Steam numbers

Yeah, I’ve seen a suggestion on the Reddit thread about this that it might be to do with them incorporating the common redistributables into the client, rather than having each individual game install them.

Its amazing to me, that Steam, with accounts numbers so high, that this kind of thing is bound to have a MASSIVE effect on the data being downloaded worldwide , hasnt had a single thing to say about it.

It would be amazing if it weren’t Steam/Valve.

It’s amazing that an evening update hasn’t been officially commented on by 7:00 (now 7:30) local time the next morning?

How many days did it take for them to comment on the bizarre account-swapping data integrity thing from the last sale? This is nothing compared to that.

That was Christmas Day, to be fair*.

*By which I don’t mean to excuse them at all. But it makes sense that it would take longer than this, which is an ordinary weekday.

That would be fantastic.

A couple of weeks ago I was playing Grim Dawn when the game suddenly locked up. I couldn’t ALT-TAB back to Windows, access the Steam client, or even get CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up the Task Manager. I had to hard reboot. Afterwards, when I restarted Steam, it informed me that it had an update to install to the Steam client, and proceeded to lock up in the middle of said update. From that point on Steam would just lock up on a supposed client update over and over again. To finally fix it I had to uninstall the dozen or so “Microsoft C++ Redistributable” installs from my Windows 7 AND clean out the downloads/updates folder from Steam, restart everything, and then Steam actually downloaded a decent amount of data (repopulating it’s updates directory) and applied fixes, after which everything seemed to run OK again.

Of course each time I started up one of my dozen or so installed game, Steam installed another Microsoft C++ Redistributable to my machine again. If they could seriously fix it so that we only need one common all-encompassing redistributable installed it would be AWESOME.

I’ve seen a few reports on Reddit and the Steam forum of people saying that they have recovered disk space. 1 or 2 GB. So, maybe?

From some of the info i’ve heard, this is what is happening. Some devs were complaining about improperly running games due to redistributables not being installed. For example, the language i’m now using requires a certain C++ redistributable to be installed for new programs (as of this version) to work, and Valve is responding to dev requests to make things like this easier. The cost of automation, it appears.

Looks like there was a short spike around 6PM Pacific time yesterday, but nothing super massive or anything:

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/

Oh, so it’s related to what it happened to me yesterday when I finished downloading Battleborn. Usually the the VC and DX redist are silent and automatic, but this time the UAC jumped and after pressing yes, the installers appeared and had to go through it by hand. All very silly, I had all updated of course.

So, still no word from Valve on this?

More games added every year, yet people are buying less games and they are cheaper than ever before.

I see. His predicted “indiepocalypse” is still coming.

You know what key resellers are doing for me? Filtering out the endless shovelware that makes the Steam Store an embarrassment.

Look at this list. Note how those are titles you might actually think about buying.

Fistbump self for minor triumph in eternal struggle against entropy.

Summer sale dates leak? June 23 until July 4

I was looking at how much has sold Doom on Steam (and also the possible influence of Denuvo on sales), and I was wondering about the general health on the platform. For that, in a very arbitrary way, I looked at what games released on 2016 has sold 100K units or more with at least a price of $35 or more. That way we can look at the core games. The results:

DARK SOULS III 910,553
XCOM 2 788,391
Tom Clancy’s The Division 767,552
Rise of the Tomb Raider 737,502
Total War: WARHAMMER 523,228
DOOM 504,504
Hitman 199,929
Street Fighter V 159,611
Far Cry Primal 156,289
Battleborn 117,934
NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM 4 105,250
Stellaris 409,975
Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 134,997
Offworld Trading Company 116,726
The Witness 107,515

it’s curious how the best selling game is a traditionally console game, Dark Souls.

What methodology do you use to achieve a valid conclusion about Denuvo and sales? I am certain that the vast majority of buyers (>85%) would not have any idea what DRM is used or care.

On a related note; do you think Far Cry Primal sold so low because of Uplay or because it’s setting is hated by most potential customers when compared to the previous and more traditional iterations? If the current FarCry would have had a typical setting, I would have pre-ordered it. They had to go crazy and try fancy epochs? Fuck 'em! The game’s “director” surely sucked some French dick to get Primal approved. I’m 100% convinced.

How do you know the Hitman that sold 200k copies is the $60 edition vs the $15 intro pack?

Methodology? Valid conclusions? Lol. Absolutely anything at all.

I agree that the vast majority of buyers won’t have any idea of what DRM is used. But not the vast majority of players. Pirate players are very affected by Denuvo!

The only game where I only thought of maybe doing a comparison is Tomb Raider 2013 vs Rise of Tomb Raider. Same kind of game, same kind of reception, one without Denuvo and the other with Denuvo.