Steam Stuff - What Has the Digital Distribution Giant Done Lately?

Apparently this works really great, according to the Everspace deva. They got more sales and engagement when able to stream directly onto their product page.

Twitch existed for a good while before Amazon bought them, and that was as a VC funded startup. They may not have the same money as Amazon but they are in a MUCH better financial position to pull it off than Twitch was at the time.

That being said I’m unsure of why they would do this. Running a streaming site costs a lot of money (only getting worse for higher and higher quality live streams, which also require transcoding systems so lower bandwidth users can have a good experience too). There’s not a lot of income on that business without a lot of auxiliary. The only thing I can think of is they are really scared that Twitch streaming + Twitch store has the ability to put a huge dent in Steam sales. It’s a lot easier to implement a store in your streaming site than the reverse though.

They gave more of an explanation on the DOTA2 page.

http://blog.dota2.com/2018/08/the-main-event-with-new-steam-broadcasting

With the killing of Twitch Prime benefits today, Steam.TV is sounding better and better

Got that email too. A bit surprised but honestly, not that much.

Wow, it actually seems to work fairly well.

I am fine with it. Happy for more competition for Twitch just as I am happy with more competition for Steam. It will be interesting to see how Valve intends on paying streamers though, subs, ads?

Not sure what you are talking about. The only thing that went away was ad free viewing, according to my email:

“All other Twitch Prime benefits, like monthly channel subs, monthly games and loot, and chat badges are not changing.”

Feh, I’ll just be happy if they let me on the thing.

Hats :)

I will happily watch it :) I do think Streamers getting paid though is pretty important, as well as fair. They are the ones creating the content after all.

Ad free viewing is everything. We are not Barbarians. Also the 20% preorder discount, which affects others more than digital-only me.

You are the Space Game Giant. They had better!

Hahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahha giant. Yeah. ;)

Seriously, thank you. I wish I was anywhere close to being a giant, but I appreciate the sentiment just the same.

It really is, though. The free games are nice, I guess, but have gone almost entirely unplayed (by me) so that benefit is pretty much theoretical.

The only part I’m really interested in is not having to watch ads. If that goes away, so goes Twitch.

I mean, just install an ad blocker. I can’t remember the last time i saw an ad on twitch.

Ad blockers only work on PC which is likely to be .05% of viewers

Your made up hyperbole is just as hilarious the second time.

Mobile also has ad blockers. And yeah lol hyperbole.

Oh right forgot about consoles, but yeah both iOS and Android allow ad-blockers on there.