Steamworld Quest - RPG Fantasy Card Game

It should earn back that extra lost point between 8 and 9 simply for the fact that it has unique Punch Card patterns for every card. It didn’t used to be that way back in the alpha, the old footage everybody had the same punch card. But now they’re all unique and all punchy. It’s quite the technology.

I didn’t realize they made those actually unique, that’s amazing.

@Lunarstorm is this game still coming today? The eshop now says 4/25, but I don’t know if there are time zone factors in there.

Yeah. Longer form deck building also has the advantage of reducing luck as a factor - for all Slay the Spire’s charms the success of any given run is really far too affected by chance for my tastes.

This looks really promising, hope it comes to PC in short order.

Same here, looks like it’ll be tomorrow. I wanted to play it today, but I suppose I can wait a whole extra day…

@vinraith @SadleyBradley

It’s not a Rogue; it’s a story based RPG that uses cards as the battle structure for when combat starts.

That’s exactly what I was hoping for!

I just got home from the hospital in the first thing I did was get on my Switch and order SteamWorld Quest. So as soon as it goes live tonight I’ll be ready to roll.

Sorry to hear you were in the hospital. I look forward to playing this game too, though my purchase might have to wait until tomorrow or this weekend.

When you pre-purchase a game, a non-playable version of the game will be pre-loaded to your system at the time of your order. You’ll be able to start playing it after downloading a small update, beginning at 12:00 a.m. ET on the game’s release date.

*checks time*

Yay, woohoo. Let’s roll. Time to play!

(Please note that some third-party titles are not available until 12:00 p.m. PT on the game’s release date.)

Boo, hiss! I hate you!

I woke up this morning and checked - it’s live. I played for about half an hour when I should have been going to the gym, had to make myself stop playing, it’s quite awesome so far. I found a hidden chest with a handy accessory, fought a big beast, and gained a level all within moments of firing it up, and it’s everything so far I hoped it would be right out of the gates, I cannot wait to play more. Might be a half day for me. ;)

I’m glad you posted it’s live. I had to restart my Switch, then I finally got an update and it was live this time.

Going through the tutorial now. Playing in standard difficulty first time through. I’ll probably get 20-30 minutes with it before I gotta sleep.

Uhoh, famous last words on quarter to three.

I played a bit more before work, it’s so freaking good. I’m playing on normal (Knight) difficulty myself, easy was appealing but I didn’t want to down play the importance of playing smart and I didn’t want a super challenge, so hopefully Knight doesn’t confound me in the late game or something. We’ll see! At least if it does I’ll have a reason to restart and make new choices with regards to party members and cards when I play on easy?

The game layers in new concepts with every fight so far in this little tutorial area, and for those wondering I’m pleased to say there is some great stuff here, from being able to examine enemies for their stats/weaknesses/active effects and using items in fights (consumables) to equipping better and more varied loot (weapons and accessories). I just got my third party member, and unlocked Heroic Chains and I was instantly smitten. Such a great start to the journey, I can’t wait to get back to it.

For those of you who’ve already played it - how do you think it would be for someone like me who’s never been interested in card-based games like this? The entire concept is a turn-off to me but I’m willing to give it a try since I absolutely love everything esle Steamworld.

If you don’t like card games, and you buy a card game, you’re gonna have a bad time.

Any word on when the PC release will be?

Is this standalone from the other Steamworld games, or is there any sort of running narrative? I’m hoping standalone simply set in the same world. And is there a physical release now/planned?

I don’t think really any of the other titles had a running narrative with each other, did they? Heist seemed wholly separate from Dig, though I suppose Dig 1 and 2 did have a continuation from one to the other, iirc. In any case, so far this seems entirely distant from Heist and Dig, story wise as well as setting.

@LMN8R I guess all I can suggest is watch some reviews and see if it’s something you’ll be able to enjoy, there is just no way anyone can answer that for you.

@Dan_Theman nothing so far, but we know more platforms are planned and coming, just no ETA.

Yeah, I didn’t think so, but I wasn’t sure. I have the first Dig and Heist (and picked up the Steamworld Tower Defense game a few weeks back), but I haven’t played them yet. But Quest is something I’ll make time for right now as long as it doesn’t spoil some meta narrative.