STEAM SUMMER SALE 2017, June 22-July 5

Hahahahaha, I’m just happy to spread the love.

Yup, I just got it as well :-)

Woooohooooo!

Small indie games only for me so far:
Cranks and Goggles ($1.74) – Stylish top-down racing game set in 1920s Europe that looks better than it plays. I would enjoy it more if I didn’t kind of suck at it or maybe if I had memories of playing whichever late '90s (I’m assuming) game inspired it. I like to play it in 20-30 minute sessions before becoming frustrated and giving up for the day.

Crowtel Renovations ($2.49) – Charming indie platformer. It’s fine. I was hoping it would put me in the mind of l’Abbaye des Morts or VVVVVV, but it’s not nearly that good. The sound is awful and the controls clunky at times, but I still enjoy it in short bursts.

I wanted Civ 6 for around $25, but that did not happen. I’m thinking of trying Sid Meier’s Starships and/or Ace Patrol in the meantime. I am also looking for a racing game to replace my beloved but long-in-the-tooth Race 07. I tried the Rfactor 2 demo and gave up after spending over an hour trying to unsuccessfully setup my XBOX controller in a way that worked for me. I think Assetto Corsa and Automobilista are the other two sims on the market at present; I’m skeptical of both but might end up settling for one anyway.

So. . . is that a recommendation for Starships with a small caveat? Like a UI thing or something?

It’s not a recommendation at all. Steer faaaarr clear of it.

Well, I’m pretty darn pleased with my haul. I mean, so far, but I don’t anticipate buying anything more than this.

For one thing, I’m about 7 hours into FF14 and really digging it (I just hit level 18!) and it’s scratching that Final Fantasy itch while I wait for 7/11 when FF12 drops.

But I can also play TW:Warhammer with two different races, and I only have a few weeks before Final Fantasy 12 drops to do that, plus I have a few more missions in Pathfinder (and no reason not to start a new party after that, even) so I have lots of games I’m directly excited to dive into already, buying anything on the Steam sale (even at a great discount - some incredible deals this sale) would certainly either divert me from stuff I’m actively enjoying now (best case scenario) or be something I stare at in my Backlog category for 3 months.

There are actually great looking games coming out every month from now until November, too, so it’s not like I’m anticipating a lot of down time for the rest of the year. I think I’ll just be happy with what I have, and maybe pick some of the (many) items on my wishlist that look fun up at the next sale.

Probably the best thing to come out of this sale has honestly been reading up on what you guys have been getting and are excited for - it gave me some ideas I hadn’t considered (or known about) to add to my own Wishlist, like Logistical, Brigador, and The Long Journey Home!

Excellent choices, sir.

They may have gotten overwhelmed, I am at about 7 hours and no show on the code. Second email did say it was “shipping”.

Steam purchases so far:
Brigador
Oh My Gore!
Northgard
Unexplored
StarCrawlers
Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander
LOGistICAL
Particle Fleet: Emergence
Hollow Knight
Streets of Rogue
Hyper Light Drifter

[quote=“Scott_Lufkin, post:518, topic:130155”]
For one thing, I’m about 7 hours into FF14 and really digging it (I just hit level 18!)[/quote]

Hey I’ve been back onto this too, as I picked up a cheap 60 day timecard. And Stormblood expansion… shhh. ;)

You mean level 18 in one of the 20 or so classes? ;) I started a new character, I’m around 16 in Gladiator and 5 or so in a bunch of the gathering/crafting ones. I think it’s good to get those going at the same time.

After such a strong rebuttal, I must confess you are getting me curious to try it =D
Careful with the reverse-psychology on some of us!

Sid Meier’s Starships is a tight little design, very Sid Meier, very gratifying for quick tactical spaceship combat in the context of a larger Meier-esque economy. I really like it a lot, especially as an on-the-go iPad game. That said, it’s also very Firaxis in that the AI is dumb as a box of rocks. So you have to think of the combats as tactical puzzles rather than head-to-head battles.

-Tom

For an extra $1.25 you could have gotten the far superior Conquest of Elysium 4 (currently on a 75% discount from $25 - in fact I would recommend you still get CoE4).

My best purchase of the sale so far has been Dawn of War Soulstorm for $3 and loading the Ultimate Apocalypse mod which is about a million times better than DoW3.

I suck at sales. Just bought playerunknown’s battlegrounds for $30. Reminds me of the last steam sale where my major purchase was an undiscounted Rimworld.

I also got Streets of Rogue for $7.5. I had a blast with it during the free weekend they did awhile ago.

Apparently I can get a steam copy of PlayerUnknowns Battlegrounds for $22 if anyone wants. I have an account tied voucher at GMG for 27% off. Just reimburse me via paypal . :)

It’s pretty cruel posting that just below my post!

:(

I just saw the voucher in my email , you could steam refund your copy! PM me if you want.

[quote=“lordkosc, post:528, topic:130155, full:true”]:(

I just saw the voucher in my email , you could steam refund your copy! PM me if you want. [/quote]

Sorry I know, I was only kidding, I just thought the timing was so coincidental it was funny. Going through the refund process would be too much hassle, thanks for the offer though!

Picked up a bunch of smaller games like Lost Castle, and based on the recommendation in the Neogaf thread mentioned above: Furious Angels.

It’s a very small and focused dogfight game, but being a fan of stuff like Luftrausers, that is more than enough for me. Sessions usually rather short, so it’s perfect to quickly kill some time. Controls are fun, and it gets the ‘pewpew’ feel right. It offers a bit more session variety compared to Luftrausers in that there are two upgrade tiers for you ship that you reach after destroying a certain amounts of ships - you get a bigger ship with better lasers at the cost of being slower and thus an easier target. Once a tier 3 ship gets destroyed, you’re back at tier 1. (If your tier 1 or tier 2 ship gets destroyed: game over.) Unlike Luftrausers, there’s only that one ship type and there are no customization options.