State of Decay 2 - Time is your worst enemy

Just moved on from map 2. Is there anything new that happens gameplay or plot wise in your third map? For me I think that’ll be one with more of a town. Second go through seemed much the same as the first, minus the learning curve.

Holy crap, State of Decay 2 was the bestselling game for May, even only counting actual sales and not Game Pass downloads.

3MA got a show about State of Decay 2 where they strangely seem to spend their time bashing it for being an action game and not a city builder (at least for the first 15 minutes. It got stale quickly so I showed myself out).

Finished my first legacy (Builder) in Drucker County. When I finally started the Legacy quests, I had to exile loads of people I didn’t necessary need/want to exile, just to satisfy the quests, and build several facilities I didn’t necessarily need/want for the same reason. I retained three survivors for the next map: Hai Quang Ho, a leveled automechanic, Ronda Mahoney, a leveled electrical engineer and my community leader who has -10 max health, +20 max stamina, and a third named Gene who, despite being a gardener, I got rid of later because he kept pissing everyone else off.

We moved to Meagher Valley and took over the Whitney Field base. This time I paid more attention to community members, and was not shy about exiling and replacing the bad eggs whenever possible. I also worked on clearing Plague Hearts sooner, and soon realized that they’re super, super easy to take down once you get the hang of it. Just chuck four or five pipe bombs at the thing, then hack away at it if it’s still alive, and it’ll go down very quickly. This time Ho was the community leader, and with him I completed the Trader legacy.

On my third go I’m in Drucker County again. Was hoping for a different map. But I got incredibly lucky with new community members, almost right away. First we picked up Logann who is a Landscape Architect (Gardening skill) and is Unusually Mature (+25% standing rewards, +50 wits experience rate). Then while out exploring with Logan, she picked up Nan who is a Science Teacher (Chemistry skill), a Plane Crash Survivor (no skill granted but probably has an interesting story) and Will Eat Anything (-50% food consumed per day); and Preston who’s a Model Hobbyist (Craftsmanship skill). So right off the bat, I have an auto mechanic, a gardener, a craftsman, a chemist, a plumber and an electrical engineer.

On my third go through I got the same map I had first time around so that’s where I quit.

Completed my third (Sheriff) legacy and got Drucker County yet again. Is it random or bugged? I’ve yet to see Cascade Hills.

I ended up spending just enough time in Drucker to open up the Research New Territories option, and then moved my little group to Cascade Hills.

Hoo boy, is that a refreshing challenge! When you move from one territory to another, the game drops you at the edge of the map and far away from any potential settlements. No beds, no vehicles, just a basic Command Center under a tent, and your resources are slowly degrading. Highly recommended to do this right at the start like I did, before you accumulate survivors and influence points.

Don’t you have to research it in game for 60 in game hours?

Researching new territories only takes 13 minutes, and costs 250 influence. It does require upgrading the Command Center to level 2, though. The 60 hour timer is for how long you have to wait before you can research them again.

What I still haven’t figured out is a good way to find a potential Warlord, which is my last legacy. Can’t pick a leader until then. Current group is nothing but traders and sheriffs – except for a couple of weaklings who I’m assuming couldn’t be potential warlords – and it’s a nice balance of specializations and personality types. Guess I’ll just have to start exiling and replacing. Not sure if there is a way to determine a survivor’s leadership type before leveling them to Hero status.

Aha, when you hover over Community Standing it lists their leadership type.

I didn’[quote=“Left_Empty, post:323, topic:128274, full:true”]
3MA got a show about State of Decay 2 where they strangely seem to spend their time bashing it for being an action game and not a city builder (at least for the first 15 minutes. It got stale quickly so I showed myself out).

[/quote]

I didn’t read their complaints as such. They praised the action portions of the game, but said that the strategic section is pretty poor. They disliked that base building felt like a chore and not like something that mattered. THey disliked that all buildings are roughly the same (their specific example being that a wind turbine and an electric generator produce the same thing and cost the same). They believed that the relationships you form with other groups are shallow and meaningless. It’s a lot of the same complaints others have had about this game. The strategic section is very shallow and mostly unrewarding.

Patch 2.0 Highlights

Content Update 2 is Live!

We’ve got another patch for you, Survivors!

In honor of the new Independence Pack DLC (available for purchase now!), Patch 2.0 adds new FREE content for ALL players and improves your game experience in several places.

We’ve also fixed a wide range of bugs related to gameplay, multiplayer sessions, performance, and more. Read on below for all the details!

