STEAM Summer Sale 2018

I picked up -

Remember Me
Age Of Decadence
UnderRail

Total damage - $18

I feel like I should buy a game, because there are so many, but then I look at my games in progress. Styx, Horizon Zero Dawn, Planet Coaster, DOS2, MHW and the games coming. Anno 1800, some coop FPS, Tropico, Two point… and I ask myself when are you going to have time for all these dang games.

Planet Coaster worth $20 you reckon? My daughter and I had a BLAST with Parkitect but I think we are kind of done with it for a while.

Silly goose, you don’t make time to play the games, you make time to buy new games. Because acquiring games is the best game.

Helpful!

Damage today:

The Long Dark
Hearts of Iron IV
Dying Light
OOTP Baseball 19
Franchise Hockey Manager 4

+1 Like

Excellent choice. I encourage others to pick up these two games as well, they are some of the best RPG experiences available today, both at the forefront of their respective niches.

On the wishlist discussion further up - I try to keep my wishlist within 50 titles, and will clear out the least interesting games as time goes on. I use it primarily to alert me of discounts on games I’m interested in but not willing to pay full price for. That usually means I’m waiting for a discount to <$10 for indies or DLC, or <$20 for AA/AAA games (and, aiming for complete editions with all DLC).

There are relatively few games I’ll buy at full price anymore, maybe one per year, and I usually regret doing so (e.g. Far Cry 5 - decent but definitely wait for a discount). I’m strictly single-player focused, so the bug stomping, visual upgrades in definitive editions, and deep discounting of base+DLC that come with time far outweigh the only two motivations to buy early - wanting to enjoy the multiplayer base in the early days, and wanting to be caught up in the general buzz (in a forum, for example).

When a good sale of a single title comes up, I’ll normally pull the trigger without hesitating. For larger Steam sales, I pretty much just sort by price and take the most titles that add up to ~$50. I’ll skip some sales if my backlog of unplayed games is too large. But, I’ll also cull my backlog mercilessly - I try to give each game 5-10 hours and if it doesn’t deeply grip me I chuck it. Longer games (RPGs, open world) often get chucked as soon as they feel like a chore or grind - I just gave up on Far Cry 5 at about 20 hours and I’d guess 2/3 through. Once I delete a game from my backlog I very rarely every try it again, unless some really compelling post or article piques my interest again. This keeps my list of installed games limited to a half dozen mostly PDX and management/colony games I rotate through endlessly, and about as many new titles that I’m waiting to sample/finish. I never feel bad about deleting a game from my backlog after 5-10 hours, given I spent so little on it and the gems’ price/value more than makes up for it. There are too many good games to feel obliged to complete a long one that cost as much as a cheap meal out. As others have noted, with time I’ve come to care more about good experiences in well designed packages, rather than games that just fluff hours and hours of play for no good reason except making the value ratio look better (I don’t include aforementioned PDX/management games in this category!).

Oh, right, this is about what’s on sale. I picked up:

• Transistor
  • Absolute Drift
  • SteamWorld Heist
  • The Turing Test
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • EVERSPACE™ - Ultimate Edition
    Total: $49.09

You might want to refund that one. It’s in a bundle cheaper than the sale:

Wow, Metal Gear Solid V Definitive Edition is WAY WAY cheaper than MGS V Phantom Pain. What a rip - off if you are not careful

Heh, it’s true. I am losing at his particular game. Is someone gave me 10k right now to buy nothing but steam games with, not sure i even know that many games to buy.

I think the same thing when I see @BrianRubin’s wishlist numbers. I couldn’t find that many games I wanted if I really tried.

If you have any interest in Cold War subs and liked Red Storm Rising buy it immediately. It’s a game I keep coming back to. They also recently added the South China Seas - free.

Very mild damage here, because of an unfortunate happening: I bought Battle Brothers as I was planning to, but I did not get it to work under Wine (actually, since the latest Steam update, the Valve client itself has been quite troublesome to get to run).
Heartbroken, I asked for a refund.
I grabbed The Cat Machine, Thaumistry and RPGolf — that last one is really, really junky, quite the amateurish effort. And I also bought the newly released Fanatic character for One Deck Dungeon.
Total amount: 7.52€

I’ve bought two games and I’m done, they are the best games on steam though, @Left_Empty will realize this soon:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/686450/The_Little_Ball_That_Could/

I’ve been hesitant to buy anything on my backlog now that I’m on the Humble Monthly Bundle plan.

So far all I’ve picked up is Slay the Spire. Hmm…

Yikes, this could be a painful sale for my wallet. 13 wishlist items on sale, and most of them are ones I really want, and/or are unlikely to be discounted much more.

Likely purchases:
Getting Over It
Tooth and Tail
Gold Rush
Space Tyrant
Deep Sixed
Battletech
TW: Warhammer 2
Chuchel

Possible guilty purchase:
Aerofly FS2 Orbx Innsbruck Airport

Depends what you’re looking for. If you want a content creation tool to make really nice looking rides and parks (or just download them from modders), it’s fantastic. The game part is merely OK, though.

Steam games are the beanie babies of the 2010s.

Ew. No. You can’t resell Steam games to idiots like you could with Beanie Babies.