Steam no longer likes my money

But then again I’m not fucking retarded either, I’ve been using a CC for a long time with no problem. Besides which you and the bank seem to think that I’m stupid enough not to report and cancel my card after it gets knicked?

In the US, federal law limits cardholder liability to $50 in cases of actual credit card theft. $0 if the purchases are made using the credit card number only.

That’s nice. Do the bank’s over there clear the charges right away on the customer’s say so or are people left without that available credit while the charges get investigated?

That’s nice. Do the bank’s over there clear the charges right away on the customer’s say so or are people left without that available credit while the charges get investigated?

So what’s your brilliant solution to this problem of people getting ripped off left and right on their credit/debit cards?

maybe stay with the card that flags weird purchases and requires owner confirmation?

Depends on how egregiously obvious the fraud is. All the law requires is that they investigate and clear the charges if a complain is filed in writing. From a practical standpoint banks try to be a little customer friendlier than all that. I have had obviously fraudulent charges cleared up almost immediately with just a phone call in the past.

I rarely need my credit, and have a backup emergency card on hand in case I really need it, so I’m not really concerned that getting fraud cleared up might put my card out of service. I also hate getting my card flagged and having to call and clear things to make a simple online purchase.

I have known people who would be utterly screwed without their plastic though, so I can understand those folks needing to be a bit more cautious.

From what I understand, it’s almost immediate and can be done over the phone. First, they verify the caller’s identity, then they verify account transactions to determine which ones are legitimate.

I lost a credit card recently and the person I talked with on the phone was surprised that I didn’t have any unauthorized transactions between the time I last used the card and when I discovered it was missing. They canceled the card and sent me a new one. Pretty painless.

Visa and Mastercard is handled by the same company in my country. Either everybody’s screwed, or everybody’s fine. I have yet to run into a situation that forces me to find out.