Steam Stuff - What Has the Digital Distribution Giant Done Lately?

They’ll have to sell it on 8steam.

Big surprise. Steam may not articulate a policy, but they have one. Or they better have one.

It may be smart for Steam to not have an official policy, especially one that is published. No matter what they create there will always be two groups complaining about it. The first are the SJWs who will complain that some aspect of the policy is not specific enough or did not address a particular issue. The second are the 4chan trolls who will complain about how Steam is preventing free speech and catering to the carebears (or whatever term is in vogue for them at the moment). Meanwhile, someone will make a game that should be banned but will somehow circumvent the policy that Steam will then have to modify and the whole cycle of crying and recriminations starts all over again.

To avoid this they may be better off with Justice Potter Stewart’s obscenity policy of “I know it when I see it”. That may make for poor legal framework but is quite useful for a private company in dealing with something like this.

We’re still using that term? Why?

Because the term “SJW” has gone out of style.

It never was in style, it was just a good way to identify the angry gamers living in their mother’s basement. Kind of thought Qt3 was above that crap.

Well you can see how often I use it since I did not get it right the first time. I am sure it is out of style along with carebear or 4chan troll but then again I do not bother keeping up with the current lunatic fringe terms.

I was randomly watching John Carmack’s Oculus Connect 5 talk and he talked about how it’s sad that Oculus can’t give feedback when they reject your app but he understand why that’s the case. The problem app stores have is if they reject your application and give you reasons why, developers will directly address those items and complain if they get rejected again saying “but we did everything you told us”.

I guess none of the app stores want to have purely objective criteria, which gives them flexibility to reject people that purposely try to skirt the intent of the rules.

Ah, don’t take Carebear from me. How else will I be able to describe people who don’t play on the PvP servers?

That’s wishful thinking. If you hangout out in Politics and Religion, you start to get the impression that most of the people are reasonable to some degree although trolls exist. Then you hoop into Movies, and someone posts about Captain Marvel, or Wonder Women, or something with a strong female or minority protagonist, and you realize, nope, even Qt3 has a lunatic fringe.

And then you pop into the thread about medieval Europe, and you realize it’s worse than you thought. Then, you only feel sadness.

Fine, feel free to substitute whatever term you prefer for extremists on opposite ends of the spectrum. The point is that Steam could never please either group and do not need the headache so they are better off not having the whole conversation in the first place.

That seems like it would be a legitimate complaint. Because if it is rejected again, clearly the reason is not the one you gave.

We’re still using this insult? Why?

It’s evocative.

It’s accurate.

It’s also amusing to see someone complaining about a stereotype by invoking a stereotype.

I’ve also seen “incel” thrown around, and had to google it. Surprised some people finds that acceptable.

Not exactly sure what you mean but my limited exposure to the term gave me the impression it’s a self-applied label, not an insult. I could be wrong though.

Calling someone out as involuntarily celibate has been an insult as long as I’ve been alive, certainly, although typically phrased differently.

These days it’s also an online movement of mens rightsy women haters who feel they aren’t getting laid because a cabal of women is against them.