maybe listen to the discussion on Waypoint Radio. Austin puts the opposite case pretty well. But, certainly, don’t go into it looking for story or interesting characters and dialogue. It’s a sandbox, or might as well be.

Just getting into this. Having a great time in the first hour or so. I love that I have this framing persona of community establisher rather than continual monster murderer like most games I play.

One thing that I wish they’d do is actually defend the fucking base. I’m so tired of my base being just a rest-stop on the superhighway that is SoD2’s broken spawning.

How the heck do you join another person’s game? Windows version. My brother and I are friends on xbox . com, both own the Ultimate Editition with the latest patch, tried setting Multiplayer to Friends Only and Invite Only, and although we can see each other in the respective invitation lists we are not receiving each other’s invites. He’s past the initial tutorial and in the game.

Are you guys both gold members? Usually Gold is required for almost anything multiplayer.

Also as a warning to everyone, do not delete a new Community with your 3 top level guys and cool gear if you dont like the map you started on. They are GONE forever. Learned the hard way.

That can’t be right. Maybe you missed the part where I said we’re both playing the Windows version of the game?

Nope didnt miss it but its still tied to your xbox account. dunno just putting out ideas. Im playing on windows also and haven’t used my xbox one s. All the Xbox stuff has gotten more confusing to use this generation.

I abandoned PC gaming a long time ago. Is fun to read that some constants remain true. Microsoft being simply bad about PC gaming support.

I didn’t take the Gold account idea very seriously, but went ahead and called MS Tech Support and ruled that out. The guy I talked with – who sounds exactly like Jason McMaster, by the way – had no suggestions or ideas, other than to have me apply a pending Windows Update and make sure my brother does the same thing later, when we try this again. Also suggested that we log out and back into the MS Store app on both ends. Not especially promising-sounding suggestions, to be honest, but we’ll see what happens.

Speaking of MS Support, I had to call them earlier today as well, to refund a duplicate State of Decay 2 purchase I made yesterday while troubleshooting this issue. Somehow the app had allowed me to click a button that invoked an accidental second purchase, and it only took about a minute for the support rep to verify what happened and issue me a refund. Very surprising how easy that was. (Sorry, person above who was struggling with getting a refund for the game!)

Rep I called to fix a non functional Xbox prepaid account didnt even have an Xbox and hadn’t heard of SOD2

Ok I’m getting pretty frustrated with this game. Twice I’ve got beyond the early stages and one of my character has a salvage and something mission. I can’t switch to the other characters, to load them the up with ammo etc. The first time I was just stupid running into Mob of Zeds, with fatique with the doctor and the recovered plague victim. The 2nd time I was more prepared was going to thin the herd with a few shots but the soldier guy says he has stopped following me and then he proceeds to run straight into the mob between the feral and screamer two dead characters.

What happens if you cancel a mission that a character is on? it says you lose all progress, what does that mean?. Is the mission gone for good. I feel like I’m not really powerful enough to take on this group and yet the game is channeling me to go there and not letting me properly prepare.

Accidentally abandoned hero class quests when switching characters. Is there no way for those to re trigger?

I’ve done the same thing, because I thought they just re-triggered from the start. I abandoned them, because they would often pop up towards the end of a run with a character that was fatigued or injured.

Anyway, they have never re-triggered, so I have to get new folks to camp to run their quests.

IT is actually the most frustrating thing I’ve run into with the game, and what might likely make stop playing.

Same, I was on the tail end of rescuing/delivering some people. Argh. I assumed I would get them to reappear but no dice.

Question about people you switch away from at outposts/bases. It seems they manually jog back to home–are they at risk then?

Also what do you mean by “get new folks to run their quests?” Do warlord/trader/sheriff quests trigger for other new NPCs randomly? or if not randomly, how to get them to favor a hero class?

Also, do the legacy quests of other classes become unavailable if you start one path? I can’t tell if I am supposed to do them before I pick a leader

Sorry, I just meant that I would have to get a new survivor, level them to hero to make their leader quest available, since I had abandoned most of my main characters, not realizing they don’t come back.