Steam Trading Cards

I try to collect the Warframe ones to “level up” and trade the others.

I buy cards, but use only the money from selling cards to do it. I often buy cards to complete a set, mainly for level 1. And then any extras I get (booster packs), duplicates and such I will sell.

Ditto. Really, just some dumb thing to do a couple times a year when I’m waiting to bail from work. Like fiddling with my steam profile page.

Same, although one bored, drunken, Christmas night I blew $5 on cards to try to level up so I would get booster packs more often (which still seems to be about once every 4-6 months).

I just like collecting stuff, and enjoy the profile backgrounds I get from it.

When I play a game and receive the free card drops, I will usually sell any duplicates then toss $0.50 or so at purchasing whatever I am missing just to get the Level 1 badge for the game. Usually I wait until the Summer or Winter sale to actually craft the badge, as you often get an extra reward (Sale Card) for completing a badge. I also sell most of the booster packs I receive (unless I’m working towards the first badge for the game), and I will usually only do one or two levels of a Sale badge, then sell the remainder of my summer/winter cards, so in the end all my card buying is done with “house money”.

That said, I’m only Steam Level 37ish…so I only see a booster drop on rare occasions, maybe 3 times per year. When the program first started it seemed like they sold it as being a lot more common than that. I suppose if I bothered to boot up more of the hundreds of card eligible games I own and just idle them for cards I’d probably zoom up the levels pretty quickly finishing off badges, but then I’d have to spend real money.

I don’t idle games for cards. When I am really bored and want to play a game but don’t know what, I will sometimes look at the badges, find a game I haven’t played and play it until I at the very least collected all the cards. The cards give me some minor motivation to play some of the games I bought just because they were on sale. Plus it gives me a reason to stick with a game I might not like at first.

I make a point to complete the card sets for the various sales (Summer Sale, etc.), but that’s relatively trivial and the duplicated cards I get for a sale always pay for the one or two cards that I am missing at the end.

If I play a game for some utterly silly amount of time (like over a hundred hours), I will probably have a buttload of cards and in such a case I’ll buy the one I’m missing to complete the set.

But in both cases the money we are talking about is around 7 to 15 cents, at worst.

Has anyone else been getting random sets of cards in their inventory lately? Twice in the last week I’ve received 2 to 3 cards from games I own, but I’m not currently playing. It’s kind of like the booster packs, but these aren’t coming in as that. It’s just the cards. Did Steam change the way booster packs work?

I don’t remember the game but I do think a few weeks ago I suddenly got a few trading cards for reasons unknown.

It’s a new thing. You get cards now when they’re added to a game you’ve already played.

Also if it’s for low volume indie games, they often have drops delayed so they can be reviewed for trading card harvesting and the like. Once that passes, any cards you should have received will all magically appear.

Ah ok, that makes sense. Thanks.

Wait, should I be paying attention to cards? I just have them, sort of swirling around.

I usually just sell them for a couple cents to somebody who wants them.

Install Enhanced Steam for Chrome, and then if you use the two factor authentication with the phone app you can sell them all pretty quickly if you don’t mind taking a cent or so less per card than they are probably worth.

Yeah I saw that quick sell option, that is new right?

Sold around 30 cards last week.

Winter Sale badge time.

I need cards : 1 & 4

Can trade : 3, 5, 6, 7, 9 & 10

SlainteMhath on Steam.

Leeabe on there. Feel free to offer any trades for those.

It’s about that time of the sale. I’ve got most of the cards I want and a pile I don’t need. If any of the following sound like something you’d be interested in, hit me up with a trade offer.

Want: 1x card 7
Have: 1x card 2, 3x card 5, 3x card 6, 4x card 9, 1x card 10, 3x card 11

I think I made you an offer for one you have dups of and one you need.