Steam numbers

I thought the same, along the line “I could swear past Steam sales already didn’t have flash sales…”

I think the Halloween and the Christmas sales didn’t have flash sales, but the Summer sales (the ones 1 year ago exactly) had.

Right - The last Winter Sale didn’t have them, but the last Summer Sale would have. Don’t remember about the Thanksgiving thing.

The Thanksgiving sale followed the same no-flash sale approach that the Winter sale did three weeks later.

I guess I’ve lost track of which ones did and didn’t. I guess I think you’d have to adjust out new comers or do some sort of per user comparison and then do a comparison to a year that had the flash sales to really analyze the change.

Do we have another general STEAM chat thread?

I’ll just mention it here, since I can’t find any other thread that seems to fit.

I saw over on GAF that screenshot storage space on STEAM has been increased to 20gig. I ran out of space back in March, and have been doing a bit of cleaning to make space, but overall just ended up taking less screenshots. Glad that Valve bumped up the storage space.

It never even occurred to me that space might be limited.

Then again, I never play anything worth screenshotting, and if I do, I never do anything worth screenshotting in it.

They totally noticed your lack of space and bumped it for everyone too. Thanks lordkosc! :P

20GB worth of screenshots is kinda of mind boggling actually. That’s like what, 10k at 2MB a pop?

I think the old limit was 5 or 6 gb , which I had filled up. :p

[quote=“ArmandoPenblade, post:1280, topic:66420, full:true”]Then again, I never play anything worth screenshotting, and if I do, I never do anything worth screenshotting in it.
[/quote]

The only time I screenshot is when I’m mashing at the keyboard and hit the wrong key!

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1327-WUJX-5722

Permanent Bans and Gift Restrictions
VAC and Game Ban enabled games can either be bought for your own account, or gifted immediately. They can no longer be saved to your inventory for trading purposes. If you directly gift a game to someone who gets permanently banned, you won’t be able to gift that game again.
Valve Anti-Cheat Technology (VAC)
Many games on Steam utilize the Valve Anti-Cheat System (VAC) or third party anti-cheat technology that can result in cheaters being banned from secure servers for multi-player games. You can learn more about VAC here. VAC bans are permanent.

Game Bans
Game Bans are used by game developers to address malicious behavior that falls outside of VAC detection. Game bans are determined by the game developer; they can range from single day bans to permanent bans. You can learn more about Game Bans here.

How does this affect gifting?
When a user is caught cheating, their Steam account is banned from playing multi-player on secured servers. This creates an incentive for people who cheat to stockpile copies of games on one account and to gift them to low value accounts where they can continue cheating. In response to this problem, Steam no longer allows users to purchase copies of VAC or Game Ban enabled games to their inventory. Additionally, if an account has directly gifted a game to other players who have been VAC or permanently Game Banned, then that account will lose the ability to gift that game.

We’ve taken these steps to ensure the integrity of the multi-player experience for those participating in online gaming communities. We understand that the restrictions on buying to inventory may be inconvenient for some legitimate users, but we believe that these steps will reduce the number of cheaters you’ll play against. And that’s important in having an online gaming experience that’s fair and enjoyable for everyone.

Will probably have a massive impact on CS:GO cheaters and the stockpiling and trading of CS:GO game keys.

Am I reading this correctly? If I gift Game A to XKillaStylezX, but I wasn’t aware that XKillaStylezX was VAC banned, then my account loses the ability to ever gift Game A to anyone else?

That’s how I read it. It seems like a very heavy-handed approach to close what I would have assumed was a fairly uncommon acquisition method for cheaters.

It sounds like (and based on the system would have to be) only going forward since with the new system you couldn’t gift if they were already VAC banned in that game and therefore owned it.

I don’t gift a ton of games but not a fan of this policy. I’ll probably have to tighten that down to people I know very well. Is there a list of Game Ban enabled games that are affected?

The reselling market is going to ‘crash’, with that new rule.

Key reselling a la CDKeys etc? How…?

It seems Steamspy owner got tired to companies asking for their games to be hidden in his site, and he removed the previous censor system.

For example, Paradox data

Stellaris is interesting…have they had any free weekends?

No, it just sold extremely well.

Seems like Techland was the last straw.

https://twitter.com/Steam_Spy/status/768792138549198848?lang=en

https://twitter.com/Steam_Spy/status/768793818296639489?lang=en