Steam Autumn/Holiday Sale 2015

I didn’t like it. It suffered in comparison to The Swapper, which I played about the same time. I thought The Fall was going to be another puzzle platformer, but really it is a point-n-click adventure game which suffers from some of the pitfalls of that genre (pixel hunting, in particular).

I have never played it, but my rule of thumb is if a game looks remotely interesting and I’ve been wanting try it and it’s $2 (especially when that’s an 80% discount) then I just get it - it’s not like it’s going to get cheaper, and if it DOES get cheaper (say, 90%) what am I saving? A dollar? Plus, this is getting good reviews and it has a nice look to it.

EDIT - After reading JoshL’s post above mine, I should put forth the caveat that my rule of thumb only applies to games I have done a fair amount of research one. :)

oh god yes, mine is full of JRPGs. Surely Steam knows that is a genre I have nothing to do with.

My guess is I should skip it. I’m not a point and click adventure player really anymore even though that used to be one of my big genres about 25-30 years ago. Used to love Sierra games - King’s Quest, Police Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Space Quest, Gabriel Knight, Laura Bow

Yeah, I wish I could eradicate any of those from any suggestions Steam makes. If I try one it will be because someone here recommends it, but even that will be unlikely.

The MP of mass effect is well worth. I am try the single player someday, after I get all the documents for 2 and 3 for a reasonable price (maybe when me4 comes out?l

Oh sweet - I liked the Swapper but I really dig point and click adventures, I’ll check out The Fall.

The Swapper was awesome. One of the bigger surprises for me - last year I think.

Yeah JRPG is a genre that I’ve 100% decided is not for me. Every time I tried going back to that well I’ve been burned.

Ironcast is pretty nifty, though MtGPQ will have a lot more legs if you get into it.

I have about $2.00 in my Steam wallet and Gothic 3 is $1.99. What’s it like?

You and me both. The Remnant is the only one I’ve even slightly enjoyed.

I’m definitely not a fan of JRPGs, yet I thought Valkyrie Chronicles was one of the best things I played at the beginning of this year. Using a mixture of turn based and action points for movement made for some very unique game play I’d love to see applied to other games.

At $2 if the loading screens are pleasant to look at then you got good value for your money/SteamBux®.
:-)

-Todd

Yeah, I’m thinking of doing the same with the Skyrim Legendary edition for the same reason. Updating Nexus Mod Manager screwed up my mods so that my saves are all screwed, if I’m going to have to remove and reinstall everything I might as well start a new game with all the expansions.

So far I’ve only picked up my definite buys - Renowned Explorers and Battle Fleet 2, a fun looking beer and pretzels WW2 naval wargme that I saw Das24680 playing on YouTube.

Gothic 3 has almost nothing in common with Gothic and G2.

Gothic 3 is a big open world RPG. Until a few years ago G3 had arguably the most beautifully crafted world in the genre. Now that open world is all the rage I’m no longer sure about that. So the world is the star. You explore 3 countries (European, desert, icy mountains) without any loading breaks to pull you out of immersion. The kingdom of Myrthana (-> main country) has been overrun by the Orcs. Like in every good occupied country there’s also the resistance. The Orcs aren’t simply evil. They had their reasons for the invasion. You can arrange yourself with them to a certain degree with the help of a reputation system. Which won’t make the resistance happy.
The story department is relatively weak and the characters are shallow compared to Gothic 1 & 2 and genre standard compared to the typical RPG.
Gothic 3 was a spectacular failure which lead to a dirty divorce between publisher JoWooD and developer Piranha Bytes. The community patch fixes 1000+ issues and repairs combat and balancing as far as possible. It’s both mandatory and officially sanctioned. I bet it’s even installed automatically.
The engine can be tweaked extensively via .ini files and high res textures, so I bet the game still looks pretty good.

G3 with the community patch can be played without significant problems. The gameplay is hit or miss though, because there’s only so much an amateur team can do to improve things. Personally I didn’t like mellee combat and went for a mage with fire & ice spells and shot everything down. Others enjoyed mellee. I really liked bows - others hated them. The game feels a bit thin in the starting area … which is no problem because you can leave the coast quickly, and the inside of the country feels better. The desert has the deepest characters and the best atmostphere, but it’s too realistic. Meaning a few places hidden in a whole lot of yellowish nothingness.

I played Gothic 3 for more than 100 hours and I’ve seen all 3 endings. Most of the game was fun … but I’m sure I’m never going to play it again. Even more than Gothic & G2 - both great games held back by simple but unintuitive controls - Gothic 3 is a gamble. It’s impossible to predict if you’ll like it or not.

Hehe… I was going to write something nice about G3, but I figured Gorath would show up :) Also, I endorse what he says. G3 can feel odd and unpolished, but it’s an ambitious and interesting game. I played through it twice (with the community patch).

Ok, there are two version of gothic 3. There is the regular gothic 3 and then the Gothic 3: Forsaken gods game edition. What is the difference? The first one has good reviews, the 2nd not so good.

In other news, a steam trick I just found out. On the front page or on any page of games for sale, perhaps anywhere there is a link, middle mouse click.

I think Forsaken Gods is a completely different game, using the same setting. I don’t remember playing it.

Forsaken Gods is a stand-alone add-on.

Pretend the G3 add-on and the Arcania add-on don’t exist. They were done by some strange Indian team and the reviews said both suck.

The Arcania and Gothic complete pack for 4.99€ is worth a thought though because the original Gothic isn’t sold alone on Steam. Then move the add-ons mentioned above into your junk folder and be happy. ;)