Steam Deck and Windows 11

Yes, good point about the UMA size. I had also changed it but didn’t mention because I didn’t feel any difference in game performance. Your Time Spy score improvement is a good sign. I’ll add that to the first post.

[Poste deleted]

I misunderstood Reemul’s post. Yes, if you don’t have bluetooth KB/mouse, you will either need USB hub to attach both simultaneously or have to get something like Microsoft All-in-one media keyboard.

I did install Win11 based on touch screen and on-screen keyboard and have yet to attach keyboard/mouse.

Win11 22H2 update related blue-screens due to audio drivers is now one of the three official known-issues listed by Microsoft.

Microsoft is blocking Windows 11 22H2 on some Intel PCs due to BSODs (windowslatest.com)

Windows 11, version 22H2 known issues and notifications | Microsoft Learn

Though they are recommending driver update, instead of any tweak on the OS side. We’ll have to wait for the Steam Deck audio driver to be updated. So far Windows Update hasn’t given me the option to install 22H2 update.

Finally got W11 installed on the Steam Deck, which I didn’t really want to do but was forced to because I wanted Gamepass offline.

Thanks to the OP it was pretty easy. Having to grab 21H2 instead of 22H2 was kind of a pain, but the supplied link made that easy enough.

The portrait touch screen was a bigger pain that I thought it would be because the deck helpfully auto rotates the controls, but it’s the opposite of what you want. I just ended up tilting it enough to not trigger that, then holding my head sidewise to finish and that muddled me through until I got to the desktop. Thankfully the touchscreen always works.

Things I noticed so far is the Big Picture UI is not the same as the steam deck UI. Not sure if that’s possible to enable but I prefer the native deck UI. Otherwise games worked just fine.

I then used GlosSi to add Grounded to Steam via Gamepass, launched Steam, and it worked as well.

What isn’t working is any overlay from the Steam or “…” buttons. Haven’t really needed those yet but will have to investigate. I can play games now, which is what matters.

Yes, I liked Steam Deck UI over Big Picture UI as well, but Big Picture UI does the job. The steam button does work for me though. It brings up the big picture interface, where you can see the battery level, and configure per game controls. If Steam is not running, and if I have SWICD, then the steam button brings up XBox game bar.

The “…” button doesn’t work anywhere however.

I have heard Valve may be moving to Steam Deck UI as default big picture UI for the main Windows Steam application.

So far, my Deck is running great in Windows 11. The best thing is turning it off in-game, and then coming back in an instant to the exact same spot hours later. I have used S3/sleep heavily on PCs for past 15 years or so, and I have opened so many bug reports to intel, AMD, nVidia and the BIOS makers on running into issues. Somewhere around mid 2010s sleep/wake functionality became generally stable, but I had never used it in the way, it works on Steam Deck.

I was reading up Glosci vs swicd and that explains why my buttons don’t work. Glosi is per game, swicd is always running. Both have draw backs and advantages.

Overall I was much happier with steam os where everything but game pass just worked. I am a Linux fanboy though so take that with a grain of salt.

No complaints about how things run performance wise, seems mostly the same without actually testing.

GloSI/SC work using Steam itself so it plays nice with Steam. SWICD is a complete Steam driver replacement, and hence doesn’t work well when Steam is also running.

I do find SWICD more straightforward driver to install and use, as it mostly works as any other user-mode driver. I just have to remember to pause the driver-emulation when going back to Steam.

Valve has updated audio drivers for 22H2 Win11 support. They work on 21H2 Win11 version, so I recommend updating the audio driver for existing installations to be ready when 22H2 comes through Windows Update.

The drivers are at Steam Support :: Steam Deck - Windows Resources (steampowered.com)

I updated the original post, basically going back to the original and simple installation method through Windows Media Creation Tool.

I’m having an issue with a couple of games, just wondering if anyone has seen anything like the following?

The games are Toree and Toree 2, recommended to me in the Indie game thread. They are Steam Deck verified, so I doubt this issue is on SteamOS. The games both feel like they are getting rogue input from somewhere - in the game, the character is constantly being pushed forward, and the camera is continually rotating around the player. The menus are difficult to navigate due to these rogue inputs always happening. Maybe the character is meant to always be going forward (the store page video isn’t clear on this), but the camera shouldn’t always be rotating the way it is.

The games are made in Unity. To try to narrow it down, I have configured the controller to do nothing - all the inputs are set to ‘None’, and it still happens. It also continues to happen when the Deck is docked, with mouse and keyboard attached.

Anyone have any idea what could be happening, or anything else to try?

You can try turning gyro controls off for these games.

Valve has recently released the Steam Deck UI for Windows Steam client. It’s only available through beta builds. Even with the beta Steam client downloaded, you need to use the startup option “-gamepadui” to see this new replacement for the earlier big-picture mode. It should work on any Windows PC. However with Steam Deck, the button “…” on the right which has so far been unusable (in Windows) now works exactly as it does in SteamOS. So that’s a pretty big update.

It’s in beta, and there are still some issues. For instance, sometimes when coming back from a game, the Steam UI remains unresponsive for about 4-10 seconds. Battery indicator is also not there. But it’s still good enough that I will continue using it for now.

Valve updated Windows APU drivers last month. This brings the drivers in line with 22.10 (October AMD software). It’d be great, if Valve keeps providing these updates every 4-6 months.

I was opting into this without realizing, and was very happy to see it when I started up a game over Big Picture. However you are right, it definitely has issues. I found a No Man’s Sky bug almost immediately. NMS wants to utilize Steam’s digital keyboard for text input (renaming ships for example) but the keyboard isn’t visible until you alt-tab to it. It didn’t occur to me to check, so I spent hours thinking I just couldn’t rename bases or storage containers.

(Note: I do not own a Steam Deck)

On the beta channel, the “…” button on SteamDeck brings quick options, one of which is keyboard. It also works with “Steam-button+ButtonA” if you don’t have Steam Deck.

Now if you don’t have Steam Button at all (regular desktop with non-Steam controller), then you can set a button on the controller to show keyboard. If you select any game in library and select controller option, you can set per-game controls. Take something not used by the game (right joystick press for example) and select System and then Show-Keyboard.

By the way, Steam Deck UI is now available in regular Steam client too. Just add “-newbigpicture” to the Steam shortcut, and then selecting big-picture will show the new UI. I moved back to regular channel from beta, and the Deck UI looks only about a few weeks behind beta.

This is great, I’ll pass the info along to the other NMS help folks. Unfortunately I do not have any unassigned buttons on my 360 Elite (not counting the back grips, which I don’t have enabled at the moment and are in a box).

Thanks for the thought, but I did have the gyro controls off as well. I found the cause eventually - it was something to do with the ‘Tetherscript’ devices, I think installed with SWICD? (SWICD wasn’t running at the time.) I went though and disabled them in Device Manager, and the game works perfectly now. I’ve not tried SWICD since, no idea how badly I’ve broken that!