Steam hack: personal information, encrypted credit card data compromised

So why hasn’t Steam sent a mass mailer out warning everyone of the breach? I’d have no idea if not for QT3 since I don’t visit their forums and hadn’t been on steam yet today.

The client didn’t tell me anything either.

I hope that because I never stored CC info on their servers that I’ll be safe…

I just got a mailer an hour ago or so. It did seem to take quite a while for them to send it tho.

I am not bothering in changing my password. It’s a tough one (>20 alphanumeric characters) and if it was encrypted and salted, it won’t be cracked easily.

I never received a notification but changed my password anyway. It seems irresponsible not to send a notification. I never saved my credit card info there (I’ve never done so anywhere) but i noticed that the last 4 digits were stored anyway. I deleted it but its kinda like locking the barn door after the horse has been stolen.

Time to put 2 way authentication on your accounts Valve like Blizzard did with WoW and EA does with SWTOR!
Charge me $10 and send me one of them like now.

Luckily I did change my Steam password the moment I heard about the rumors concerning hacked Steam forums although I never took part in them so I should be fine.

Sucks with the cc as I did store it on Steam.
Bah! Will check and might have to call my bank for a new card if I see some shit. :p

Let’s see if that will affect a possible Steam Thanksgiving sale this year…

Yeah, where the hell is the notification? They have my e-mail address on file. If I didn’t follow the gaming press, I’d have no idea that I probably ought to get my credit card reissued.

What’s on the front page of Steam? Some nonsense about Skyrim.

This is the official notification.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1228638

Do they store previously used Credit card information, or is it only those that have asked Steam to keep the information stored that are in peril? I havent got my credit card info stored in steam (new pc) now, but have bought a crapton of stuff there earlier, so I’m not sure whether I should be concerned or not

went to buy skyrim just now and noticed all my stored info was null…so i guess valve closed the doors after the robbers left for security…

Went to buy something there now, and no details were listed under the purchase button. What was funny though was that the “Save CC details for the future” (for hackers to have easy access I assume) was already selected…

Hmm, I opened up Steam late last night and had an announcement pop up about the breach. Did y’all not see that? It’s where the usual game/sale announcements are shown.

I agree, however, that they should have emailed everyone. Not all accounts are active every moment of every day.

I saw it last night as well. No e-mail.

I didn’t get any email from steam. I just checked. Steam had my CC details. I also had posted this thread about this very thing happening to Steam. The consensus seemed to be that Steam was fairly safe. Guess again…

Correct me if I’m wrong, but in order to use anything they got, they have to have acces to your email as well, if you set up steamguard, right? In that case, its not a big deal, unless of course, ones email is compromised as well.

Not to use your CC info.

Where they don’t have your CVC right? Its not legal to store that part, as I understand it.

This crap should really stop. The credit card companies should be implementing some sort of authorization mechanism and retailers should never even see my CC info.

They have. One of my banks has this verified by visa thing. Whenever I shop online at somewhere that uses it, I have to authorise the purchase via my bank - which involves a text being sent to my pre registered mobile phone. Russian hackers ain’t gonna have my phone.

Unfortunately only some sites seem to use it.