Steam Spring Sale 2023

Okay, sold, and I don’t think I’ve paid money for a point-and-click adventure game since the early 1990s. :) Thanks for the reco. It sounds fun, and might make a good title for my girlfriend, who didn’t discover gaming until she became a full-on Animal Crossing addict. She’s interested in trying more genres.

Only one more step…

I hope you both love it! I don’t know if you play games together, but it would be a great one for that.

Unavowed seconded

For perspective I admit it is very much my own preferences and taste. If you can get past the early 2000’s muddy textures, it has one of the most interesting and enjoyable economic models of any logistics games. The reactive pricing gradients (prices dynamically rise and fall over time based on supply, so a super profitable delivery route will lose value over time as supplying demand will cause the prices to drop at destinations) creates a very interesting puzzle.

Some people can’t get past the graphics, which are serviceable but notably limited poly and with very low res textures when zoomed out, but if you can it is one of my top 10 games all time.

The Surge 2 seems a good deal at $7.49.

I also picked up Dave the Diver on discount. It’s really good.

Welp, guess I’m not ignoring this Steam Sale! Last night I bought:

Terminator: Resistance
Roadwarden
Resident Evil Village
Race for the Galaxy (saw it hadn’t been culled from Tom’s boardgame shelf)
Dungeon Encounters
Bonfire Peaks
Against the Storm

And today I have added into my cart:

Unavowed
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition
Solar Ash
Neon White
Strange Horticulture
Chicory: A Colorful Tale

Haven’t pulled the trigger yet. The only thing stopping me is stupid, wonderful Game Pass.

Very tempted by this.

Me too, now that I looked it up, but it’s early access. Gah!

I already broke my no-early-access rule with Against the Storm.

Screw it, I’ll add it to my cart and see what happens.

Thanks for the reminder on this!

So I ran across the short games topic and just added these three to my library since it seems like almost all the games mentioned are on sale:

Gone Home
Overboard!
Florence

Interstellar Space Genesis is 67% off

And that’s $4 saved. I… might be bad at keeping tabs on what I own. And I even use GOG Galaxy. Sigh.

Destroy All Humans! 2 - Reprobed is 50% off at 19.99.

I’ve had this and the entire Blackwell series (and Gemini Rue and Resonance and who knows what else), sitting in my GoG library for what seems like forever. I know Unavowed is not part of that series, but is set in the same world. Is it worth playing all five Blackwells first?

No, no need to at all. Unavowed stands completely on its own. When you’re done, you can play the Blackwell series if you’re really hungry for more. They’re good, but a little shaggier and shorter.

I dropped money on a bunch of cheapo things, mostly (plus Rez, finally).

Tiny Civilization is a GREAT buy! It’s a match-3 game, but with a civ-like progression. I’m very impressed with the techs and their clever effects on the game. Wish there was more to it, but can’t complain about a lovely small game for a few bucks.

I played Unavowed and I’m on the fourth Blackwell. They really don’t feel related at all.

The Blackwell games are short. Really short. I played each of the first three in just over 2 hours. I enjoyed Unavowed a lot more, but the Blackwell games have been interesting enough to keep me playing. The short play time makes it easier to play in short segments and still have confidence of finishing rather than drifting off to another game.

Between this month’s humble bundle and the spring sale going on, a thing happened!

3-18-2023 11-02-46 AM

Worth it? Absolutely. It’s also worth playing all five Blackwells last. They have the most nominal of connections to Unavowed.

But the Blackwell games are gems. All the games designed by that main Wadjet Eye guy, Dave Gilbert (no relation to Ron), are. I haven’t found a non-Dave-Gilbert-designed Wadjet-published game that I love, though.

I concur, although I do think Excavation of Hob’s Barrow is worth playing, and I liked the bit of Resonance that I played (although I got stuck and set it aside). They seem very proud of Technobabylon as well, but I just can’t really do the cyberpunk thing…