Staying Safe Online

In a search for Wolves I came upon this:

"We want all users of The Clan to have a happy, safe and trouble-free time here - so please read the following Golden Rules, and make sure you always follow them:

Never arrange a face-to-face meeting with someone you meet on-line
Never upload (post) pictures of yourself onto the Internet or any on-line forum or give them to ANY person
Never give out any identifying information such as your real name, home address, school name, or telephone number
Never download pictures from an unknown source
Never respond to messages or bulletin board postings that are suggestive, obscene, belligerent, or harassing
Remember that whatever your are told on-line may or may not be true."

The whole thing is amusing, as well as prudent, but “Never respond to messages or bulletin board postings that are suggestive, obscene, belligerent, or harassing”?

Is there any point in being on the internet after this?

Not bad advice to kids, actually. What’s the problem?

I wasn’t thinking about kids. I want to know how the internet would function if these rules applied to everyone.

Heh, just on this very forum I’ve broken the first five.
However, I don’t believe a word you guys tell me.

Exactly, would we have the internet broken, full of simple information.

Not in my lifetime.

Where was the mention about restricting your groups of friends on a game by game basis? The list is obviously incomplete.

Guess they’re not big on online dating. Only the last bit is a really good tip for non-children.

Only you can prevent bro rape.

Broke the first five, woo!

I propose another rule: don’t ever click on anything.

I’m still following 2 & 3! Yay me! Which reminds me I need to invent another name…

Hay, Roger, you want to chill out? Watch some DVDs? Play some gamecube?

ONOES I AM GOING TO BE RAPED/COMMIT RAPE

I believe this was an actual Microsoft suggestion to avoid some security vulnerability in IE a while back.

I’m getting a Copyright© on Internet Condoms!

To be fair, the rules never stated anything about not being the one to post somethins that is suggestive, obscene, belligerent, or harassing.

LOLZOR! I fixedzor that for teh youzor! Or something…

Isn’t Facebook (which has a high school thing now) a direct violation of… um… all of that?