State of Decay 2 - Time is your worst enemy

Oh, crap, I didn’t think about that. That does suck.

This game sounds really cool after listening to the Waypoint and Giant Bomb folks talk about it. I don’t mind that it doesn’t seem to have a crafted story, but what I can’t tell is if there is any sort of end to the game? Does it just go on indefinitely?

I heard that the base building is barely an afterthought, do you get much input on how to build? Do you have make choices based on limited room and things like that? Plan your defenses and equip your defenders?

The base building is what I like about the game. You have to make thought choices and arm people, yeah

I’m enjoying it. Definitely buggy, but no showstoppers. The mouse cursor bug is a PITA when that surfaces.

What’s the motion blur setting supposed to be if you want to get rid of it? I see a default setting at ‘2’.

I heard those are coming in the next major revision, along with zombie companions and romance options.

Are you saying we’ll be able to romance the zombies? Pacifist run plus.

most of the game breaking bugs are coop, which is sad for me since that’s what I’m doing mostly :)

May want to cut back A LOT on the soy in your latte there nu-male. Why even bother? Try Farmville, its very pacifist…

If he dies, he dies…

It can if you want it to. But that’s not how it’s designed. Each playthrough has a clearly defined end goal based on who you choose for your leader. This then gives you a legacy bonus you can carry over to your next playthrough with three of your survivors. There are four leader types, and therefore four legacies, with the option to slot any two you’ve unlocked when you start a new game.

You heard wrong! Base building is most definitely not “barely an afterthought”. It’s a fully developed system that ties into the economy, geography, and character development. You make difficult choice about what to build. And you equip your defenders when you equip your characters, all of whom are playable.

-Tom

My only big beef with the game so far is the targetting of doors and gates and such. The hitbox is so tiny and particular, sometimes it takes a bunch of trial and error just to get the character to recognize that there is something that can be opened/closed. I just know this is going to fuck me sooner or later while being chased or something.

This game gets sliding down ladders right. Every game with ladders needs this feature.

While playing Far Cry 5 the other day, I wondered if ladders in older games might have been forever ruined, now that we’ve all been spoiled by ladder sliding. I think most contemporary games have this now.

I’ve been playing this exclusively for a couple days. Turns out that even after watching a few streams here and there, I still had the wrong idea about this game was really all about until I put a couple hours into myself. Had I realized this was more or less city/community builder wrapped in open-world action-adventure zombie clothes I probably would have been much more enthused about it after seeing how janky combat, movement, and vehicle travel looked on-stream.

I’m enjoying myself quite a bit and finally found a game (I don’t already own) to justify my current GamePass subscription.

Fortunately, SoD2 does its best to ensure that old-school lethality of ladders is still present. I approach going down a cell tower ladder more carefully than a plague heart site.

EMBRACE THEE JANK

Yeah seems you have to rotate the view so the character (carefully) backs into the ladder.

I haven’t fallen off of a cell tower yet, but have somehow managed to fall off of a billboard multiple times. The last time I fell, I then watched my two followers fall off after me.

Being afraid of heights in real life, this is not helping.

Man, this game can be so bleak at times. My morale had been flying high until I got rid of my coffee stand (which adds morale) in order to claim an outpost that produces meds. Unfortunately, right after I did this I lost a bunch of other supplies to some random event that happened at base. After losing these supplies morale dropped to an all-time low and I’ve been struggling to raise it since. Things snowballed, and the issues began to pile up.

Because of my low morale, the group started in-fighting, causing other problems, costing me more supplies, and leading to the destruction of certain upgrades on the property.

I decided to nip this in the bud and exile a particularly problematic member, but that sucked because I knew I’d be more or less sentencing them to death. I think I was tapping in to @BrianRubin a bit here, because cutting her loose at this point felt a bit like sealing off sections of the ship in FTL and watching your crew die. Such decisions can be a little stressful, especially when she’d been so helpful before losing her mind. Who could blame her under these circumstances?

Another thing that really helps set the mood is the constant feedback from community members on their outlook on life, the way the music changes depending on the mood, and the dire radio messages from surrounding encampments. When I’m not in a position to simply be the hero and save everybody I feel like I’m letting the world down. And in that constant twisting of the knife, this game shines.

Thankfully I’ve upgraded my base and have managed to fix my on-going morale problem, now I just have to scour the area and see what the recently abandoned settlements left behind while I try to catch up with the runaway infestations.

And this is why I’ll never play this. ;)

This is how I can tell the game was developed in the Pacific Northwest. You take away the coffee, the world goes to hell. Zombies or not.