Steam game streaming coming to mobile devices

I don’t think this requires the Link device does it? Since the Link is the client to receive the streaming from a PC running Steam.

Correct. It reads as though the app on your phone IS Steam Link. The questions come about around controllers and whatnot.

Yeah, I’m very curious if the app allows devs to target touch controls or if it relies on physical/virtual controllers. It’s not much use to me otherwise as I have a Link and also a laptop I can Stream games too.

Besides finishing up that last Civ turn on the toilet, what’s the use case for this? Yet another thing Valve does where I ask “OK, but why?”

Sold!

I can think of situations where the TV is in use for other things and the desktop or laptop are inconvenient or too much fuss. Might be nice to treat the iPad like a Switch. Prop it on the table, take out the Steam controller, and play that way.

Okay I hadn’t through it through to the point you mentioned here. That actually isn’t a bad idea for a use case here.

I think the Nintendo Switch made Valve jealous that in that it allowed gamers to play Skyrim and Doom on the toilet.

Sweet, if this combined with loading Linux (and hopefully android) on the switch allows me to play my pc games on my switch I’ll be happy.

I for one would love to play Into the Breach in bed. Until they release it natively for ios. But controls will be an issue for much else.

My issue with viewing any “PC oriented content” on an iDevice is my inability to read text. I’ve tried to stream people playing PC games on my iPad in the YouTube app and it’s challenging to read whatever text they show. It makes viewing content like that much less satisfying for me (and because of that I usually give up and grab my laptop to view said content).

I’ve even found that issue present when I briefly streamed PC games to my TV. I cannot imagine how most strategy games and RPGs with tiny text will work.

Good point

This is available for Android now. The iOS version is pending Apple’s review.

Toucharcade gave it a glowing write-up. Still not sure I have any use for it, personally. But if you don’t have a Steam Link or laptop, maybe.

The new rule does, however, allow for what are known as remote mirroring apps, like Steam Link, to contain an app store so long as purchases through that app store are processed on the desktop PC, and not on the iPhone or iPad itself.

Sensible change.

So I just noticed this was available on the ios app store. I downloaded it for my aging iPad but haven’t tried it yet.

I just gave it a quick whirl, it’s not optimal but it’s functional. Quite promising.

Works great for stuff like Slay the Spire. Also, should be even better with native controller support coming to ios13/iPadOS .