Steam numbers

oh. You got me. I didn’t think of that. It can be anywhere from $15, $25, $35 or $60.

reddit and 4chan are thataway, friend.

What the hell?

I uhh… well… crassness aside we must run in different circles. Most of the response I heard was interested in what could be done with Far Cry in a prehistoric setting.

Um, yeah I am totally burned out on the Far Cry Formula ™and was only interested in this game BECAUSE it was a new setting.

Yeah, the sales figures clearly agree. /not

A regular version would had had 800K+ sales.

Hopefully a lesson learned. Who cares though. Not me. I’m about done with UbiSoft anyway. The next FarCry and all beyond, will be too cloudy for me. Ubisoft is turning all SP games into MMO “experiences”, a la The Division.

5 months after release (during the most lucrative sales season of the year) and having been discounted at up to 40% in sales, Far Cry 4 had sold 360k copies on Steam. Based on that history, it’s silly to suggest that a “regular Far Cry” released instead of Primal would have sold 800k copies in 3 months when released in late February and having been in one 20% sale. It’s beyond absurd to claim it with such confidence.

This is a thread about numbers. It’s going to be a lot more useful if the numbers are even moderately based on reality, rather than invented out of thin air to support your own likes and dislikes.

I think unless you specifically buy Far Cry on Steam it is a UPlay key.

So Steam is a poor gauge of that title.

-Todd

The interesting part is, if games protected by that hard to crack DRM sell more copies now (as the industry always claimed will happen without pirates) or sales will stay the same (like DRM opponents claimed).
So far I haven’t seen sales sky-rocking so I think the industry has to look for other excuses for poor sales now.

You can at least add 1 to the column of those who haven’t bought that game precisely because of Denuvo, (and why I returned Mad Max to steam) :)

So I guess it is

1:504,504

:-)

Mad Max is Denuvo? Huh, I thought that had been pirated, and I thought Denuvo was uncrackable. Or is it just enough of a pain in the ass that it delays it a few weeks/months?

Looked it up, apparently it does use Denuvo and it was cracked, but Doom isn’t cracked yet.

Denuvo, from a specific date onwards, it hasn’t been cracked (yet). Internally, we have to imagine there are several versions of denuvo, as they had been improving the system and closing security holes. The cutoff point seems to be seen in Batman AK: the original 1.0 version was cracked, the patched version which improved a ton and came some months later isn’t. From that point, released games with Denuvo like Doom, Rise of Tomb Raider, Unravel and others hasn’t been cracked.

Its brand new so will take time to patch it out I would think, and its doing some new-fancy-things that makes it harder, kinda like how malware tries to defeat reverse-engineering as well, by using new and older Anti-RE tricks.

The original Denuvo cracks I think were because of bugs in the Denuvo implementation that they found and exploited.

I’m not that much into the “scene”. No idea of how it works and no idea of how it was cracked, or why they can’t crack it now.
I can only suppose it works like the virus creators vs antivirus developers, in an eternal feedback loop. So once someone release a working crack, the anticopy creators look at how the crack works and try to modify the next version so that specific way to bypass the protection can be used anymore.

Very guesstimation from the Steamspy guy, but he knows his stuff:

Steam Spy
‏@Steam_Spy
Based on this weekend changes in Steam audience I’d estimate Overwatch sold around 2.9M-3.3M copies on PC. That’s huge!

Don’t forget that as it has always been, there is the public scene and the well hidden one. It often takes “serious” internal group leaks for actual working cracks to seep into the public scene. I know many of you will dump on this fact, but that is fact. Many working cracks don’t seep into the general population which makes it seem as if games are not cracked, when often, they are but the good working cracks are very closely guarded.

That is generally called “INTERNAL” and is mostly because they do not adhere to the scene rules (Think ISO/ANSI standards) so they would not be allowed to be distributed through normal means.

Anyway; Back to numbers and my preferred title.

The Division:
http://steamcharts.com/app/365590#1m

Average last 30 days: 9900 players.
Peak was 113.000 players on launch.

SteamSpy is even more depressing: http://steamspy.com/app/365590
Players total: 754,184 ± 21,159 (98.57%)
Peak concurrent players yesterday: 9,763

It would be interesting to see the stats for the console platform that has less competition and no hacking (but also harder Aiming I’d think).

I’m not sure Destiny had as big drop in numbers?

For Ubisoft, the quick dropoff is actually a good thing - since they already have our money, now they can shutdown some of their infrastructure since they do not have to serve as many users.

I’m not in the “scene”, so don’t know intricate ins and outs but we agree on enough to be able to say that we are in agreement. Some games reported as uncracked, are actually cracked. As long as that is understood and accepted by others who usually tout Denuvo as the king bitch of DRM. It’s not.

Here is a challenge to Denuvo. Release your best/newest Denuvo wrapper on a disc based PC game that is not tied to any server linked checking. Instant defeat. It’s primarily why the industry killed off discs.

Relevant:

IRVINE, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–The world needs heroes, and citizens from London to Xi’an to Rio de Janeiro are rising to the occasion to join the ranks of Overwatch®! Blizzard Entertainment’s critically acclaimed team shooter launched worldwide on PlayStation®4, Xbox One, and Windows PC on May 24, and since then more than 7 million players have fought for the future inOverwatch, logging more than 119 million hours combined in one of the most successful global game launches of all time—and the battle is just getting started.*
“Over the months and weeks leading up to release we saw a lot of love and support for Overwatch—from Blizzard gamers, FPS fans, and people who’d never picked up a game like this before—and we’re very grateful for everyone’s incredible passion and enthusiasm,” said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. “We poured a lot of effort into creating a game—and a new universe—that anyone could enjoy. We’re ecstatic to have had such a successful launch, and we’re looking forward to all of the fun, competition, and new content still to come.”

Since launch, players have swapped heroes 326 million times and teamed up to deliver 11 million payloads to their destinations on the battlefields of tomorrow. In addition to being a smash with players around the world, Overwatch is a critical hit, and is one of the best-reviewed games of the year. GameSpot has called Overwatch “something spectacular,” while Forbes wrote that “Overwatch, quite simply, is a miracle” and that it’s “a game for everyone.” According to Game Informer, “Overwatch is an amazing experience,” concluding in its 10-out-of-10 review that “things will never be the same.”

*Based on internal company records and reports from key distribution partners.

Steamspy May YoY

May, 2015

Games counted (with over 1,000 copies moved): 2144
Total copies moved: 22,744,546
Median copies moved: 3,800
Total revenue: $280,576,113
Average price: $11.31
Average discount: 16.5%
Top 20 games total earnings: $96,558,196

Top 10 by revenue:

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Grand Theft Auto V