STEAM Summer Sale 2018

You can do a mass confirm though.

Ha, glad I finally did something useful on Qt3 :)

Most of the cards are just accessories of the Steam machine. A few have decent art, and I think @Mark_Asher once said he likes some of them just to collect like real trading cards. But yeah, badges mostly. Crafting a badge gets you more points on the Steam level treadmill and also…well, more cards but sometimes other trinkets like icons or background art. Mostly it’s useless stuff, but occasionally I get something like a rare icon or card that for whatever reason some people are willing to buy for decent Steambucks.

Oh.

:/

Just spent a ton of money on something else - and you go and remind me about Particle Fleet Emergence and DLC.

Damn you Brian!!

Round 2:
Into the Breach
West of Loathing
Halcyon 6 + DLC
Zafehouse Diaries 2

I bounced off Halcyon 6 pretty hard. It doesn’t do a good job of explaining itself and I got stuck. West of Loathing is great.

Been debating on this one; how does it compare to Kingdom of Loathing? I enjoyed the humor in that game, but in the end, the combat was just too monotonous for me to keep going.

Youuuuuuuuu’re welllcome.

Round 2 is dangerous, I have another 5 games in my cart, I am hoping to ignore them till the sale ends.

Don’t feel bad, while I got through Halcyon 6 and liked it, it didn’t quite grab me as well as it did for some other folks.

I played the first Zafehouse Diaries, would be interested in your thoughts on the second. Thought the first had some interesting ideas for a cheesy flash-like game but ultimately got really grindy. Cool thing is you can hack the config file and cut through some of the grind.

You need to get them now so you have time for round 3

My haul thus far

War for the Overlord: I am not a fan of this type of game but their generosity towards TB’s family is enough to get me to buy.
American Truck Simulator: Crusin’ down the road trying to loosen my load
Slay the Spire: Damned Qt3 effect
Last Hope - Tower Defense: Simply because
Superflight: I put on music in the background and it’s a more fun version of Audiosurf

What is Past is Prologue Award
I was looking at the DLC for Tropico 5 thinking it might be fun to play that again. After spending a half hour debating which ones to get, I looked and realized that I already owned almost all of them that I got in some sort of bundle many moons ago. So now I am playing Tropico 5 again and it feels like a new game.

Would anyone mind checking over my wishlist for advice? These have been sitting on here forever – it’s rare that I buy games (as opposed to obsessively replaying games I already own). I don’t object to other suggestions either, but they just can’t be TOO demanding on my PC, and I’d like to not spend more than $15 per game.

1. The Stellaris: Humanoid Species pack and Synthetic Dawn robot pack at about $13. Shut up, I like Stellaris.
  2. Ultimate General: Civil War at $10.49
  3. Alpha Protocol at $1.49
  4. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines at $4.99
  5. Cities: Skylines for $7.50
  6. Valkyria Chronicles at $6.75
  7. Fallout 1 and 2 for $5
    8 ) XCOM2 for $20
  8. Drox operative and expansion for $7.50
  9. a shit ton of Rocksmith tracks. Though I haven’t played my guitar in a long time.
  10. Guns of Icarus Alliance for $3.75
  11. Battletech for $31.99. That’s a little expensive for me, though I’m sure it’s a fine game.

Other games that I have spent a lot of time playing and enjoying in the last few years: Civ IV with mods (yes, still), Elite Dangerous, FTL, the Shadowrun Returns games, Planescape: Torment: Tides of Numenera, Kerbal Space Program, Age of Decadence, Age of Wonders III; and on the PS4: Witcher 3, Fallout IV, Horizon Zero Dawn, and GTA 5. And I have Pathfinder: Kingmaker kickstarted.

I’ve always been a fan of Alpha Protocol and thought it didn’t get a fair shake. I’d recommend it for $1.50

That said, if you want a lot of replayability you can’t go wrong with XCOM2 or Battletech

What is this round 2 and round 3 stuff?

Yeessssssssssssss.

YESSSSSSSSSSS

Those are only in the wishlist at all because of your frequent, exuberant recommendations, Brian. :)

Why haven’t you bought them, then?

Some thoughts on the ones I’ve played:

Alpha Protocol is great but flawed. I love it, but there’s a good chance it frustrates you to no end.
I think Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines is the best RPG there ever was, but it too is flawed. A community patch fixes many issues, but not all.
Valkyria Chronicles is super cool until its insipid plot starts imposing on the gameplay. It’s core gameplay gimmick/innovation is probably worth the price alone.
I bounced off the early Fallouts when I tried them for the first time. Never went back.
XCOM 2 is the most polished of these games I’ve played. It’s also the best of these overall, but if you’ve played the first recently you might be in the mood for something different.
Battletech is very solid, but I can understand waiting for the price to drop further. Especially since XCOM 2 is in the same genre and better. Since you mentioned it, I wonder if it’s too demanding for your PC though?

Think of it as a boxing match where the steam sale is your opponent. You think you’ve finished them off, given it all you have but then they get up again and taunt you with their pixel art roguelikes and open ended strategy games.

Hey all, is Age of Wonders III perfectly good as is, or is there an indispensable DLC for it?

Also in my my Discovery Queue just now (probably because it’s not being crapped up by “ero” anime weeaboo crap) I actually spotted something interesting called ECHO. It’s a 3d person sci-fi action/puzzle looking thing. I hadn’t heard of it at all before now. Anyone played it? (BTW what do I have to do to make the image appear properly? Just pasting the URL in doesn’t do the trick. WAIT, I guess the preview fooled me, it does.)