Steam Thanksgiving Sale Damage Thread

I feel bad for Eidos Montreal. DX MD is amazing game that got such raw deal. Get it people.

For me, I might get Hellblade but I would be less hesitant if it was 50% off. Not sure if I will like it.

It’s worth it at full price. It’s basically one of those Zachtronics pseudo-coding games, but as a first person adventure with quirky humour.

There are articles on the web that can fill in the gaps in the stories from 1 & 2.

Tomb Raider Reboot complete, Dishonored, and Southpark stick of truth for less than 15 dollars. Haven’t played any of them. I’m debating whether I should spend another 15 dollars. Enjoying this sale.

I bought the Fire and Steel expansion to Monster Slayers. That’ll be all…

I can understand skipping 1 because of its age and combat style, though I still feel the story is compelling enough to do it. However, it is a bit ‘crude’ nowadays and is really quite standalone (and yes, youtube videos can catch you up). However, I’d personally be hard-pressed to say skipping 2 is okay. It isn’t as “old”, and introduces more characters that are important to the Witcher universe. Even moreso if you’re willing to read the books (the two short-story novels at a minimum). The amount of call-backs/references/tie-ins make it one of the most “immersive” universes I’ve played.

Nothing requires that you play 2 though. I’d almost say the books are more important to W3 than the games. My son played all 3, and didn’t understand fully why he should care about the overall plot in W3, whereas reading the books I fully understand why.

Add Resident Evil 4 HD and Deux Ex Mankind Divided for another $15. I’m having fun!

$30 spend so far for 5 fantastic games. Hmmm. Bring it to $45?

Got a pretty eclectic haul of things I mostly wouldn’t have bought otherwise:

Opus Magnum
Steins;Gate
Yonder
Observer

All for the price of one new triple-A game. Still wavering on Hegemony III. I’ve heard such mixed things about it.

Okay this is getting out of control here.

It started with Bayonetta on Tuesday.
Grabbed that Shenzhen solitaire thing from Zachtronics (nifty, by the way) and OTC’s Jupiter Forge DLC…
And then Matrix happened.
Flashpoint Campaigns and its German Reforged extra scenarios (this game is like the sequel to Theatre Europe! I am 10 year old again!)
Decisive Battle Barbarossa
Heroes of Normandy

Probably going to grab Commands and Colours The Great War before monday too.

I am justifying all those purchases by saying that they are saving me money because they are games I don’t have to buy a new computer to play. Yup.

Tried then refunded:

Arizona Sunshine
Ashes of the Singularity
EVE Valkyrie
Stardew Valley

Nothing bought.

Cue suspicious email from Steam.

I’ve played about 5 hours of Witcher 1.

I had no problem following the story.

Well I suppose you know whom to call on if you need to know the reason to care about any particular plot element! Or ring @rhamorim, he’d set you straight too ;)

Well, you’ll miss all the references Witcher 3 makes to the previous games, and the backstory and motivations of some of the characters you’ll meet, but you’ll not feel lost because Witcher 3 does a great job of being somewhat “self-contained”. i’d say that experience with the previous games (and books) enhances the Witcher 3 experience, but you’ll still have a great time if you haven’t played the other games.

Now that I think about it, I think reading the books adds much more to Witcher 3 than the previous games ever did. Again, Witcher 3 is a great experience even if you haven’t read the books. But if you have, there’s a whole new layer in the experience that’s just fantastic.

Witcher 2 story was so good, it should never be skipped. :(

Yes, but we live in an imperfect world where we have to convince people to even play Witcher 3.

Thanks for all the Witcher tips. I think you guys are right. I should at least starts and finished Witcher 2, which has been in my backlog for a few months before venturing into Witcher 3. Oh, how I wish I had the time I had when I in my teens…

I had no idea what the fuck was going on in Witcher 2.

Man, I didn’t comment on this since I though the consensus advice you were getting was to not bother with Witcher 2 :(

Time has not been kind to W2; I already found it basically unplayable around the W3 release. And it’s not at all necessary for enjoying W3. Please do not feel that you have to play W2 first, especially if time is limited.

Right, W3 is open enough that you can cruise around working out what’s going on. W2 is much more constrained as I recall, as it tells you its story its way, involving some awkward sections and a bit of clunk here and there, especially in the beginning.

Am I dumb for thinking about purchasing Rimworld, a title that’s not on sale, during the Steam Thanksgiving sale? It won’t go on sale for a long time, if ever. And given what I know of it, I think the odds are quite high I’ll play it a lot. And I guess I’d rather spend normal price money on a game I’m going to play then buy a bunch of bargain games that’ll sit in my backlog forever. I know that’s a heresy but it is what it is.

I got three that I’ve had my eye on for some time:

• Bomber Crew - If Bruce could get over the cartoony graphics, I figured I could too without losing any nerd street cred. It’s a bit frantic for my taste, but I think I like it.
  • Solar Settlers - I saw this on the stream so I knew what I was getting into. I expect this to be my go to game for when I have 30 minutes of downtime.
  • Quadrilateral Cowboy - I was afraid this would just be some kind of hipster nonsense, but it’s got coding puzzles in it, and I love those.

I think the odds are quite high I’ll play it a lot.

If you like Rimworld you will end up playing it for dozens or even hundreds of hours. I regret most of the games I buy, but I’ve never for a moment thought Rimworld wasn’t worth every penny.