STEAM SUMMER SALE 2017, June 22-July 5

I would be quite surprised to see Doom go sub $10 or even sub $17. But I suppose one can dream. I think they will be $19.99 again.

I just realized this is the 7th summer sale! So I went back and looked at previous years buys, and I actually have played all the games I bought up to 2014! So I only have a 3 year backlog.

I got DOOM for $15, so it’s possible.

Yeah I recall it being $15 a month or two ago at some site. I doubt it will hit $10 (I doubly doubt KSP will either since I don’t recall it ever going below $20), but I can wait until it does.

Man, WTF Doom. Just an amazing single player campaign, super satisfying, and here I am thinking of tearing through it again with the three DLC that have been released since I last played it around launch.

All three DLC are … multiplayer focused?

Bah.

Shadow Warrior 2 for $15? Will it happen?

(hmm it’s $26.66 on Gog, so likely won’t go below that price, not yet anyway)

Current wishlist, mostly quick indie games I want to blow through. I’ll buy anything at 50% off or less, which is pretty rare on Steam these days.

Bleed 2
Furi
Hyper Light Drifter
DoDonPachi Resurrection
Blue Revolver (shmup)
Brigador
The Surge
Maybe the new River City Ransom. Meh…

Nope.

Nope.

Yep.

Your bad at video gaming.

Physical copies of Doom for PC (i.e. Steam codes in a box) were going for $12 here a couple of months ago. And it’s a territory where Bethesda games on Steam have a 20% markup. So $10 in a Steam sale is plausible.

I’ll get Logistical whether it ends up on sale or not.

I might get Nier: Automata or Prey if the price is right. (But at least Prey is unlikely, see above for the local Bethesda markup).

Judging by the prices people are hoping for, I fully expect this to be declared a terrible Steam sale. As usual. (Which means I will buy 10 games and be completely happy with it.)

I thought it was pretty terrible last year. I am not even sure I bought anything.

This sale I’ll get - if it actually goes on sale - Quadrilateral Cowboy. Maybe Hadean Lands and/or Samorost 3.

Mostly just an opportunity to pick up something special to play when I’ve got some time off this summer.

Most of the items at the top of my wishlist are newer, so I don’t expect big discounts and will probably pass: The Surge, Dirt 4, Prey, Front Office Football 8, Sniper Elite 4, Logistical, Warhammer Sanctus Reach

Some older things that I want and will get if the price is right are: Twilight Struggle, Shadow Warrior 2, Soma, Firewatch, Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture, Age of Empires 2 / 3 HD

There is some DLC I’d bite on too: OTC, Total War Warhammer

I’m sure there is some other stuff if it went cheap enough I’d grab.

I’m hoping to pick up Hyper Light Drifter.

Of the games I know on that list- SC isn’t going to be $10 (it’s worth it at $19 though easily), Cosmic Star Heroine won’t be $10 (it’s a solid game, but you can wait- I enjoyed it), and friends don’t let friends buy Civ VI.

XSEED doesn’t believe in deep sales of its games, they haven’t dropped the price below $19.49 in about a year.

Looking back over my Steam purchase data for the last 6 years, I buy on average $300 worth of games on Steam each year, with the Summer Sale averaging 25% ($75) by value of the yearly spend. So that will be my budget this year - now to see how many titles I can get for that amount.

The problem with the Steam sale is I tend to buy games I’m interested in when they come out, so what is left on my Wishlist is stuff other people suggested or that I thought looked “kind of neat” and as such I’m not actually directly interested in them. So when said game drops down even 50% but is still like $15-20, I’m maybe not going to invest even that much money into it.

If I were to wait and only buy games on Steam sales though, I could literally save hundreds of dollars and get all the games I really, really wanted. Who has that kind of willpower though?

Quite a few gamers have the will power to wait! There is even a sub Reddit for it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

A gaming sub for people who wait at least 6 months after release to play a game. Whether it’s because they won’t/can’t pay full price, are waiting for bugs/issues to be patched, DLC to be released, don’t meet the system requirements, or just haven’t had the time to keep up with the latest releases.

I limit myself to 1 full priced game a month, plus my Humble monthly subscription. Everything else I want gets wish-listed and won’t be bought until at least 50% off.

I picked up $100 in gift cards for the summer sale. So that is my limit. :)

The only way to determine a game’s true worth.

@TimJames out of curiosity, did you ever play Abyss Odyssey by ACE Team? Strikes me as a game you may enjoy. It’s a weird mash-up (mechanically and aesthetically) but I found it constantly surprising and rewarding, if obtuse at times.

The game comes alive when you unlock all your cancel points which allow you to start chaining your special moves together. Unfortunately it seems a lot of people either don’t get this far, or simply don’t get it, hence all the mixed reviews on Steam.

Love that sub Reddit @lordkosc.