Steam Spring Sale 2023

The email address thing is doubly ridiculous because I have used one single email address for the last like 17 years. I actually tried every single email address I have ever had (I haven’t had that many), and none of them worked, so the whole thing is just bogus, obviously some problem on their end and they just don’t care about it.

Tried Tiny Civilization this morning before I jump back into Sekiro. This is a really great match 3, which i don’t play very much of. I made it to the Medieval age on my 3rd try. Things can go south fast - draining food and industry.

Anyone know how we advance to the next ages? Is it culture, or number of turns? I haven’t noticed.

Edit: it’s got to be number of turns.

Yeah, I think it’s just number of turns.

Tiny Civ is pretty cool. I just won and unlocked Hero mode. There were some pretty nice eras along the way, one of which put quite a bit of pressure on me.

Boy are they, and the music is very generic. I am gonna trust you and @Lykurgos (who has a very positive steam review for it) that this is worth sticking with, because the presentation is terrible! Coming from someone who thinks Conquest of Elysium looks pretty cool, that’s saying something.

My haul, my backlog is giving me a stare that could cut diamonds.

V Rising
Symphony of War
Library of Ruina
Barotrauma
Cult of the Lamb: Cultist Edition

Legion War is an incredible, gritty, anywhere from challenging to brutal level hex based wargame, with tactics and strategy layers.

Advice . . . . do not begin with the Campaigns. Begin with sandbox. Some of the Campaign(s) levels are incredibly brutally tough, and until you have experience with the mechanics they would likely just appear stupidly impossible.

Staking my rep on this one. For the strength of the push / pull, strategize, turn-based tactics emphasis, rating it similar to but above and beyond Fantasy General, Battle of Wesnoth, Advance Wars-a-likes. It is an incredible exemplar in the genre. I would rate the sandbox scenarios as equal in challenge and enjoyment to some of the best of the HoMM and Disciples II experience.

There is so much going on, between economy, exploration, unit development, equipment, magic, that there can be a bit of overwhelm at first too. Really tricky to know best what to focus on for benefit and you can absolutely go in different direction with your strategic choices e.g., which unit types to focus on, and what kind of combined-arms battle groups to form and nurture.

Report back!

Nope, although I’m playing on Steam Deck.

@Rock8man I’d add that the Unfinished Business Mod (not on steam, but not hard to install) promotes Solasta to a completely different level. It adds more races, classes, subclasses, feats, spells, and more, and includes multiclassing.

Talked myself into F4:GotY for $10, eventually I will play it with mods…

Well, I decided to splurge a bit this sale after pulling off a couple of big jobs this month. I usually link just the lesser known stuff but for completeness I’ve done the lot:

It’s always fun seeing people pick up Terminator Resistance.

Definitely one of the best “if you know what you’re in for going in you’ll do great” games around.

I think this is my final list…unless someone tells me something else I have to buy :-)

Nioh 2 The Complete Edition
HITMAN 3 World of Assassination + Deluxe Pack + Access Pass: HITMAN 2 Expansion + Seven Deadly Sins Collection
Rogue Tower
Puddle Knights
Strange Horticulture
Terraformers

I ended up going for two games inspired by Vampire Survivors:

Soulstone Survivors
Army of Ruin

Soulstone Survivors is fun but the screen gets very busy, making it more frustrating than it should be. Army of Ruin started out slow, but as soon as I increased my speed through permanent upgrades, the game really clicked for me. So far it’s my second favorite game of this type, behind only Vampire Survivors itself.

Hmm…color me interested with that description. DLC is also on sale, is that worth picking up?

• Steam Deck 256 GB
  • Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr Complete Collection
  • Kaiju Wars
  • Football, Tactics & Glory
  • TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children
  • Legion War
  • Caves of Qud
  • Dead Cells: Return to Castlevania
  • Brotato
  • Tiny Civilization
  • Strange Horticulture
  • Unavowed

I may yet come to my senses and refund some of these.

wytchwood was sadly a… disappointment ? I was wary of the game’s idea, and it didn’t work for me at all.

Heaven’s vault, on the other side, is incredible and I went by it, not knowing it existed till … dang, I can’t remember Mr. Hornbostel’s nickname right now. Anyway, until he pointed out that this game had been a commercial failure, in another Inkle game thread. what a shame they didn’t manage to market it to prime targets like me !

Having really enjoyed the core gameplay, reasons above, I bought both DLC packs - Elves and Dwarves - since they just add to the total variety, which is “nice”.

They also add campaigns, which are, like the base game campaigns, potentially enjoyable but with the huge caveat that some of the scenarios are things that maybe 1% of players will ever manage. If you do find yourself loving the core game AND you are up for very, very tough challenges, then the campaigns might add a lot of value.

That made me laugh out loud last night.

@Left_Empty yeah, I can’t deny gather-y craft-y gameplay loops are generally not for me but the idea of playing a grumpy witch in such a beautifully rendered world, and by the Cryptark devs too, was enough for me to pick it up. Not to mention, my girlfriend has been wanting it on Switch and we have a Deck now!

Yes! I’m really looking forward to Heaven’s Vault. I’ve seen it mentioned in the same breath as Outer Wilds, Return of the Obra Dinn and I believe Hypnospace Outlaw (which I still need to play) so I’m very excited :)