New Content:

• “Revolutionary War” zombies can now appear in the world.
  • Who knew there were so many history buffs in town right when the outbreak occurred?
  • 20 new missions now available to players:
  • 10 ambient missions, which can occur as players explore the map.
  • 7 enclave missions, expanding the stories that can be told about neighboring groups.
  • 3 community missions, offering new options for your group to solve crucial problems.
  • New Red Talon & Network weapons added to the game:
  • Danforth Slugger (a lead-filled baseball bat).
  • Trumbull Gatekeeper (a lovingly improved model 70).
  • RTX Extermination Blade (a military-grade zombie fightin’ blade).
  • RTX Cyclone (a fully automatic 12 gauge pistol).
  • RTX Rampart (a Vulture .44 with automatic fire, able to stop a charging juggernaut).
  • Previous Red Talon weapons have been rebranded as RTX and given new coats of paint:
  • SOCOM II RT is now the “RTX Hordebreaker”.
  • Scar-H RT is now the “RTX Stormbringer”.
  • Vector Ultracompact RT is now the “RTX Piranha”.
  • A new “Rare Books” trader can appear every few game days, with the following new skill books available for the low low price of 1500 Influence: Driving, Lichenology, Fishing, Scrum Master.

Game Improvements:

Gameplay

• Added a new jog animation for human characters.
  • Polished the “walk to run” and “run to walk” transition animations.
  • Additional improvements to doors so that their state matches their appearance.
  • Added a “Confirm” option before euthanizing community members.
  • Additional improvements to mounting of ladders, including better interaction when player is strafing and interaction from the tops of ladders.
  • Juggernaut modifications:
    • Ground slam collision volume has been reduced by roughly 25%.
    • Added a half-second cooldown to the juggernaut’s initiation of its finishing move.
    • Players can start a finishing move earlier in a juggernaut’s stagger animation.
  • Weapon Changes:
    • B50FG weight has been increased to 28.5 (up from 12 lbs).
    • Model 99-50 Magazine now holds 3 rounds (down from 5).
    • M9950 Timberwolf Magazine now holds 4 rounds (down from 7).
    • B50FG Magazine now holds 5 rounds (down from 12).
    • A .50 cal weapon can no longer take down a plague heart without at least one reload, or other tools being brought to bear against it. Without using other tools, it now takes 6 shots from a .50 cal weapon to take down a plague heart (up from 3).
    • Other drum-mag weapons which erroneously had no additional weight for their drum-magazines have had their weight increased (SOCOM II and RTX Hordebreaker, Operator’s M4A1, DEVGRU X12 Infiltrator, and RTX Stormbringer).
  • Sniper Towers now count as Watchtowers for Morale purposes.
  • Changed the weight of several luxury items so that their weight better matches the quality of their manufacturing.

Plus a bunch of bug fixes.

“Sniper Towers now count as Watchtowers for Morale purposes.”
Much needed, but probably not enough to make that leader type worth using still.

This is very true.

Interaction with other survivor groups is SUPER shallow. Mostly just doing very simple random missions for them (some even just deliver one resource) and if you ever miss one, they will probably leave town.

Base building is very dumbed down. I don’t feel that my choices there really matter much with VERY few exceptions.

This is a grindy action game with some rpg elements and a base building mini game that is surprisingly enjoyable as long as you don’t think about it too much.

I enjoy the game for what it is and don’t regret getting it. I certainly put a lot of hours in to it, even if i don’t think i will ever beat it.

I don’t think you can see it before recruiting them. I had the same problem, but i was trying to get a trader and had anyone but.

I ended up backing up my save game, recruiting someone and then reloading if it wasn’t the kind i wanted (because you destroy the survivor group by recruiting one person). Certainly seems like an annoying oversight.

This is true, as I finally figured out. Leadership type is only reported via Community Standing, which isn’t available until after recruitment. Fortunately, you can recruit, check, and exile them right away without having to bring them back to base. Or do the cheaty save backup thing.

What I’m still curious about is whether or not it is possible to infer leadership type via their outward personality (voice, communication style, etc.) or via some other clue in what you are allowed to see when viewing their stats. For instance, one guy I recruited was a baseball fan and seemed like your typical tough guy, so I figured he could very well turn out to be a Warlord, but no, he’s another Sheriff.

I have three sheriffs and four traders. Going to cull the herd as soon as I upgrade to a different base and start recruiting a bunch more.

Finally recruited a Warlord!

But he is not…what I expected.

Presumably the misery is what pushed him into warlording.

I love that backstory idea. I decided to make Stevie a glass cannon. With his low health, it seemed like the best option, given that he’s going to be leading warlord missions and won’t be able to take much of a beating. All my other survivors are pretty much tanks. First thing I did was take him out to exercise a bit while making him retrieve a Road Racer X from just outside a plague heart house, which I then upgraded to a Road Mangler. And finally, since I’m missing a computer expert and Stevie had an open skill slot, I gave him Computers.

So now I’m role-playing an angry, miserable nerd warrior with fast car.