State of Decay, yep... the bestest zombie apocalypse

Yeah this really interested me too.

I’m tired of one survivor vs zombie apocalypse shooters. I want zombie games with more depth and more focus around other survivors/strongholds. State of decay looks like it does a decent enough job on this and the ability to change the active player to another survivor sounded kind of interesting.

I will be sad if they delay/cancel the pc version.

Just because more people need to know, check out The Dead Linger as well, which is currently in Alpha but purchasable - Very cool take on the open world Zombie crafting survival game.

This is a great, great game. I’m having so much fun, trying to make ends meet, survive , and when its night, I’ terrified. So far, I’ve spent 3 hours playing this, and its probably the most fun I’ve had this year gaming - I really, really recommend it!

I’ve heard nothing but praise about this, mainly from people who reviewed it and can’t wait to publish said reviews.

Really looking forward to 6pm.

Tom’s write-up on the front page also has me pretty excited about trying out the XBLA demo tonight. Or tomorrow night, since I’m playing SupCom tonight.

What’s the price point? Does anyone know? Is it $10 or $15?

1,600 points ($20)

I read Tom’s write-up and went to the official forums to see what they were saying about a PC version, only to be met with a bunch of posters whining about the fact that it will ALSO be out on PC “soon” and not exclusively on their precious 360. People suck. Anyway, this looks cool and I’m happy I’ll be able to play it eventually.

Played the demo on the XBox and this is an instant buy for me and $20 seems like a steal. It has the perfect blend of RPG, strategy, and action to keep me interested. This is definitely NOT just another zombie game, I just wish it had multiplayer because I could see this being a blast with friends. Can’t wait for the PC release!

Simple concepts like coffee are never really explained and can be vitally important later in the game, and moving the main narrative forward is dependent — unless you allow multiple real-world hours to pass — on completing tasks that I thought were optional. I didn’t know that State of Decay’s world continued when I exited the game until I came back the next day to find morale low and one of my survivors dead. But the camera is the worst offender. I never got killed by the recalcitrant third-person angle, but my view was often blocked before I frantically reoriented it.

I don’t think I’ve liked this mechanic in any game I’ve played that had it. I hate feeling like I MUST play the game every day.

I wish my topic title had more excitement in it, as my desire for this game is quite high after Tom’s write up.

ANY news on a PC release date?

Not only do I not know a PC date but I have no clue what the distribution platform will be.

Tom M

This is very exciting! For some reason I never really get tired of the zombie genre. Good for me given the plethora of titles available.

Thanks for the heads up, I somehow missed this one!

The Dead Linger is interesting and gets better with every update (which come pretty frequently) but I’d hesitate to recommend it yet. The game is still very early and very rough. I think it will be one of the better zombie games in a year or so but not at the moment.

Aye, thats true - Its very much an alpha right now, and not a demo alpha, as many others are, but - I suspect it will become one of the better games as you say :-)

Anyways -If its true that the gameworld moves on when you aren’t playing, its catastrophic, and something that I haven’t read anywhere else. Are you sure about that, or just guessing?

They updated the FAQ with info on the real-time progression when you’re not playing.

If you left:

• your community in pretty good shape, morale wise, and
  • cars in parking spaces near your base and food in the kitchen,
  • weapons in need of repair in the lockers near your workbench,
  • and sufficient time has passed,

You will come back and find that people are happy, repaired cars and weapons, and possibly some new stuff from the things your survivors did while you weren’t there. Their lives continue, as independently as you saw them living when you were online.

If you left:

• Morale sliding, and
  • Too many infestations (please note, we’re ACTIVELY working on a change where we reduce how much square footage is considered in this calculation to make it a little less…insane…), and
  • Vaguely ominous warnings about someone looking sick, and
  • Not enough beds for people to sleep in

You will come back to find the shit has hit the fan.

It continues on the path you set.

PLEASE NOTE: The pace of progression slows the longer you are offline. If you are offline for one day, you will see a pretty sizable chunk of change. If you are offline for two, you’ll see a bit more than that. But the difference between a week and a month is minor. We expect that our players are adults, and adults sometimes need to be away from a game for months at a time.

I guess this means that if you start the game, you’d better play it until you get to the optimal stopping point, or your people will act like idiots in your absence.

Whoa! Hold the phone. I was just listening to the latest podcast and Tom and Nick were talking about how State of Decay continues when the player is not playing!?! As in characters use supplies, run missions, up their teen angst skill, and even get themselves killed! While intellectually this sounds like a cool living world that recognizes that the leader has to sleep too, in practicality it sounds more like a disaster for what I imagine is almost anybody in the real world. What if I can’t dedicate 16 hours a day to the accurately simulate my zombie apocalypse simulator?

Can anybody comment on how much this feature impacts actual gameplay? Namely, would someone realistically be able to play it for a few hours here and there without loading a save game to find the camp cabins all look like the bridge of the lost ship in Event Horizon? Maybe time advances but in a very minor way to add random variation? The game sounds cool, but this feature sounds to really penalize those not just trying a dry run a Z Day.

Edit: oops, I posted at the same time as your update Telefrog. Thanks for the news, although I am not sure if I agree with thier statement about understanding the lives of adults.

Look up.

Crap. I just lost Marcus. At least I still have Maya. I was stupid and got cocky, went out at night after a Big Un. Without painkillers. In the open- except for that cliff I fell off right before the fight. Stupid. Stupid.

This game is really pretty fun, but is starting to perhaps get a bit repetitive. That said, I still haven’t been down south to (what sounds like given radio chatter) Crazytown yet. Or rather, I blew through while house hunting with Jacob, but didn’t stop for the mission. And there’s that other town over the river you can’t get to yet…

They keep telling me to set up outposts, and I have, but I’m just not getting why I should. It seems like grabbing the resources and getting them back to the house is better.

I think next I’m going to try upping our numbers and setting up shop in the big trucking company warehouse I found. That place looks sweet.

Sounds pretty interesting, but I’m a little wary of the always running aspect too. 9 times out of 10 it might be fine, but I just don’t get why I should be penalized if I need to leave the computer when things aren’t “in pretty good shape” and can’t get back for a day or two. Having your survivors work on projects and stuff offline sounds great, but potentially losing people? Not so much.

For what its worth - I lost some morale, and thats it the two days I’ve left mine over the night, and nothing else.