Steam numbers

Truth. The knife market is nuts.

$410.24 for a damn virtual knife skin!

To be fair, they don’t trade at the same volume that the mid-range ($5-$20) gun skins do.

Any idea why ~ 15 of my games suddenly have an update pending (including some old stuff, like the original Dawn of War)? None of them have any news and I assume this is some Steam client-related update (??).

79 updated here, with about 20 more to go. Most have been for 0 bytes, but there’s a few that were 100MB+. I guess it has something to do with some Windows redistributables getting an update…?

I’m starting to be concerned if Valve is doign something to SteamSpy. It used to be pretty close to the actual sales of games for a long time (at least ours, anyway). But in the past several months, it’s under reporting has become significant enough to wonder if something is going on.

I noticed this first on GalCiv III numbers. Their numbers on Sins of a Solar Empire were pretty close (within a reasonable margin of error). But GalCiv III is pretty far off and other games since then are not even disproportionately off (i.e. I can’t even apply a multplier).

I still think it’s useful as a general gauge because I think all the games are off proportionately. But I suspect a lot fo those games at the top have sold a lot more games than is being reported.

Every installed game in my library had an update tonight.

Very strange.

-Todd

I also got the weird “Let’s Update Everything!” Steam party tonight. I was convinced I’d done something wrong. Or, more likely, Windows 10 had screwed me over yet again.

10.) Scrap Mechanic - (220,926 ±11,175)
11.) Slime Rancher - (209,806 ±10,891)

Oddly enough, they’re pretty much exactly what they sound like. Scrap Mechanic is a Minecrafty thing where you build contraptions and Slime Rancher is a management game where you corral slimes. They’re both in Early Access, so what they also are is irrelevant to anyone who prefers playing finished products.

You just haven’t found the right visual novel for you.

It really can be disheartening. I have a press account, so I get to look at anything I want on Steam. The amount of sheer junk is staggering. I can’t imagine buying anything blindly, based on what the guy who sells it has written about it. I guess this is where we segue into a discussion about user reviews. Sorry, didn’t mean to dig up that dead horse.

But, yeah, so much junk.

SteamSpy is a third party, isn’t it? How does it even work? Actually, whatever the answer is, it’s probably above my paygrade in terms of understanding how people interpret data.

-Tom

SteamSpy scrapes the publicly accessible user profile data on what games they have and how much time they have spent playing it. I can’t recall if it leverages an API to do so or some other means. It must also have integration into twitch and youtube these days to generate some of the stats related to those services.

I never look at the Steam Store anymore. It’s just full of junk. Recommendations invariably come from other sources these days - here, yt, etc.

I did the 0kb updates to all my games, and now they’re all downloading 100MB to 600MB updates.

I look forward to not getting any kind of explanation from Valve.

So basically Amazon. I mean seriously, the first 1 or 2 pages of an Amazon search is worthwhile, then you get into some the weirdest 20 year old results, and you’re basing your purchase on what other reviewers are saying and hoping it’s not some sort of knock-off. And just like Amazon, sometimes I see the same thing listed twice on my list… for reasons I don’t know.

But like most things with my Amazon purchase, I use another source to already know what I am looking for, for the most part.

Thank god it wasnt just me - I just 61 games update.

95 for me.

Want to know the interesting thing though? 60% of the games in my Favorites category (19/33) are scheduled for update - way way way higher than the general percentage across the entire catalogue, which would stand at around 14% (95/700).

Weird, I wonder what’s up.

Yeah, same sort of thing here. I am not running any of these games till I hear what the hell happened.

Do you have 95 games installed on your computer? Jeez, I usually have 5-6.

It’s a dedicated gaming machine with biggish hard drives. Disk space and bandwidth (updates) is not really an issue, so they just tend to stay installed. And while bandwidth is not an issue, speed is, so if I ever take a fancy to playing something in my catalogue, waiting for it to download again is a pain in the ass.

I have the same setup - I have 103 games installed currently. I also enjoy following certain Early Access games and their progress, and the easiest way to do so, is to watch whatever updates on my machine.

Yeah, some people seem to think the 0/0 file update is deleting files which then need to be re-downloaded once you restart the Steam client at 300-400Mb per title. Directx/vcredist files in each game directory or some such. May well be worth disabling downloads until Valve releases a statement or something. It’s pretty weird.

I have 216 installed, 17 in favourites, but haven’t seen any unusual update activity. Yet. Maybe I need to restart Steam.

Its not something to be envied ;-)

Half Life 3 confirmed.

-Todd

From the forum, by a user, not a Valve employee:

[LEFT]Cablenexus 10 hours ago

UPDATES are redists files for Dotnet/Directx/vcredist etc.
Because of total lack of moderator and/or Steam cmmunication I decide to create another topic.

The first time you login to Steam today you see a certain amount of your games have updates scheduled. Those updates are 0 KB and just marks your Directx/vcredist and Dotnet folder in the _CommonRedist folder of your games to delete.

After restarting Steam you can see the same games downloading updates (100 till 300 MB). If you right click the game in your list and go to the “show local files” button you can inspect the folder and what exactly is downloaded today.

There you will see a folder named _CommonRedist and inside the folder you see some other folders names Directx, Dotnet or vcredist. Inside those folders you see that those files are updated 04/14/2016.

I’m not an expert and I cannot guarantuee those files are totally harmless but I think it’s just a massive update/clean up for all Microsoft related redist files.
Maybe it has something to do with the big security update rolled out by MS today.

At least I did a system scan with AVG and 100% of my files are clean. I did not experience any issues or deleted games from my library.
[/LEFT]