Stationeers [SS13+KSP+Astroneers+Minecraft][Gendal Seal of Approval(TM)]

What I particularly object to when people run into the title length limit is effort being expended to write crybaby title BS about how unfair the world is, rather than thinking, hey, I could make my title more awesome.

This is a spectacular failure of imagination. But hey, maybe the world really is that small for some people.

That said if @telefrog and @stusser want to bump down the minimum title from 15 to 11, that’s fine too.

Except with the UI which is deliberately designed to be complicated and unwieldy for “realism” to appeal to hardcore crowd. It’s not going to change.

There’s no drag-n-drop. No radial dials. No hotbar. It’s all key presses and scrolling through menus to make selections. You also have to switch hands constantly and move items one at a time from multiple backpack/belt/suit locations to your hands.

I’m all for hardcore space experience but I spent far more time fiddling with the UI than actually doing interesting things. What I really don’t understand is that it’s entirely by choice to make the UI difficult and convoluted to appeal to a niche and lock out potential customers.

I was watching someone play this on Twitch and I asked if there are NPC’s who can help you with tasks and make the game feel less lonely if you’re not playing co-op. Someone in chat answered “Not yet but we’re planning to add it”, so I assume it was a dev. I’ll take another look at this game once they add that feature in.

Bookmarking this thread.

I’ve been weaning myself off Early Access,but will be interested when it hits 1.0

This is exactly how the game it’s inspired by, Space Station 13, works.

If you want to see where Stationeer is headed then read about or play SS13. It’s wacky and entirely about multiplayer.

I really don’t understand people that will pass on a completely awesome game just because the controls take some getting used to. That’s like passing on an all expense paid trip to the Bahamas because they’re not flying you there first class. I mean, if you wanna punish yourself by missing out on something awesome because you can’t be bothered to spend an hour getting used to how it controls, ok I guess? But there have been so many awesome games I’ve played over the years that took some effort to get used to (Dwarf Fortress for example) but the depth and richness of the experience I ended up getting in return was one hundred fold the initial effort investment. Also, this game is Space Station 13 in first person. The inventory works exactly as it did in that game. No, it’s not perfect, but it makes sense and works just fine after you get used to it.

Also, take your Dean Hall baggage and hit the road. LOL DAY Z JOKES LOL. I guess I don’t care because I was never into Day Z. But there have been much more egregious situations by way shadier game devs and no one says a word. You say “Dean Hall” and it’s LOL MT EVEREST LOL constantly. Ugh. I feel like a week into Early Access and this game is already much more solid and showing more promise than 75% of the EA games I’ve played.

I doubt there’s ever going to be a leaderboard. They have said they will be adding away missions, which will be random events that you go away from your base to do when you feel like it. So maybe you and your friends take your ship you built, fly away from your base and go fight some kind of space creature. Or explore an abandoned station. Or mine an asteroid field. Or who knows what else they’ll come up with. But this is kinda like Minecraft in that sense. It’s never going to be like “HEY BUILD THIS THING FOR X POINTS” or whatever. You make your own fun. And honestly, the challenge of designing and building and perfecting a base is such a monumental task that what else do you need at this point? Myself and 4-5 friends have about 70 hours into this already and we just now have a base that I would really call solid and reliable. Of course now that I’ve learned how a lot of the things work I could probably rebuild it in a quarter of that time. But yeah, at no point have I ever wandered around bored in this game. I’m constantly bouncing around from one project to another like a dog distracted by something shiny. “Oh I need to get that new fabricator installed, but I’d have to run power to it and I should optimize the layout of my cables, and we need to install that other backup battery, and the solar panel programming could use some tweaking to make them more efficient, and and and…” and the next thing you know it’s 8 hours later and time to go to bed :P

I’m DrJonez on Steam. You guys can add me if you want to get into the multiplayer. The game seems to support massive numbers of players with it being all multi threaded and stuff. The dedicated servers are still buggy at this point, but when that’s fixed soonish it’d be pretty cool to have a persistent world we could all log into and cooperatively build a base or something.

I didn’t look at this one yet, and didn’t realize it was supposed to be an SS13 clone. Thanks for the info. I’ve been meaning to try SS13 forever after reading some AARs.

The inventory, crafting system and atmospheric/power/etc systems are very close to how SS13 works right now. It has none of the roleplaying aspects yet however. I imagine that will be a mod soon enough, if not officially supported.

From what I’ve seen though, the role playing stuff is the best part of SS13. Without it, it seems like it would just be a pretty bad space station simulator.

Space Station 13 would be, yes. Stationeers is pretty much the best space station simulator I’ve ever seen, however. The depth/complexity of the atmospheric and electrical systems alone is incredible.

No, there’s too much damn awesome in the thread titles around here. I’d rather have a cap on the length so people get to the point.

That’s like catnip to me, one of the qualities I most love in a game.

And now we have a deritive, boring, basically cliche title to the thread and I couldn’t be happier. I probably would have broken my finger in excitement clicking on the thread title if I saw it now for the first time.

Does there need to be a poll thread to decide on the title of this one? :P

I tried but there’s a big difference between memorizing a handful of keys and mouse presses in a new game and being utterly flummoxed by an entirely clunky control scheme and UI designed that way just for the sake of being “hardcore”. I honestly couldn’t enjoy the game because of it.

Is this a Survival game or a lego find your fun builder?

You select an active hand, and then you put things into it. What’s so hard about that? :P Once it’s in your hand you can use it or put it somewhere else. It’s all just moving things in and out of your hands. No other game works that way though so I think people get bent out of shape thinking it’s more complicated than it really is. If it’s not your thing though I understand, I’m just sad!

Well, no biggie, I just didn’t care for it. You guys enjoy! :)

I picked this up, and it is right in my wheel well but the interface is in fact crazy annoying. It’s hard to get fast and efficient in it, despite the default key layout being nearly ideal for me (minus the item rotation). The whole left/right hand item swap out with inventory from 1-5 needs to be heavily rethought. I understand the flexibility it allows, and that’s pretty cool, but god damn is it annoying. It’s easier to just drop stuff on the ground constantly rather than try and swap it out into inventory bags.

Workshop.

Temporary airlock.

Window looking out at my furnace setup.

Working on piping / wiring my atmospherics room. Lots to do! (Such as installing lights)